Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen Loston Harris at the Carlysle Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We watched the movie "Little Manhattan" where they go to the Carlysle and this great piano player Loston Harris performs. We will be in NY mid March and I noticed that you can see him play because he happens to perform on those dates. Has anyone seen him and can recommend this? We're thinking about making reservations for dinner and make it a whole night thing.
How about Broadway? I happened to see that there's a new play about the Rat Pack on Broadway. Has anyone seen or head anything good about this play?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:38 PM

I don't know Loston Harris but the Bemelman bar is classic NYC. (The hotel is spelled Carlyle). It can get pricey. If you don't have to dine there to see them play, I wouldn't. They're not known for great food. Don't know about the show. Do you mean the dance show with Sinatra music?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the mispelling Thanks for the heads up about the food at the restaurant. Maybe we'll just go for a drink and some entertainment instead. Yes, the musical with Sinatra musik. Have you heard any good reviews on it yet?
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM

I read a post on another forum from one person who saw "Fly Away" in preview and said it was really boring. If you're a Sinatra fan, the Carnegie Club does a Sinatra tribute show on Sat. nights that's supposed to be very good. Here's an article from the NY Times that mentions both Bemelmans and the Carnegie Club. http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/11...11WEEKEND.html

I don't want you to construe that the food at the Bemelman bar isn't good. It's just not a place known for food and I imagine it's pricey. Most people would go for drinks and maybe nibbles. I have eaten at the Cafe Carlyle which is across the hall and is more a cabaret room. The food there IS very pricey and sometimes required to see the show. If you want a really "swellegant" evening, you could have dinner at Cafe Boulud and then go for drinks at Bemelmans after. They're very close to each other. Both are also near the Met Museum which is open late Fri & Sat. nights.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your recommendations and for the article! That's a good idea to not dine there but just go for a drink I will absolutely consider that. And we've actually been to the Carnegie Club and that was great!!! We really could go back for that but I was just trying to find something new to do.