Need Gift Idea for NYC Anglophiles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I thought of the perfect Christmas gift for my in-laws: Two tickets to a great show. These North Jerseyites are crazy about everything British, especially if it's set in the past. Rather conservative, though. Have researched a little and found Spamalot (but they're not Monty Python fans), a show called The Rivals (supposed to be difficult to follow the plot - but these are smart folks). Also looking at Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but this is set in the French Riviera, so perhaps not British enough...they enjoy movies with Emma Thompson, Judy Dench, classic British mysteries, comedy too. Any ideas? Does not have to be a Broadway show, can be off or off-off if it's the right one. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:12 AM

There is nothing hitting me on Broadway for Anglophiles. I noticed a listing for a production of After the Ball done by the Irish Rep. This is a Noel Coward musical based on an Oscar Wilde play and takes place in Victorian London. I have no idea if it's any good. It opened a day or 2 ago. Couldn't find any reviews on the web. Here's the listing
http://www.irishrepertorytheatre.com/
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM

There is Dame Edna ofcourse. He/she's an Aussie but...
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:30 AM
portfolioneutral

possibly a different approach, a gift that keeps on giving? http://anglophile.meetup.com ... offering several groups in the nyc area that socialize around all things british. Active, social, intellectual. As a gift, simply direct them to the December 16 event, and provide whatever cash may be required for libations, etc. Could be a hoot and you'll get some interesting feedback, and possibly even a pat on the noggin' for originality.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

oooh, mclaurie, that sounds good - After The Ball sounds right up their alley. I could not find a review, either...anyone been?

I'm LOL'ing about Dame Edna. A little too risque for them!

portfolio, nah. I can send them the link, but I would not presume they'd want to go to a club meeting...by the way, the new names are getting goofy. You should just stick with blacktie, it suits you.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM
portfolioneutral

I didn't get the impression it's a club meeting, but more of a rather tight-knit group that loves all things anglo ... my guess is they do lots of related things. It's world-wide, but with only three in the nyc area. Possibly they may enjoy it. Oh, names are interchangeable, and really, it's only confusing if one tries to keep them all in mind, lol. Anyway, I'll try to be simpler in the years ahead, probably an easy task for me. Anyway, have a good holiday and a prosperous 2005.

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Just happened to notice there's a $5 discount available on Playbill.com for After the Ball. Also noticed an off Broadway production of Pygmalion,
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Definitely get them tickets for The Rivals at Lincoln Center. It's a wonderful and delightful production of this classic British comedy, which takes place in Bath. A perfect gift for Anglophiles.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Yes, I think being simple might be an easy task for you, blacktie/whatever. But, Happy Holidays to you and lets hope you enjoy your retirement~
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Joan, while not British per se, perhaps "Little Women" would be enjoyable for them? I have similar taste in entertainment and am holding tickets for that show in February. It stars Broadway favorite and Tony winner Sutton Foster. I think it's a lovely gift idea (wouldn't mind someone doing that for me someday!)
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

OK Maggi I get the hint!Perhaps you want me to tell a certain person?

All in all, although Little Women is "their type" of entertainment, I'm thinking Howard's suggestion of The Rascals (you are convincing Howard)combines a great venue and can't miss track record of a great British playwright (I just hope they fancy him!)

I also inquired on chowhound.com for English restaurants to complete the outing. I've been advised to try the following:

Tea & Sympathy (2 recs for this one)
UK New York
Spotted Pig

Tea & Sympathy gets lots of good reviews for the food, but also described on citysearch as "cramped" and "smelly and dirty". Any comments? Looks like it's located a couple miles from Lincoln Center, but I suppose it's doable by taxi...
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Oh, we went to Tea and Sympathy a couple of years ago and loved it!
I had scones and clotted cream and tea.. you know, British diet food .
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Joan, just make sure you get the title right. It's The Rivals, not The Rascals!
If your inlaws are true Anglophiles, the play should be familiar to them. Its most famous character is Mrs. Malaprop.
And the current production at Lincoln Center couldn't be better!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:09 PM

The Rivals. Hard to follow the plot? Are you kidding me? This classic comedy is easy as pie to follow. The famous Mrs. Malaprop spouts her misused phrases (the foundation of the word "malapropism"). You can't get more classic British that that!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes I got it. The Rivals. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

I suppose mistaking the Rascals for the Rivals was...a MALAPROPISM! I know, bad bad, but I couldn't resist.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:57 AM

Oh, Joan, that was the very epitath of humor.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist either).
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:17 AM

My compliments, Patrick, for a true malapropism! To steal a little from Mrs. M: you have reached the pineapple of success.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Howard, that is my favorite one!
By the way, in college I played the wonderful Sir Lucius O'Trigger, the hot-blooded Irishman. I also played the servant Fag (no comments please) in a professional summer stock production. I love The Rivals.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Ooops. And Howard, I just realized you misquoted the real malapropism. It was "pineapple of politeness" in the play. But I'll forgive you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -