Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Just back Lake Cumberland houseboat trip, questions????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 01:04 PM
Marie

We just returned from a Houseboat trip on Lake Cumberland Ky, see www.statedock.com for more information, it was wonderful, I had no idea there was such a beautiful and huge lake in Ky, and the houseboats were incredible. We had 11 people and the largest boat, we could have fit 5 more on that boat with no problem, 15 person hot tub and very large kitchen with microwave.

The living room was huge, and had a wet bar and nice cd/stereo which also had speakers up on the deck. Tv/Vcr. 6 bedrooms and 2 sofabeds. Central air/heat. The water was the perfect temperature, you find a cove and it is your private piece of heaven.

What Views.

If you want to try something different, this is a good choice. We had a larger group we canoed with every year and we wanted to try something different. It is within a days drive of most of the midwest.

Questions e-mail me.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:29 PM
arjay

Great to hear a positive report on this kind of getaway. I've wanted to do a houseboat for years...now, I'm thinking it might be on the docket when the new grandbaby gets a few years on him..To the top!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Cindy

Hi,
My husband and I are planning a trip to Kentucky and want to stay on a houseboat. Did they have houseboats that accomodate only 2? And what was the price for 1 week?Please let me know what ever info you think would be good to have.Thanks.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Maggi

We did a houseboat trip on the Trent-Severn Waterway northeast of Toronto. It was one of our best vacations ever. Challenging the first few days because you are going through locks to get to the different waterways. We still talk about it years later. Have often wanted to try houseboats on Lake Shasta in California and in Kentucky. But, with the Canadian exchange rate, it is a lot cheaper I think. Our rate for 5 days was $690 (Canadian). There were four of us, which is a little easier than just two, with navigating, steering and tying up. Our boat had a little deck and a gas grill, and we could steer either from the roof or from inside. Sunbathing on the roof was great. Waking up to the sound of gently lapping waves and the haunting sound of loons unforgettable. One evening we docked at an art gallery/restaurant, got all dolled up and had a great meal, then boarded, changed into our shorts and rode off into the sunset. I would highly recommend this type of vacation for a change of pace.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Rachel

I agree with the above posters, houseboating on Lake Cumberland is a blast. I went about 5 times from various docks (including State Dock) with different groups of single friends back in the 80's (before they had the luxury houseboats that Marie described - we didn't have half that stuff but still had a great time). We went in the summer for about 3-4 days at a time and it was extremely fun. We also had a guy that brought his speedboat which added to the experience - some could go water skiing if they wanted to and also if we needed to go to a marina for supplies we didn't have to move the big boat. Every day we moved to a new cove. We cooked out on the grill, sunbathed, swam, waterskied, drank a little too much (at night when we were safely parked in a cove), sang and danced our fool heads off and relaxed. I still fondly remember those times now that I'm married and have small children.

I do think you need at least 3-4 people though to help with the steering, navigating, etc. like Maggi said. Might be tough with just two. Our groups ranged from 5-9 people.

I highly recommend this type of vacation to anyone that enjoys the above mentioned activities. I hope to do it again someday when my kids are a bit older, maybe with other family members or friends.

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also navigated the Trent Severn years ago and thought it was a great lower key trip. I think the trick there is to check out the quality of the houseboat you rent. Our's was a dump and kept breaking. But I'd do that trip again.