ncgrrl's Colorado trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I'm back from my cellphone-free vacation.

I'm not into a "well, on Monday I hiked. And on Tuesday I hiked a different trail" type of report. This will be more of observations from the trip.

- If going to Colorado (or anyplace high in elevation) prepare for snow. It was sunny and gorgous most of the time, but it snowed at the top of Rocky Mtn National Park and the wind was fierce there too.

- Our National Park Service is amazing. Even the 'minor' sites have knowledgeble and caring employees who want you to experience fully the location. In addition to the site itself, most had a slide show/video and exhibits to fully round out the experience. It's a shame they have to put out donation boxes while big-wigs in DC head off on junkets.

- Congratulations to Andrea. She became a junior ranger Saturday at Rocky Mountain National Park. She seemed a little embarrassed when receiving her badge but she should be proud of her accomplishment.

- As much as I wanted to get away from it all on this vacation, I don't think I could handle getting away from everything. I was glad I had a room with electricity and running water. And if I had injured myself, emergency care could find me. Primitive camping is not for me.

- Airports ruin vacations. Sorry if you love them, but after being away from it all (well, most of it all) for the past week, the hustle of the airport dampen the memories.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Glad you had a good trip. I'm also a big fan of US national parks. Where did you stay to visit RMNP?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Didn't stay near RMNP. Just took a big detour to go through it on the way to the airport.

Stayed in budget chain hotel places. At one place (where I had joined the free membership club) I gave my name to the front desk clerk, she handed me a folder with the cardkey and gave me directions to the room. I thought it kind of weird I didn't have to show ID (after the airport where I should have stapled my drivers' license to my forehead) I was a little concerned about it, but the billing rate was correct.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Nice report, ncgrrl! Sounds like a great time. We're also huge nat'l park fans and sounds like a perfect trip; i totally agree about hotels vs. camping!

The junior ranger programs are awesome, especially with rangers who are enthused and involved. Did you buy a Nat'l Parks Passport for yourself or your dd? Its another creative, unique way for kids (and us) to document the parks visited.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind words, Ellen.

I haven't bought the NP passport yet. I was thinking about that a few years ago when I was on Dry Tortugas. Would have been cool, but no passports available for sale then (I think they were out of stock).

I'm not sure when the National Park Passport program started, but it would be awesome to see stamps of the Wright Brother Memorial or Washington, DC attractions when I went there as a child.