Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

12 days: San Diego-Legoland-L.A- Big Sur(Monterey)- S.F. Too ambitious?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all:

I am planning a trip for my family - my husband and I, and 3 kids (10, 7, and 1) in late April. I already purchased the tickets, flying into SD and flying out of SF. We have to go to San Diego and LA to see friends and relatives. So I figure we will visit the zoo and beach in S.D. then head to Legoland and LA. Kids have been to Disney and Seaworld in FL in 2009, so this time I don't have plan for either. Prob. just Getty Center in LA.

I think the highlight of the trip will be the rt.1 dirve, as well as SF. Should we stay 2 or 3 nights in Monterey area? Will 3 nights in SF be enough? We prob. won't have time for Yosemite Park , right? Maybe I should save it for our next trip, along with other wonderful national parks? What about wine country? Though kids prob. won't be able to enjoy as much.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 05:38 AM

That would be plenty of time for me.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 06:35 AM

When traveling with kids I like to have at least two and preferably more days in each place we stop, though we have thrown in the one day mid-way stop to break up long drives. So you might think about your trip as follows: 3 days San Diego (with Legoland on the last day on your way to LA), 3 days in LA (highlights include Santa Monica Pier for the kids and Manhattan Beach or other beach community for the adults, Long Beach Aquarium, LA Zoo, tons of museums though my son loves Air and Space best, in Pasadena you can visit Kidspace children's museum and the Huntington Gardens & Library is a good trip with its multiple gardens, art/library, indoor rain forest and children's fountain playground, the girls always love the American Girl store at The Grove at LA Farmer's market, Hollywood can get a little boring for the kids but they might enjoy seeing a movie at one of the old theaters), 1 day Santa Barbara (Beach Walks, Zoo) or Pismo Beach (Beach fun, kite flying) or Cambria (Hearst castle), 2 days Monterey (plan to arrive in the afternoon, spend one full day in Monterey to explore the Aquarium, Cannery Row, 17 mile drive, and on departure day drive to Carmel to wander around, enjoy lunch, then off to SF), 3 days SF. I think 2 full days/3 nights in SF is enough time to see the major sights. On a recent trip our kids really enjoyed the California Academy of Science, de Young art museum (a special exhibit on a recently studied artist made it more interesting than I expected for the kids) and the Japanese Tea Garden. Order tickets in advance. Also the food at both the Science Academy and the deYoung were surprisingly good (with healthy options). They also enjoyed riding the cable car. In San Diego, the kids loved both the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. They also enjoyed renting one of those multi-people bikes and pedaling around Coronado. The kids have not much enjoyed our wine-country stops though on the last trip to Sonoma we combined it with a trip to Safari West which ended up being a highlight not just of the trip but of the year. We enjoyed a super visit with an overnight stay in one of their family "tents." If you decided to do Napa or Sonoma you could drop one of the coast days. Sounds like a great trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM

I'd say no time for Yosemite and its possible April weather delays.

Consider the Wild Animal Park near San Diego, there is probably a Zoo/Park combo ticket since they are affiliated.

Legoland, yes!

With kids that age consider La Brea Tarpits/Page Fossil Museum in LA over the Getty Center (though yes, you are allowed to plan something the Adults want to see instead). The Science Center, around the corner from the Natural History Museum, would also be a nice LA day. Then there is the fabulous Griffith Observatory and grounds, which makes a nice early-evening stop after visiting either the Zoo or the nearby Wild West Museum (or both).

Two nights Monterey sounds great, you might add a night and morning in Santa Barbara near the Wharf. You could do this by leaving LA at night on day three instead of 3rd overnight in LA. (Trouble is, traffic is bad leaving LA until 8pm so this makes for an 8 to 10pm drive to Santa Barbara with a 1 year old in tow. However, the morning drive is no picnic, LA traffic til 10am, and makes for a long day driving LA to Monterey up the coast).

3 nights in San Francisco is perfect, consider Columbus Motor Inn where parking is included. Muir Park/ Redwood Forest would probably be more enjoyable for the kids than wine country, but in April WC will be beautiful so try and see a bit of both!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Polson, thank you for the wonderful suggestions. Your suggested itinerary seems to work well. I like to spend at least 2 or 3 or even more nights at each place too, so I've pretty much decided to skip Yosemite and wine country this time. California is almost like a country, with so many interesting places, I am sure we will visit again.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

divineMissM, thank you for the suggestions and the tips on traffic and hotel. Can't wait till the vacaiton starts!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM

I would just add that while we enjoyed both the Zoo and the Animal Park, doing both with a then-two-year-old was overkill. She loved the zoo (and even the aquarium at La Jolla), but was done with it all by the time we hit the animal park...

IMO, if you have to choose one, the zoo is it - not only is it world-famous, but the animals are in closer proximity and thus more engaging for young children.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM

I have the same comment regarding the aquariums, although at least they're in different cities, but the Long Beach Aquarium, Monterey Bay Aquarium and Academy of Sciences in SF might be a bit much. Otherwise, I think the proposed itineraries look great.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Scanning the above posts I did not see the Hearst Mansion at San Simeon mentioned. It's worth the stop since you are not seeing any of the National Parks.
My grandkids love Legoland and Knotts Berry Farm more than anything Disney.
There are several interesting lighthouses between Monterey and Pacifica any of which would be worth a short walk.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ggreen and sf7307. I plan to take the kids to only one zoo(San Diego), and one Aquarium(Is Monterey Bay better?). Since we are from NJ, there is a six flag safari not so far from us, I think we will skip the wild animal park this time.

And tomfuller, thanks for the Hearst Mansion and Knotts Berry Farm suggestion. I love seeing historical buildings, etc. and kids always enjoy outings to the farms.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM

The nice thing about the Monterey Aquarium is the size - it's perfect for kids!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wine country is not just Napa/Sonoma. You will pass thru wine growing areas in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey Counties. You will have a chance to wine taste if you so desire
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally, Yosemite was my intended destination. My two older kids are such good hikers, can do 5 miles of steep trails with no problem. But, how can I bring an one year old to Yosemite? Guess we will just have to come back. Still, how I wish...
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 06:12 AM

As I said in my recent trip report to Monterey, the Aquarium is much better than it was a few years ago. I found it boring the first time I visited. This last time it was terrific. If the young one cooperates, it is worth at least 3 hours.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM

For LA, I second the Griffith Park Observatory, maybe more interesting than the Getty (unless that is for mom&dad). Alternatively you might do the Getty Malibu instead, since there is lots of running around room there. Reservations are needed. Also in Griffith Park, Travel Town is a fun kid thing, and I like the Autry Museum
http://theautry.org/
http://www.griffithparktrainrides.com/

In the Monterey Bay area, there is Point Lobos, if you can carry the 1-year old around the tide pools. I'd probably pick that aquarium over the others.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:47 AM

I'm not as big a fan of the Monterey Aquarium as others are, however, I would go just for the jellyfish exhibit -- it's amazing!
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM

If you go to Getty Malibu (or get up into Malibu at all for that matter), I have to recommend my favorite fish "shack": Malibu Seafood. An LA friend of my first took me there way too many years ago, and just writing this now makes me crave one of their tuna burgers!! The shop is a fish market on one side and a take-away window on the other, with picnic tables on a patio above (and on the inland side of the road from) the ocean: www.malibuseafood.com

[Seriously, they are the best tuna burgers I have ever had! That first visit, my friend made me bring one back to LA for her - it was good even cold. I'm tempted to ask you to bring one back to the East Coast! ]
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 04:10 PM

Yosemite is fine for kids of all ages. It's such a remarkable place and the drive to the valley is beautiful, if a little long. My kids have been there as infants without a problem. In April it might be a bit cold, but Yosemite Falls will be more impressive then than it would be in August.

You can walk on trails around the valley floor, which is a combination of the wilderness with a little bit a resort feel. Go have lunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel and admire the view. The Visitor Center has a replica of either a Miwok or Mono Paiute village which most kids will find pretty interesting.

I just wouldn't go camping there in April, which doesn't like it's on your agenda.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM

As for the aquariums, I would definitely go with the Monterrey one over the other two. If you're going to the San Diego Zoo I would skip the LA Zoo. After you visit the San Diego Zoo you will feel underwhelmed at the LA Zoo.

Locals don't like to admit it, but some of the cheesy Hollywood tourist trap stuff can be fun. Beverly Hills is interesting just to drive through and look at the beautiful architecture of the homes.

I hope you have a great trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM

With a backpack carrier, you can take the 1 year old on whatever trails the others can handle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -