Search

Grand Rapids, MI Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Rapids, MI Questions

If the current weather holds and the driving is easy- I might do a secondary trip from South Central MI to Grand Rapids during the last week in Dec.

travel addict or anyone! Do you think the Frederik Meijer Sculpture Gardens and grounds are worth the trip in Winter? And are there any specific entertainment venues or even movie theatres that are close to the Sculpture Garden location? Any special restaurants or not to miss sights near here?

I will search the past threads but never asked about this location in winter. Is the Sculpture Garden busy/crowded? They have current feature until Jan. 1.

Thanks!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I'm not from GR, but I have been there a number of times. The Gardens is great anytime of the year, because you have the conservatory to go through even if the weather is too nasty to do the grounds. I don't personally think it's worth a trip out of your way in the winter though, unless you won't have a chance again to go in the spring summer or fall.

Celebration Cinema http://www.celebrationcinema.com/?pid=30002 is probably the closest movie theater.

I just looked at the website for the garden, and it looks like they might have a few fun things going on: http://www.meijergardens.org/calendar/
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM

BTW- I should have asked, where will you be in S Central MI?
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

I'm going to be in Marcellus MI on Big Fish (Cass County) for 4 days or so and thought it may be worth a drive to see the happenings re Christmas/NY's season as they are advertised. It would be over an hour's drive. If the weather is nice enough, it might be a nice day with a movie.

Thanks, rapunzll, I appreciate it.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM

It might be a slightly longer drive, but I think that Greenfield Village would be a nicer experience in the winter, unless it was really, really cold! http://www.hfmgv.org/
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, good idea, but we see that when we go beat up on the Detroit Tigers in Detroit. LOL! G.Rapids is only about 1-1/4 hours drive, and I would come back the same night quite easily.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Hi JJ5 - I would love to meet up with you if you come here! (you have my e-mail...)

Meijer Gardens is so inviting this time of year - with all the cold weather, the tropical area is very welcoming. The Christmas Around the World exhibit is going on until Jan. 7th and that's definitely worth seeing. They have about 30-40 trees decorated to look like different countries' trees.

The Gardens has two unique gift shops and the restaurant is actually really good too - not your standard fare. I'm going tomorrow night so I can give you more info after I go also.

There are a lot of chain restaurants nearby that area, but if you want to venture downtown (10-15 min. away), there's San Chez, a Spanish tapas bistro, and Mezze, its sister restaurant right next door that serves middle eastern food. (if you love garlic, San Chez is the place!) Charlie's Crab & Leo's are both great for seafood. And in the Amway Grand Plaza hotel, Cygnus & Bentham's both overlook the river and serve excellent food.

Visiting the Amway Grand Plaza is an adventure in itself - a beautiful hotel, and you can walk around the entire place without having a room there. There's 5-6 restaurants inside, with stores & galleries too.

Our downtown area is definitely worth visiting. We have a couple museums, lots of art galleries, restaurants, unique stores, sculptures, etc.

E-mail me if you want more info...
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM

I would vote for San Chez, as travel_addict advises. I had lunch there last March and it was excellent food, service and atmoshpere!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:34 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, guys, OSB, travel addict, I have printed your posts out.

Yesterday this looked like it was going to happen for sure, not so much today. Sickness in the house, NOT me. Grandkids too. Happened right AFTER Christmas last year.

It would be next a week from tomorrow, Dec. 27, if it happens. I would LOVE to meet up with your, travel addict.
I'll post on Christmas night, if I can make it.

Regardless, I love your details as I am going to go next summer for a longer stop and will definitely use it.

But I thought that the winter trees might be nice to see. We would be coming from the lake, if we are well and going back that same night- right back to Marcellus.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:07 AM

Hi JJ5,

I don't know if you're coming here or not yet, but I wanted to let you know I went to the Meijer Gardens the other night and it was absolutely beautiful!

The Gardens sits on many acres and almost every tree in the area was decorated with lights - it was truly magical.

Inside, there were about 30+ trees and each one was carefully decorated to represent different countries' trees. It's interesting to read about each country's customs and traditions. My favorites were the African tree, the Japanese tree, and the Swedish tree.

The food at the cafe there was excellent too! I'd highly recommend eating there if you don't have time to go to San Chez downtown.

Well, hope this helps. E-mail me if you happen to come this way. Hope you're feeling better and you have a wonderful holiday too!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

I'm feeling fine, but Ken isn't. So I am almost sure we won't be making the extra drives.

But I will email if by chance we can.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2007. I know I'll be in Grand Rapids in summer and will use this tips then absolutely.

I too love the trees from around the world. Our Mus. of Sci. & Ind. in Chicago has trees from many nations and creches from the countries that do not feature cultural trees, and it is magnificent.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM

Sorry to hear Ken's not feeling well! Hope's he better in the next few days...

Take care!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:49 AM

I have gone in winter when snow is on the grounds and the sculptures looked magnificant against the white of the snow. Each season has its rewards.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Yes, that's just what I thought, bayridge, as I love many things just for other reasons, to do in the "off" seasons.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:00 PM

bookmarking