Digital camera - winter travel be aware

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just had 2 digital cameras (Canon A70s) die on us -- they served us well and we went to camera store to about getting them repaired ($170 each) or purchase a new one. Welooked at the Canon Powershot A630 which we are used to the format, menus and it has a view finder and can take AA batteries. The salesman also suggested the Pentex Optio A10, this is a slimline model, no view finder large LCD screen, propietory battery -- bot 8.0 megapixels - same price ($300). I made DH pick which model -- he chose the pentex -- I said to him it will be handy to take on our ski trip next week. Well by the time we purchase service contract (2yrs) and extra battery, 2 1GB memory cards, hard shell compact case, the cost now is up to $550. We get home and I begin to read the manual before opening anything else up. The first few pages are full of WHAT NOT TO DO with this camera. One of the not's is to not operate under 32 degrees F (0 Centigrade), nor over 104 (or it could be 140 - I can't remember now). I yelled to hubby and said that the LCD screen will not work in low temperatures -- since we want to use this camera for sking up in the mountains -- we took it back to the camera store (Ritz). They refunded our money in full and they said that it will operate a few degrees below but a slower rate. Anyways, the problem is that without a view finder and an LCD screen which won't operate in cold temps -- don't plan on taking ski pictures.

So for those photo buffs out there, can you recommend an non-professional digital camera that will operate in cold temparatures. We had used the old Canon before (it had a view finder) but it seems that the new technology is to eliminate the view finder and rely on the LCD screen.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Get a digital SLR, like a Canon Digital Rebel. Yes it will cost a bit more, but an SLR does not use the LCD as a viewfinder (only as a post-shutter review of what you just shot). You can even turn off the LCD preview.

However, even the Rebel most likely is not spec'ed to operate below 32F. It will probably work below that; it could be just the LCD. But the Rebel relies on some sort of LCD to display the camera settings. I suppose if you keep it in full "auto" mode it may still work.

I would post in dpreview.com forums and ask what experience people have using their DSLRs in cold weather.

Of course, a much simpler solution is to get a few disposible 35mm cameras and take those on your ski trips and not worry about digital in those circumstances.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM

If you keep your camera inside your coat then it won't freeze. Hang it from your neck and tuck it under your coat when not in use. If it gets to freezing temps there then taking pictures would be a minor concern. Even if you just kept it in an outside pocket of your coat then I would guess that would keep it warm enough, at least when the temp was around 32. The extended service contract is a waste of money, imo. Consult consumer reports or another consumer advocate for their advice and I think they would agree. Also, the second battery is not necessary if you just remember to recharge overnight (and the second battery would only be useful if you carried it around with you all of the time). I suppose that you know that 2G of memory is a lot and that you know that you will actually use more than 1Gb before you have an opportunity to unload the photos.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM

btw, I recently got a Canon 700IS. It is a great camera and has an optical viewfinder.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I would definitely carry an extra battery especially in cold weather, because in my experience battery life is greatly diminished in the cold. 2GB is certainly not big anymore depending on what camera you are using. My Canon 5D's RAW files are about 12MB per picture(!). I can't even get 200 of them on a 2GB card. Yes, the average person won't be shooting 12MB files but your average 8MP camera has pretty big JPEG files now, and if you are on vacation, 2GB may be enough to hold all your pics (if you are lucky).

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM

"mrwunrfl" is right, you will/would be fine with the temperature range, unless you were to leave it overnight in your car or someplace else....skiing with it on your body (pocket/fanny pack/etc...) will keep the camera functioning fine...unless you're going on extreme trips...(i.e overnights, mt everest, etc....)
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Here's another vote for the Canon 700IS . . . not only is it small, but the display is big and it does have a viewfinder . . . and it takes GREAT photos.

Good luck . . . I love my 700IS!
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Regarding the size of the memory card needed, IMHO you can get many, many more pictures on one if you reduce the resolution of the pictures you are taking (down from 8 megapixels down to something like 4). I really don't think the human eye can tell the difference in a 4X6 or 8X10 picture, particularly if it is not a head shot. Of course. Ask Ritz Camera their opinion too!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM

We have a Pentax Optio ( a couple years old though) and have not had a problem with the cold weather. My husband is a mountain climber and this camera has been fantastic for those trips, even during very cold temps. We always keep an extra charged battery with us.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Just a side note, I had a Canon A70 that stopped working and took it to a Ritz Camera shop. The quote was $120 just to send it off to Canon for an estimate. I said no, since I'd had it a few years (and loved it). Months later, I happened to mention my problem to a professional photographer who told me to check out Canon's website as there had been an announcement about A70's having problems (I can not remember the official term for the problem but when I looked at the back of the camera, I was getting purple and pink streaks and couldn't take pictures anymore). I went to the Canon website and called the number and they sent me info. through the mail with instructions on how to mail the camera in at their expense. Once they determined that the problem was related to the one that many people were having, they repaired my camera for free and mailed it back to me for free. I have loved this camera. (As a side note, in the months between, I bought another Canon camera (the Powershot S315), and it's much harder to use and the pictures are really the same quality as the A70.
Good luck!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Orlando_Vic, it's not a matter of the human eye being able to tell the difference between 4 vs 8MP on a 4x6 - because the digital printer probably resamples (downsizes) them before printing 4x6 anyway. There's no need for high resolution at that size. An 8x10 would probably produce a better image from an 8MP (slightly noticable to the human eye), though.

The big benefit of more MP is the ability to crop. I recently made a 5x7 for my Mom from a picture she took on her cruise - but it was only 3MP, and I had to make the picture out of maybe 1/3 of it (so effectively it became a 1MP image). I can guarantee you that the 5x7 quality would have been noticably better had the original been an 8MP image.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Since you want to take the camera skiing, an SLR isn't going to be very useful - can't pop it in your ski jacket pocket and go. It's also more expensive.

I just checked, of the Canon SD series, only the SDXX models and the SD630 DON'T have optical viewfinders.

I read this question somewhere: Why did you buy an 8mp camera if you're only going to use it at 5mp?

Memory is cheap, don't skimp on the resolution - you might get that once in a lifetime photo and you can't print it at 16x20 because you dropped the resolution to 3mp.

Before buying a memory card in the store, check online for a better price (I recommend bhphotovideo dot com) - usually much less expensive for the same card.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM

My only point on the mass storage is that if you don't know that you need 2Gb then you can put off getting it because, over time, mass storage tends to drop in price and improve in quality. It's just a suggestion.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM

But I've seen 2GB cards for under $30 now. Why skimp on a smaller card for that amount of money?
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

PScott: Thank you for the Canon A70 recall note -- I am going to send the cameras back and I hope that Canon will fix them (for free).

For other folks with Canon products, these are the cameras which are covered under the recall:

Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

I don't know why I wasn't contacted by Canon as my product was registered (okay -- maybe I do know why).... but my other beef is with the Ritz camera folks -- they surely knew about the recall and rather than advise me of it -- kept mum and made another sale (and return)instead. I guess my lesson in regards to this is to from now on, check the company's website, product support, model first and see what the company says (if anything). Don't rely on retail sales staff or if you do, ask them if there was an manufacturer recall.

Thanks to all the Foderites .... we learn so much from each other!

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM

How much memory is a personal choice.

I know some folks who have a 256mb card in their 6mp camera and haven't emptied the card in 6 months. Obviously, they don't need a second card.

For me, I know I can easily fill up a 2gb card in a day. That means I know I should have at least 2 cards available so I don't run out of space before I can empty the card. With me, I don't erase my photos - I took it because it was of interest to me, so why would I delete it? (Not considering the "oops" photos.)

I usually take vacation for 2-4 weeks at a time and don't want to carry a laptop all over with me. So, I bought myself a PSD (portable storage device). I have a 120gb harddrive in the device and can download my card whenever it fills up. Having a second card allows me to empty one card while still taking photos with the second card. This way, I can be fairly certain that I'll never run out of memory during a trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM

ok, Andrew, you are right and I am wrong
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Good! I was wrong on a rental car thread today - so now I'm all even.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 08:37 AM
TheWeasel

I don't understand the point of spending $500+ on a camera, and then trying to save money by not buying an extra battery and memory. Rechargeable Li-ion batteries for my camera are only $30, and I got a 4GB card for $70. Think about it - if the one battery dies, or the one memory card fills up and there is no replacement, the $500 is useless for lack of $30 or so. Never go out in winter without extra batteries - I keep mine as close to my skin as possible to keep them warm, but they still don't last as long as in warm weather.

Same idea as Andrew mentioned for file size - why spend money on a camera that can take large files and then deliberately waste that technology for lack of an extra $30 memory card? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think if you're doing something active you'll need a small camera that you can put inside your jacket (inside a fanny pack isn't going to keep it warm). Our little Nikon Coolpix 3100 has a viewfinder and LCD screen. I think some (but not all) of their newer Coolpix Series cameras have the same features with better zoom.

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Actually, OPs new camera was a $300 one. It was $550 after adding on all that other stuff. I've got a 1G card, one battery, and a soft case. That's just right for me. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -