back to paradise ~ Mr. and Mrs. Momddtravel return to Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not sure if I was going to do a trip report but there were a few notables so I thought I would share -

Who: My husband, myself, and our two daughters, ages 14 and 17.

When: June

Where: Oahu, Ko Olina Marriott Vacation club - 2 bedroom villa

Why: Why not is always the better question with Hawaii in the mix!

We love Hawaii - I could go every year - but alas that is not how it always works out so this was our 5th trip - 3rd time to Oahu. Hawaii is one of the places that I plot on how to stay longer when I am there. I even got sick on one trip and we had extend ;-)

We were running a little on empty. After our trip was booked and paid for - my husband's sister decided to get married on memorial day weekend in New York - and we were to leave for Hawaii on June 2... oh boy. She asked our girls to be in the wedding and husband was sold - me - not so much - but hey... I went along for the ride.

So we got home from the wedding on Monday night and were set to leave for Hawaii on Thursday -

I managed to upgrade to business class with miles so the trip over was very pleasant - Dallas direct to Oahu - no issues - all was well in the front of the bus ....

First little bump in the road....

We go to get the rental and my charming husband and 14 year old come out with keys to a convertible mustang. Now, Mom, being Mom thinks "There is no way this is going to work, smashed kids sitting the back all week, where will the luggage even fit to get to the hotel... it is no fun to be in the back of a convertible getting wipped around..." they are all smiles and I am not but on we go to the Ko Olina Marriott Vacation Villas.

This is our second time at this property - we were here in November of 09 with just the two of us and we were anxious to bring our girls back - I call Hawaii my "happy place" and seriously plot and think about how I could stay for at least 3 months at a time when our youngest is away in college... (checking out where the hospitals are thinking about travel RN jobs...)

We checked in no issues -- except husband was not overly thrilled with the location of the room. It was on the first floor and the view was very obstructed. I was not overly bothered by it. The villa was lovely and spacious - hubby had to head back out to the airport to pick up our 17 year old - she was coming from CA.

So the first day was really just a ton of travel - and getting settled while taking in the magical breezes and sunset... all was good.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM

grabbing an iced tea and waiting for the rest.
Love reading about your good times, I can hear the smile on your face
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb!

I was in bed early and up early - time change - and could see the moon shining over the ocean - man it is beautiful in Hawaii. Having moved from California to Texas it seems the beauty has increased in my eyes.

The sun was not out when it did come up and the girls were soon awake too - my husband was not up - I think he was exhausted - the trip to New York for the wedding and he turned around and flew to Atlanta the following day for business and back to DFW on Wed. night to turn around and fly to Oahu on Thursday - so he was sleeping in.

I grabbed the girls and off we went to explore - It was pretty rainy - more than I have seen in my time in Oahu but a little rain did not stop us from headed over to the North Shore.

We stopped at Tropical Farms Macademia Nut Farm
http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/attrac...picalfarms.php

I wanted to take them to the chief's house.

Don't laugh

http://aliitour.com/tour/alii-tour.html

It was rainy and they would have sat in the room all day if I let them - and it was 20.00 bucks. The chief is who does the luau at the Ko Olina' Marriott and we had enjoyed the show on our previous trip.

Well, the tour was canceled due to the rain - so we had some good nuts, bought a few goodies and headed on!

We were getting pretty hungry and I had shrimp trucks on the mind... was not sure what my youngest would think of eating off a truck...but decided to brave it.

Want to have the "Shrimp Shack" which I had read/heard about

http://www.shrimpshackoahu.com/Welcome%21.html ~

Oh baby it did not disappoint! Wow. I highly recommend if you are on the road or in the area you stop there.

We enjoyed our scrumptious meals and continued north!

I wanted to take the girls to Turtle beach

http://www.portaloha.com/SecretsOfHawaii/Laniakea.htm

And again - did not disappoint. We got some WONDERFUL photos of the turtles and listening and watching my daughter's delight was priceless. I have a small smile on my face just thinking about it. I swear I want a turtle tattoo.

We kept on truckin' north at this time... and had one thing in mind...

Shaved ice!!!!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Yay! Just in time for <blue>s<red>h<yellow>a<green>v<purple>e <orange>ice!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:50 AM

MomDD: Thanks for this great trip report! Can't believe all the times I've been to Oahu, I've never been to Turtle Bay or the Shrimp Shack. A must do!
I'm looking forward to reading more
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Ahhh yes, Shaved ice. All is indeed well in the world when you are in Haleiwa enjoying a shaved ice.

The lines come out into the street for Matsumoto Shaved Ice - it has been around forever and it is indeed excellent... buuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.........

I like Aoki's Shave Ice better It is on the same street and generally 1/2 the line and it comes with the plastic cup instead of paying for it and it just tastes better to *me.

The girls loved it as well - with our blue and red mouths we start to venture back to the other side of the island... all was well on our first full day in Paradise...
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Nanabee??? What??? Well... your sihsta has some splainin' to do. ;-)

Now, you saw the shrimp Shack is just a truck on the side of the road, next to a little mom/pop grocery store? You can buy a small wine and drink it in a cup though (not that I would know a thing about that???... - It was so good that I had to bring my husband back later in the week.

Turtle beach was delightful...that is the only word that comes to mind... I ventured out in the water and they were swimming all around my feet - there is truly something mystical and magical about Hawaii.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:20 AM

I have to admit, I've gotten away from reading trip reports for a while. But yours caught my attention. It is bringing back such good memories! Love the links - so much better than my scanty pics of the same areas.

Too bad about the canceled tour, but the Mac Nut stop is worth it in itself! Love the coconut oils/shampoos, and the free samples!
Am interested in finding out how the convertible worked out. We were only 2 people, and loved our Sebring convertible!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

ahhh yes, the ole convertible and the two teens and my lovely husband... I will write more about that - humor on family vacations is so important!

I got some oils and use it when I want to remember the magic of the Islands

Off to work and out of pocket today...so will be sure to write more later..it is fun to have memories too
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM

Fun read. Mo please.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM

Where'd you end up eating?

Love Aoki's - Matsumoto's might be better -- I don't know because I've never been able to justify the line!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM

Loving your trip report. I want to go to Hawaii! *sigh*
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Awwhhhh thanks for reading everyone

Kureiff - I wanna go back...tomorrow would work!

SF when we stayed on the north shore years ago - the line at Matsumotos was not bad - so I have had it - and like Aoki's better.

Okay...where were we? Oh yes - in paradise.

Well as I swelter away in triple digits in Dallas Texas... let's take a trip back to Oahu...

I honestly do not remember every day after the first two - sort of the beauty of Hawaii I think.

I will share some highlights:

Husband came to his senses on the 3rd day and took the car over to the local Hertz and changed it out for a 4 door sedan. The girls were VERY happy as was I.

The first night when we arrived we ate at a local place we had gone to before
http://hapagrill.net/

Hapa girll - in expensive local fare - did the trick.

We had budget for one special meal out for the four of us and decided to go back to Roys for that meal. It was right in Ko Olina and we ate on the patio and loved every minute of it. Lots of laughter and amazing food and service. It was really a perfect meal for us.

We struggled a little with the resort and I am not sure how to share it without sounding like a complainer so I guess I will just complain.

We went back on what is called an "encore" package - we sat through a time share deal on our first trip in 09 and they offered us a great deal to return for 5 nights - we purchased it (not the time share) we own at a Marriott Property in Palm Desert California - which we purchased in 1996 - we purchased Every other year - so they have been after us to purchase the other week for every... being my husband has owned an additional week through one in Lake Tahoe we never felt led to buy yet another week...

The resort is really nice. The lobby is lovely and the cove which it sits on is man made but lovely and makes for calm swimming. There are 3 very nice pools - a market with not too bad prices and a Chuck's steak house and a beachy cafe place as well on the beach. It had changed names and I do not recall the new name. The food there was pretty disappointing as was the service. It seemed to have gone down since our last visit where I do not recall any issues.

They now make you wear a band if you are going to sit by the pool because the beach is public and you have to do this towel check thing which was pretty annoying. I sort of wondering like what they would do if I did not follow the rules, do the towel check right et?? Weird. That whole process just bugged me - and it was more crowded in June than it was in October so I was sort of grumpy over that... I think over all I am simply not a large resort gal any longer - it has been moving in this direction for sometime but I believe I am better suited to a small property or a rental home.

Okay... back to fun stuff....
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Fun stuff as promised

Last time my husband and I were in Hawaii we went Kayaking in Kailua.

http://www.kailuasailboards.com/ it was upon Sf's recommendation and was a huge hit. My daughter's have been wanting to swim with dolphins for years (yes, yes, yes I know.. I know... I know) so doing both was a bit out of budget.

We had to go back to Kailua which is by far one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. We also had the BEST breakfast I have ever had.

Now you should know... I do not really like breakfast - am happy with something small - but when our own Melissa recommended Boots and Kimo's we gave it a try on our way to kayaking and I was in heaven! Oh my goodness! http://www.yelp.com/biz/boots-and-ki...kitchen-kailua I have never ate something so scrumptious!

So we headed back one morning to Boots and Kimos to treat the girls to the awesomeness of Boots and Kimos mac pancakes... and oh boy - life was good

Onward to the beach we went and enjoyed sometime in the water before heading over to Sea Life park for the girls to have their dolphin adventure.

http://www.sealifeparkhawaii.com/

This place was straight out of 50 first dates .. oh yeah - it WAS in 50 first dates It is campy and goofy with an amazing view!

The girls did a double dolphin ride with the worlds only wholphin and dolphin ... it was a great time for them - they were fun to watch and we quickly departed when their time was over. Great photos and memories for them. PETA please refrain.

The day continued at Hanauma Bay for snorkeling fun. We arrived later in the afternoon so it was free - it generally costs around 5.00 per person and you have to watch a short video before proceeding down the steep hill. There is a tram you can pay for (I think 1.00 per person??) if there are mobility issues. I love the roosters that just hang out... something so Hawaii about it.

The snorkeling was good (not great) but the girls had a BLAST.

We headed home after a very active day - I think that day we might have driven back to the shrimp Shack so that my husband could try? I get the days confused as I said..but one day we did eat at the Shrimp Shack again so my husband could try it and did get more shaved ice
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

More fun stuff & Food..

We ate at http://www.yelp.com/biz/ko-olina-haw...-b-que-kapolei

one night - did take out and brought it back to the room. Very good, cheap and easy.

Girls wanted to parasail - so we headed out one day Seabreeze Water Sports

http://www.seabreezewatersports.com/

I would highly recommend them. My husband went out with them. I got seasick in a way I would wish on no one when we went on a "sunset" dinner cruise (lie from the pit of hell! it was a test shot for "Perfect Storm!!!) on Kauai... so I stayed behind and did some shopping - they have a fabulous time and got great photos.

We had lunch at a HORRIBLE place... I have to find the name so that you do not go and eat there - service was bad - food was cold - blah blah and it was not cheap. I will see if I can get the name.

Our 17 year old left on Tuesday - she needed to get back to California and to school (she lives with her Mom - she is my stepdaughter) so that was a damper on the FUN - we were not sure how much fun our youngest would continue to have without her sister.

We were pleasantly surprised.

Hubby and I ate at Chuck's one night - our daughter wanted to chill in the room (see: enough time with parental units) and we enjoyed a meal to ourselves - it was very tasty and the Luau was going on - and the view is wonderful from Chucks. That is a good tip. You can eat at Chuck's on the patio and have a great view of the entire Luau and not pay the Luau prices or eat what I would consider sub-standard food.

We spent time by the pool and on the beach and walked the coves several times - and went past the JW Marriott which is the last property on the coves - and went into the tide pool areas - my profile photo is actual taken there.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM

Sounds fabulous! I'm glad you all had a lovely time.

Lee Ann
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:45 PM

How wonderful Dawn! My turn to be envious!

Too funny about the Mustang - my own DH has always wanted to rent one, but I've always put my foot down - much more expensive than a regular rental and I don't want to spend the vacation wind-blown!

I can relate to the swimming pool/towel wristband thing. The Marriott on Kaanapali does the same thing - only it's hit-and-miss enforcement. ALL the owners complain about it - makes you feel like a 4-yr-old at the local city pool.

Like you, I'm also always in bed early and up really early when in Hawaii. Early, early morning is my FAVORITE time there.

I'm so glad you had such a great time!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM

How's construction coming on the Disney resort?

We've eaten at Hapa Gripll and liked it. Simple fresh food, nothing fancy about it!

I'm glad you "warned" me about the towel thing - I can feel my BP rising and I'm not going to Hawaii until October, and not staying at a Marriott!

Glad the trip was so good anyway.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 09:38 PM

I really have enjoyed your trip report, Dawn. We have not been to Hawaii in a few years so will look forward to trying some of the places you mentioned when we go there in the next few months. Glad you had a fun trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM

Your report has just convinced me that Hawaii should be our next destination!!

I am loving all the detail and the "links" are a great idea.

I can't believe that your hubby caved in on the Mustang. Now that you're back down to a party of 3, it would seem like the perfect mode of transport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -