Olympia, WA to Santa Fe road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a road trip for some time in December from Olympia, Washington to Santa Fe, NM. On route we need to stop at Fort Collins to visit family with end destination being Santa Fe.

I'm flexible about the length of time to get there, but I want to take a route that isn't too boring but also isn't too tricky with winter weather -- I realize not much I can do about that because it's December, but we don't have a choice with the time we travel (we will be in an SUV).

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Really not a lot of choice except to use I-84 from Portland through the Columbia Gorge and down to I-80 in Utah. If your time is flexible and it turns icy in the Gorge or across Wyoming, just hunker down for a day until they can clear the highways.
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, I-84/I-80 or I-90/I-82 are about your only choices (or US 12 in WA or US 26 in OR if you're more venturesome)

If the I-84 Columbia Gorge happens to have one of its infrequent ice storms, when its horribly treacherous if not closed, check the conditions on I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass (or possibly US 12 over White Pass) thence I-82 to I-84 near Pendleton ... *sometimes* I-90 is the easier of the two in winter.

Your statement "we will be in an SUV" deserves a cautionary note.

1. Safety in snow or ice is more about how you drive and what your tires are like than what sort of vehicle you drive.

2. An SUV is no safer than any other car, perhaps even less safe because of (a) its higher center of gravity (which exacerbates the forces you and your tires have to deal with in a skid) and (b) driver over-confidence. When I lived in Whistler long ago my friends who drove tow trucks said they pulled more 4WD SUV's out of the ditch than any other vehicle.

3. 4WD gives you more traction when starting or going uphill in snow (front wheel drive also helps, but less so). But it does absolutely nothing for you when braking or skidding ... any 2WD car with equivalent tires would handle braking or skidding as well.

Having driven that route in mid-winter many times, here's where I would be keep an eye on re the weather and road conditions:
I-84 in the Blue Mountains between Pendleton and Baker City
I-84 in the canyon east of Ogden (or the alternate of I-80 east of Salt Lake City
I-84 in the Columbia Gorge (ice storms happen there several times every winter, but relatively infrequently

Usually that route is no problem, but keep an eye on weather forecasts and road reports and hunker down for a day or 2 if need be.

Bye the way: most people realize that you need good antifreeze in cold weather (it's possible to run into -30F, though I wouldn't expect it). But many people forget about their windshield washing fluid. There's nothing worse than having a windshield that you can barely see through because of the road grit being splashed on it and when you use your windshield fluid it freezes and you can't see at all through the mix of opaque ice. Make sure you have winter windshield fluid rated to at least -30F.