Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Motion of the Ocean - Martha's Vineyard Ferry/Whale Watching (and a few other questions)

Search

Motion of the Ocean - Martha's Vineyard Ferry/Whale Watching (and a few other questions)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! Would appreciate your insight as to the roughness --or lack thereof-- of the ocean for ferry trip from the Cape to the Vineyard and also on for the whale watching tour in Ptown. No doubt, I'll be prepared with some non-drowsy Dramamine. (I'll be in trouble if a bottle of wine is needed to further anesthetize myself!)

My husband and I will be traveling to Cape Cod [for the first time] next fall, Oct 1st through Oct 5th. Will my "Monday through Friday" itinerary on the Cape be limited in any way in terms of sightseeing? Thus far, the only place that isn't open until Thursday is the Edward Gorey House.

Here's our sightseeing wish list: Ptown (whale watching/pilgrim monument), Martha's Vineyard, National Seashore, JFK Museum, Glass Museum, Lavendar Farm, Plimouth/Salem OR trip to Nantucket.

Which would you suggest we visit, Plimouth/Salem or Nantucket?

Excluding the 5 days on the Cape, we have an entire day to visit Quincy Market/Cambridge area in Boston before departing from Logan. How long is the road trip on a Saturday morning from the Cape to the Quincy Market are?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM

Before you finalize your itinerary, get a good map of the Boston area. Plymouth is halfway in-between Cape Cod and Boston, whereas Salem is an hour NORTH of Boston. Likewise, Quincy Marketplace and Cambridge are many miles apart and wouldn't be considered the same "area". There is a JFK-related museum in Hyannis, but THE JFK Museum and library is in Boston. Finally, the drive time to Boston from the Cape depends on where you are on the Cape.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:47 AM

The roughness is impossible to predict. It is weather related and can be as smooth as glass or quite rough if it is windy. Plan on very warm clothing for the whale watch. Today it is in the mid 60's and breezy. It would be cold on the water.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Part of our trip is to enjoy the fall foliage so the driving doesn't worry us --just the time constraints. Nonetheless, it was a VERY good point, so I'll be taking a closer look at our Boston itinerary.

The JFK Museum I was referring to was the one in Hyannis. We are looking to stay in the Mid Cape as most have suggested for "first time wash ashores"! LOL
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:13 AM

IMHO the Cape is not the place for fall foliage. We just don't get the colors you see off Cape. Except for the swamp maples. Taking the scenic train, www.capetrain.com is a nice way to see the Cape especially in the fall.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Cape Train suggestion!

I'll need to think about the lack of fall foliage on the Cape for a moment... I have always wanted to visit the Cape and the Vineyard and thought I'd combine the trip with some fall foilage sightseeing. (Being from FL one rarely sees anything but green trees!)

Thus far, this our itinerary:

3/4 day in Newport
5 full days on Cape Cod
3/4 day in Boston (departing from Logan)

Should we be staying elsewhere in MA and take 2 day trips to the Cape? (One for Ptown and the other for the Vineyard.)
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:26 AM

I think if you want to see the Cape you should stay on the Cape. Basing yourself in Hyannis is a good idea as you're close to the ferry to the Vineyard and less than an hour's drive to PTown.

Are you planning on a day trip to Newport? It's not very close to the Cape. I might drive to Newport and stay overnight and then make my way to Boston. Newport is great and there's plenty lots to do to keep you occupied for a day or two. Boston is about an hour and 45 min from Newport.

With less than a day you can park in Boston near Faneuil Hall and easily take the T if you want to see Cambridge or the Back Bay or the JRK library. From Faneuil Hall it's an easy walk to Beacon Hill, the Common, Downtown Crossing and the North End so there's plenty to do and see in that area.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM

Ooops...that should read JFK library!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We visited the Cape this past August. The ferry rides were fine. The whale watching out of P'town was FANTASTIC, but the ride was a bit rough at times. If you are prone to motiong sickness, take some Bonine. That doesn't cause the drowsiness that Dramamine does.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in CT before the onset of our vacation, which means we'll be driving to the Cape via Newport (hope that makes sense).

Our visit to the Boston area will coincide with the day of our departure.

Hence, out of the 5-day stay on the Cape, we are considering taking a "day trip" to Salem or elsewhere.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM

Hi Winkz40!

I agree with gomiki that the roughness of the water is impossible to predict. For what its worth, I was on the ferry last October headed to MV (my most romantic trip ever!).

I typically have to wear that ear patch thing when I travel the seas-I hate the patch though b/c it makes my sight blurry so I decided to risk it and, thankfully, I was ok! I was completely fine on both the smaller and the larger ferry (took a different size coming than going). Maybe you are more sensitive to the waves than I am though so…….maybe better to be safe than sorry!?

amp;

I hope this helps!

Have a wonderful time!!!!!

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
blh

We just returned Saturday from a ten day trip to Boston, Cape Cod, Nantucket, and Newport. It was fantastic - the weather was perfect nine out of ten days - (had two half days of light rain). However, we didn't see much fall color at all - and really didn't expect to. There was a little bit of color on the way back to Boston on Friday (the 29th).

We had four days in Boston which was just about right. Of course, we didn't do everything, but did all we had intended to do. And didn't feel rushed. Then we spent a day driving on 6A on the Cape from Sandwich to Chatham and then to Hyannis for the night. Spent the night across from the ferry and took it the next morning to Nantucket. The ride was great. Spent two days and nights on Nantucket - just about the right amount of time.

Rode the ferry back to Hyannis and drove to Newport and stayed two nights. We could have done with another l/2 day or so in Newport. Then we drove to Plymouth and did the Plimoth Plantation and Mayflower II on the way back to Boston. Stayed at the Hilton at the airport and caught a flight home early on Sat. morning.

The only thing we noticed not open was some stores on Sunday on the Cape. But we couldn't have done any more than we did - so it was okay! The weather was warmer than we expected - in the 70's most days. We ate many meals outside even in the evening.

Our favorite place was Nantucket - so I wouldn't miss that if you're trying to cut out something. However, we loved it all and wouldn't have missed any of it!

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. We drove to the airport from Plymouth in about an hour - would depend, of course, on the time of day and the traffic. All the towns on the Cape are very close - you go from one to the next in just minutes. We took the slow ferry (Hy-line cruise) over to Nantucket (took 1 hr. 50 min.) and the fast ferry back (took only one hour). Either one is fine, just depends on your schedule. This time of year the slow ferry only runs once a day. The fast ferry has several options, which is why we returned on the fast ferry.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Wow, what wonderful responses!

I'm taking notes on everything you are all mentioning and perfecting my trip!

What amazes me the most is that no matter how much I've read and researched... there is always more to learn. Love it!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

One more question... What the heck do I do with my long hair on the ferry rides to the Vineyard and Nantucket or the whale watching trip?

Will my only resort be a ponytail and baseball cap? Is there anything else a little more "chic" that will help keep the mane under control?

...besides chopping it off (hardy har har!)
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM

Hi Winkz44!

Ive got long thick curly hair and I went au natural (no hat, no ponytail) on the ferry (and on previous whale watching tours) and it stayed completely under control! I always have a ponytail holder on my wrist though just in case things get unruly, hahaha! There was a breeze on the ferry but it was a light breeze like youd feel at the beach (not to say it was a warm breeze)!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:21 AM

I love being on the top deck of the ferry and at the front of the whale watching boat. My hair was WILD and it usually is well behaved. It did OK after I ran a pick through it. There was no way a comb would have gone through it at that time though. Ponytail might be a good idea.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Hm... to be on the safe side, I'll take the cap and the srunchy. My hair knots easily and I'd hate to look like Medusa on what is suppose to be a romantic adventure.

Oh, and the Bonine or patch. BTW, will I still be needing a a prescription for the patch or the Bonine?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Blh, sounds like you had a magnificent time on your trip. Sounds like a dream vacation to me!

I'm curious about one thing, out of all the places you visited you said Nantucket was your favorite. Would love to hear why!

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM

You don't need a prescription for Bonine. It's sold over the counter. You will need a prescription for the patch. The patch has a lot of side effects though.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Not knowing your location in CT, I don't know how long it would take you to get to Newport RI, but I would head out early and spend at least one full day there and perhaps an overnight depending on what interests you in Newport.

I would suggest at the least you do the ocean drive
and the link to that with exact directions i
oceandrivenewport.com. You will get a nice overview of the area. Then, you can check out
newportmansions.org and see if there is one that appeals to you or not to go through, or the International Tennis Hall of Fame on Bellevue Ave.

An early dinner downtown on the wharf area and then head to the Cape.

Or spend the night and....

The Cliff Walk can also be lovely, but you can check it out on cliffwalk.com to see updates on if it's open, renovation work, etc or if it even appeals to you.

You can also see the church where JFK was married, if that interests you and drive by the Hammersmith Farm , etc.

This doesn't include srolling thru the downtown wharf area of shops, or the Bellevue Ave shops and side streets if that interests you - restaurants enjoying a meal or sunset at the Inne at Castle Hill, etc - so you would have to pick if one full day in Newport is enough for you or if you would like the day you arrive and an overnight and head out the next day for the Cape.

There are many lovely choices for an overnight.

Hyannis area would be good, and you are close to the ferry for a day trip to nantucket and your day trip to Provincetown - just be sure to check out on the web the ferry times as they are often not as frequent after the summer.

A day on Nantucket will be lovely and you can pick your best weather day when you are here - walk Main Street and all the side streets, enjoy a nice lunch, there are lighthouses (Brant Pt perhaps) and museum, etc. Even if some shops have fall hours, walk the dock/shop area the boat basin.

Your whale watch trip you can also pick a good weather day for, and I would suggest a hooded sweatshirt only b/c the wind can whip thru your ears and a cap can go flying, so I'd have both and definitely tie my hair back for the ride unless you are staying inside.

Your other cape days I would amble as suggested on 6A, many antique/stores/galleries - google and get maps and see what interests you - driving and visiting maybe other cape towns at your leisure for two days.

So I would do 4 days on Cape: 2 for exploring, one to PTown and one to Nantucket.

You can drive to Boston via Plymouth and stop and see "the rock" - don't blink and you might be surprised at the small size, etc, see the Mayflower, walk along the harbor and head back on the highway to Boston - spending maybe 2 hrs tops in Plymouth waterfront.

I would then stay a night in Boston and head out.
(or, do the JFK museum just south of Boston and go straight to Boston for the night and next day and skip Salem altogether)

If you are interested in Salem, I would not do a day trip from the Cape, - way out ofyour way to do that in one day - i would tie it in if it is a must and leave the Cape early, stop at Plymouth, and go to Salem by mid afternoon spending the rest of day there, head back to Boston after traffic and spend the night and next day in Boston

Question: what is the attraction to go to salem for you? the witch museums, another seaside town, ?
B/c I feel it is out of your way, and I wouldn't count on that day to get 'foliage sightings' you never know if it will be an early or late or good or bad year for foliage until it gets closer.

Here are two links to help with foliage int he BOston area as it gets closer:

Mass Foliage Hot Line 1.800.227.MASS

Website for details on forests/parks/ where to view on
mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm

If foliage has hit us early, there is a lovely spot in Milton that overlooks Boston with lovely foliage views - or maybe you'd even see some from the top of the Prudential Skywalk on a good day -

or if foliage is a must, and the season is good and early, heading into southern NH vs. Salem might be better

But get a good feel for the drive times as stated, look at a map, you know your comfortable driving speeds and if you like to stop when you want and not be rushed.

A couple just asked me for directions the other day (I was halfway between Boston and the south shore area) they wanted to go to Plymouth, see the sites and go further on the cape and catch the ferry to the vineyard for a day trip...it was already 1pm...it wasn't going to happen they were 45 min from Plymouth and then from there to the ferry, park, take shuttle to ferry, etc, etc....and then they wanted to head north of Boston the next morning - too much for what was left of that day and not possible at the hour they were starting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -