Maui/Road to Hana with kids worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is taking our first trip to Hawaii this Christmas and staying with our brother, who lives in Lanai. We'll be in Maui for only two nights and we're wondering about getting around. We're arriving in Maui via ferry, picking up a convertible and going to a luau the first evening. We're staying in Kahului so we're a bit concerned about driving over to Kahului (Hwy 30?) especially at night after the luau. We were planning on taking the road to Hana the next day, but since our kids are 4 and 7 and we've read some posts on this forum that suggest the drive is really too long for kids, we could use some advice about whether it's worth it. Should we stay in West Maui and maybe visit the Iao Needle instead? On our final day, we were considering a stop at the Maui Ocean Center. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM

It's a full day there and back. the roads in good shape but very slow going due to curves and narrow spots.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM

I wouldn't waste the short time in Maui on a full day to Hana... instead consider a catamaran/snorkle trip from any one of the tours from the hotels on the stretch between Lahaina and Kapalua... we saw turtles, dolphins,and plenty of cool stuff on the trip and the kids could float around in life jackets during the snorkle portion... then you get a lunch on the ride back... a much better day than sitting in a hot car all day!!!!
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM

I really wouldn't do it! You'd survive, but why would you want to? I'd go to visit the Iao Needle or just relax on the beach/by the pool with the kids. The Maui Ocean Center is a neat place; I'm sure your kids would like that very much.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM

Sorry to jump in but what is the Iao Needle ? I am also questioning the drive to Hana with our kids 11 and 15 - I have heard about biking back down .Are there age restrictions?
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
kealalani

Not enough time on island to make the kids be in a car all day. Fill your time at the beach! If you get the hawaii bug you will return again and have time to enjoy Hana's gifts.

Ah Lanai!!!!!!

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM

I agree; with such a short amount of time on the island, I wouldn't want to spend it in the car with the kids. We loved the Road to Hana, but we spent over a week on Maui. If I were you, I'd just go sailing or spend the day at the beach.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM

If it was just you and your spouse, I'd definitely do it, as it's magnificent. But with the kids, I'd definitely NOT.

It's a long day, and you'll ruin it for yourselves, your kids, and everyone in the likely-to-be-full bus.

I'd go on one of the snorkeling boat rides for a couple of hours and enjoy the rest of Kahului!
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM

Road to Hana with kids 4 and 7 not advised with the limited time you have. I can't see younsters that age sitting in a car all day to complete the trip. Other posters are correct in suggesting better ways to spend your time enjoying Hawaii.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM

"I am also questioning the drive to Hana with our kids 11 and 15 - I have heard about biking back down .Are there age restrictions?"
You are thinking about Haleakala, not Hana. And no, don't bike down the volcano; read up on actual statistics. It has resulted in many serious injuries, and even deaths, over the years. Visit the park, see the sunset (much more enjoyable and dramatic than sunrise, IMHO), and don't try the biking down (there have been many recent talks about banning it, anyway).
Iao Needle is a state park that can take as little as an hour to visit and walk through, or more it you chose to splash in the stream and picnic. A nice verdent side trip!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM

The Road to Hana has 56 one lane bridges mostly built 85 years ago. This means only one direction of traffic can negotiate the bridges at a time, and if there is alot of traffic it will take many hours to complete. If you go to Hana, make sure you go all the way to the waterfalls (past Hana are the Seven sisters falls or some name like that). If you do it in a rental car, there are stipulations in the rental contract which preclude you from taking the shortcut back due to unimproved roadways, so you must come back the same way you went to Hana. I don't advise it with the kids as they will get bored.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM

I wouldn't want to spend half my time on Maui in car and I am way over 4 and 7 - especially if they are prone to getting car sick. {Even if they haven't gotten sick in a car under normal conditions, this could do it - lots of curves etc}.

We decided not to drive the road to Hana. I know we missed many wonderful sites, but I just didn’t want to be in the car all that time and then have to drive back the same night. IF we return, we will spend a night or 2 in Hana.

We drove Central/west Maui stopping at ‘Iao Needle. The hike up the steps left many people winded and struggling, but for us, coming from 6200+ feet, caused us no problem. We also walked down among the gardens. It was a lovely, spiritual place and was true rain forest like foliage.

We had gotten lunch at Safeway, so we continued back towards the main road and stopped at , Kepaniwai Park and Heritage Gardens. This was an unusual place in that it had different buildings and memorials dedicated to all the different people who settled in Hawaii.

There are lots of wonderful ways to spend time on Maui with kids, this wouldn't be tops on my list. IMHO of course.
Deb
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No to Hana but yes to Iao Needle. That way your kids can see the wet side of the island.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:55 AM

I agree with the others. We loved the Road to Hana - but it was just my husband and I and we spent two nights in Hana. Next time, we would spend an extra night or two. The Maui Ocean Center would be a good place to take the kids.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM

I would not do it with a 4 and 7 year old if you PAID me to.

We went and stayed up in Hana for the night... and it was just the two of us (dh and I) -

Do something else
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM

With only two nights, I wouldn't do it. My kids got whiney on the road to Hana and they were 10 and 15, LOL.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Although I've been to Maui many times with my kids..and now my grandkids...I've never taken any of them on the road to Hana. I think it was my 3rd or 4th visit before I went. I was underwhelmed, but I am from Oregon, which has a lovely coastline of its own. There is nothing kids like better than being in the water. It is not a long drive from Kahului to the great Kamaole beaches. I would try Kam I or Kam III. Both have lifeguards and soft sand. Kam III has a small playground. On the way you can stop for 15-20 minutes at the Sugar Museum. It's educational, and kids seem to enjoy it. There are rubber stamps at some of the exhibits that kids use to mark a little map, to show that they have "found" special exhibits. Also some big trucks and equipment on the grounds. I was there for about the 4th time this May with a 6 year old. He even wanted to sit and watch the short video showing how sugar cane is processed into sugar. You can't miss the place on the way to the Kamaole beaches- just look for the big smokestacks and it is right across the street.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM

For me, the worst part was being carsick for a good portion of the drive--and I'm an adult. I can only imagine what that drive would be like for a child.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for being so helpful! Barbara 5353, we are going to do just as you suggested! The beaches at Kamaole and the museum sound perfect. We have rented a convertible, and I think my kids will love it, but not for an entire day! They'll have enough time in the car on the way back to Lahaina for the ferry. All together, we'll be in Hawaii for 19 days, but will spend most of the time on Lanai and Oahu.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I'll just add that the ONLY time our daughter has ever been car sick was the trip to Hana (she was 4 at the time)

Debi: <way over 4 and 7>
Not by much!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -