Month long road trip Black Hills SD, Yellowstone and Rocky Mtn NP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the first stage of planning a road trip from Louisville Ky. I have been reading postings on the forum here for ideas and have come up with a very rough sketch of what we want to do.

We would like to take about 1 month for this trip but that is flexible. Our trip could take place anytime in 2012, but due to weather concerns we figured it should be mid May into Jume or late August into September. We are also considering reversing the route if doing in in late May.

We are not heavy hikers, like small towns and scenery for photography.

1. Louisville to Racine WI for visit with family.
2. Mt Rushmore by way of Sioux Falls SD
3. Yellowstone NP
4. Grand Tetons
5. Rocky Mt NP
6. Great Sand Dunes NP
(Maybe add in Mesa Verde?}
7. Taos NM
8. Santa Fe NM
9. Rte 66 back through St Louis and on to Louisville KY.
Does this sound like a reasonable time to do a trip of this type?

Feedback please.

I should also add that we have done the Utah parks and Grand Canyon, so don't want to retrace any part of those areas.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM

If you do August - Sept then I'd do the route the way you have it. Try to time it so you are in Yellowstone right after Labor Day. The crowds will have died down and the weather is usually still very mild.

Please check out Mesa Verde if you have the time. From Rocky Mountain National Park work your way to Ouray, CO and then take the Million Dollar Hwy 550 down to Durango. In early Sept - mid Sept is fall colors and well worth the trip. From Durango you can make your way to Mesa Verde.

If you decide on May - June time frame, then you will want to do the route in reverse to make sure that you miss the snow in the Rockies and Yellowstone and the main roads have been open. It's so hard to tell from year to year what kind of snow they will get in the winter and predict when the roads will be open to the major attractions.

We've been to Yellowstone at the beginning of June twice and had great weather, but I know that it snowed pretty hard the week before one year! We've also been in early September. I like both times of the year but I would venture to guess it would be easier to avoid the snows in fall than in spring.

Utahtea
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM

If you can hit the Great Sand Dunes towards the end of May or 1st of June that is when the Medano Creek is running at it's best. This year, I think it barely ran at all. We were there the year before and it was awesome. If you have a 4 wheel drive, consider driving the Primitive Road. There is only one place to stay at and one place to eat at near the Great Sand Dunes. The motel even has grills for each room, because they know there is really nothing to eat there but the one place and it is a typical cafe. It's ok, just burgers and basic breakfast foods. There is also a place there that rents unfurnished cabins that don't have a private bath. You have to bring your own linens. Of course, there is a privately owned campground and the one in the park.

I would definately hit Mesa Verde. I would do it over Great Sand Dunes, Taos, and Santa Fe if you had to choose.

Depending on the weather all of Yellowstone Roads might not be open until Mid-June. Drive the Beartooth HWY if it is open by then. It depends on the weather as well. There are many positive about going in early June as there will be fewer people and you will see a lot of baby animals. Waterfalls in Yellowstone will be rolling at max most likely. We were in Yellowstone a few years ago-- arriving June 15, 2008. The roads in Yellowstone weren't fully open until the 16th and The Beartooth was closed. But as Utahtea says, each year is different. You might not have a good idea of it opening until a few days before your arrival.

Will you be staying at lodges in the Parks?
Buy an annual National Park Pass and save some $$$$$. If you are over 62 a lifetime pass is just $10.

In South Dakota you would want to see Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Badlands, Crazy Horse and camp or lodge at Custer State Park.

I think a month would be great. You will need to get camping or lodging secure ASAP though.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 03:15 PM

louky, we made a cross country trip from Kentucky in September 2009 on our way to an Alaskan cruise leaving from Vancouver and saw a lot of the places you are planning on. If you would like to read my trip report, it is called Across the Wide Missouri and North to Alaska.

If you go to Yellowstone, do include the Grand Tetons. I really did like South Dakota, especially the scenic road from Spearfish to Deadwood, as well as Deadwood itself.

I think the fall would be better weather-wise.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM

In the Fall, I suspect that you might not see as many animals. You would stand the chance of some good fall colors and the Elk Rut in several places would be awesome. The waterfalls wouldn't be going as well. There would be far less people. There is always a trade off in the seasons. I haven't been to any of these places in the fall, but would certainly love to go back.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Decisions, decisions. Looks like I am going to have to really knuckle down and figure out our plan.

If we hit Yellowstone and Rocky Mtn parks in early September, will the area around Santa Fe still be snow free by the time we make it down there?

Back to the planning.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 09:49 AM

Last September we spent a couple weeks in northern New Mexico. I was looking at our pictures and my DH was in shorts in Santa Fe on 9/17/11. It has to be very hot to get DH into shorts...LOL! I don't know when they get their first snows in New Mexico, but I would think it's much later in the year.

Utahtea
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM

Usually, it won't snow in New Mexico until October or November, and that won't stick except in the high country.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, you guys are great about sharing information. I should have joined up long ago now that I see what I have been missing.

I am still trying to get a grasp on how long I should plan for each area and where our overnight stops should be. It is hard figuring out an exact route to see the sights in South Dakota, and Yellowstone and I haven't even begun to tackle the rest of the trip. It seems to be a daunting task in the early planning and so many different routes we could take through South Dakota and on to Yellowstone.

I am also trying to figure out if it is absolutely necessary to stay inside the parks or would booking something in say, Cooke and West Yellowstone give us enough flexibility to see things without missing out?

What is a reasonable route to take through South Dakota that would enable us to see the major attractions there and then how to maneuver on the Yellowstone? Would Rapid City be an okay base for exploring the area around Mt Rushmore or should we hotel hop through that area?

Please give me some pointers. I feel overwhelmed with the choices so far.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM

Hi louky52,

I always thought planning a trip was half the fun and you have plenty of time before your trip.

I love Yellowstone and to really scratch the surface of this park, I'd plan on 3 days minimum and any where from 5 - 7 days if you have them! Our first few visits I wouldn't go unless we had 6 or 7 days to spend in the park. We now go and spend two weeks in just Yellowstone!

Cooke would be a nice place to spend one night after doing the Beartooth Highway and then to get a very early start for Lamar Valley to view wildlife. Cooke is way to far away from the other attractions and areas of the park to make it base camp. Same for Cody, WY.

If you decide to stay outside the park then West Yellowstone, MT is the best location to reach all the areas of the park without having to change lodging locations. If you decide to stay in the park then I'd recommend changing locations at least once, or maybe twice at the most. One location would be at Old Faithful and plan a couple nights there because there are so many geysers and geyser areas to see.

We always camp at either Badlands and/or Custer State Park so can't really be of help with lodging. Rapid City does seem like a reasonable place to do day trips to Mt. Rushmore, Badlands and Custer State Park.

Once you leave Rapid City area you might consider going to Deadwood and I wouldn't do that as a day trip because there's no need to back track but someone else will have to help you with lodging. I'm sure you can find some in Sturgis, SD.

On the way to Yellowstone I'd highly recommend making the detour to see Devils Tower National Monument.

In Sheridan, WY you have some decisions to make. Are you going to come in on the Bearthooth Highway? If so, then you have the quicker route of taking I-90 the scenic mountain route over Alt 14 and then the back roads up to I-90. If you decide against the Beartooth Highway then you have the choice of Hwy 14 or Alt 14 to reach Cody, WY. What ever you do, I'd plan on at least two days to reach the park without entering it if you want to do sightseeing along the way.

Depending on how much hiking you plan to do, I'd spend at least two nights at the Grand Tetons. More if you are into hiking.

Utahtea
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM

I am fondly remembering family trips along a similar route from Illinois. My only concern with your outline is hitting the road so much instead of spending a few days in one place to look around at the scenery and breathe the mountain air.

I remember utahtea from our previous Arizona-Utah trip and also am urging more relaxed schedule, e.g., in Yellowstone Natl Pk. Not to mention other stop offs like Badlands and Black Canyon of Gunnison.

Bill in Boston
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

I have come up with a rough outline of the trip. We decided we did not want to do long days of driving from one place to the other, so I have spaced out our stops so as to enable us to enjoy the journery as well as destinations. I also planned so as to us some of our many Hilton points whenever possible although the hotels do not have bookings available this far in advance. Here is the proposed itinerary...
1.Louisville Ky to Racine for a family visit.
2.Rochester MN (overnight)
3.Sioux Falls SD (overnight)
4.Rapid City SD (overnight) with a detour through Badlands.
5.Keystone or Hill City (overnight) with sightseeing of Custer State Pk and surrounding areas.
6.Gillette WY (overnight) with more sightseeing before leaving the Black Hills area and a stop at Devils Tower.
7.Cody MT
8. Cooke City MT (overnight) via Red Lodge and Beartooth Hwy
8.Old Faithful Snow Lodge (overnight)
9.Old Faithful Snow Lodge (overnight)
10.West Yellowstone hotel. (overnight)
11. Jackson Hole (overnight) Tetons
12.Jackson Hole (overnight) Tetons
13.Jackson Hole (overnight) Tetons
14.Rawlins WY (overnight)
15.Ft Collins Hotel CO (overnight) with some touring of RMNP
16. Estes Park CO hotel (overnight)RMNP
17. Estes Park CO hotel (overnight)RMNP
18. Gunnison CO hotel (overnight)
19. Gunninson down 550 to Durango hotel (overnight)
20.Durango (overnight) with visit to Mesa Verde
21. Alamosa CO(overnight) with visit to Great Sand Dunes St Pk
22.Taos NM (overnight)
23. Santa Fe NM (overnight)
24.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
25.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
26.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
27.Amarillo Tx some touring Rte 66
28.Oklahoma City OK (overnight) some touring Rte 66
29. Springfield MO (overnight)
30. Ofallon Il (overnight)
31. Back to square one in Louisville Ky

Any comments on the lodging inside Yellowstone? Anyone stayed at the OF Snow Lodge lately?

Please give me feedback on my plans and any tweaking that you feel might be needed. I have no reservations (other than OF Snow Lodge) since they are not yet bookable, so I am completely open to any changes in our itinerary.

And finally, thanks to for the help in making this plan come together.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM

Your plan is looking pretty good!

I would have put West Yellowstone before Old Faithful so you wouldn't have to do so much back tracking. I personally would have added one more day to Yellowstone. If you spend the day you are going to Jackson Hole that will help.

I know you said you wanted to use your Hilton Points, but staying in Mesa Verde instead of Durango will give you much more time in the park. The ranger lead tours are well worth the couple of dollars for the tickets. If you are there early enough you can get two in tours in one day.

Santa Fe and the area is nice and we spent a week there last year but it just can't compare IMHO to Yellowstone. If you really can't find anywhere else to add time to Yellowstone, I personally would take one night from Santa Fe.

Utahtea
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks utahtea. I will reconsider the timing in Yellowstone and also staying in Mesa Verde one night.

I chose the nights in Yellowstone due to the availability at OF Snow Lodge, so will continue to see what might open up there. Do you have an opinion on this lodging or suggestions on other ones?

Any suggestions for lodging in Mesa Verde or Sante Fe?

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM

We have a motorhome and have always camp except way back in 1974. As for location, location, location I'd recommend something in the Old Faithful area for a couple of nights. If it opens up and you can spend all your time there, then I'd grab it. It's not that far to West Yellowstone and it would save having to move another time to a motel. I'm surprised that next year is so booked up already. You sure you didn't make reservations for this year?

I hear Far View within Mesa Verde is the place to stay.

Utahtea
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Even if you do stay at Mesa Verde, plan to see Durango. It's a neat town.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Just a FYI, maybe a typo but Cody is in WY not MT.

It is the perfect picture of a one main road western town, cute front street stores and lots of hotels: none Hilton tho.
Alos I rec the AmericINN hotel: newer, nice western decor, Bubba's BBQ pretty ggo in teh parking lot and WalAMrt for stocking up on supplies before you head into teh Yellowstone PArk.

Watch your gas and the local towns speed limts: sheriff like giving tickets to "out of towners" And watch out for deer and antelope: they seem to like to jump out in front...
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

1JAR, yes it was a typo. Sounds like Cody will be lots of fun and full of photo ops. I will have to check out the AmericINN and Bubba's BBQ.

Utahtea, yes it is 2012, and lots of dates completely booked. I will keep checking and see if anything else opens up. We do have one extra night scheduled for Yellowstone area, I just made a mistake when tying in all the dates and places, so a total of 4 nights Yellowstone area.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Wow, that is amazing that Old Faithful is booked up for Sept 2012! Glad we camp! Good to hear you have more time in Yellowstone.

I'll second Bubba's BBQ. It's not a fancy place but very gooooood BBQ ribs!

Utahtea
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

I have tweaked the schedule a bit and have a few questions.

5. Which of the towns would be best for touring Black Hills area...Custer, Hill City or Keystone?

16.Traveling from Jackson Wy to Rawlins...which would be the most scenic route? We may be going back into Tetons before heading to Rawlins that day. 287 to Rawlins or back through Jackson and down 191 to I80 to Rawlins?

20.Breckenridge Co to Montrose... Would it be more scenic to head back up I70 and over to 24 through Leadville or just head straight through to Fairplay and down to 50 to Montrose?

Since this trip is for Sept 2012 I have plenty of time to tweak and make changes.

Thanks much for the continued help.

1.Louisville Ky to Racine for a family visit.
2.Rochester MN (overnight)
3.Sioux Falls SD (overnight)
4.Rapid City SD (overnight) with a detour through Badlands.
5.Keystone, Hill City or Custer (overnight) with sightseeing of Custer State Pk and surrounding areas.
6.Keystone, Hill City or Custer (overnight) with sightseeing of Custer State Pk and surrounding areas.
7.Gillette WY (overnight) with more sightseeing before leaving the Black Hills area and a stop at Devils Tower and maybe Spearfish Canyon.
8.Cody WY (overnight)
9. Cooke City MT (overnight) via Red Lodge and Beartooth Hwy
10.Old Faithful Snow Lodge (overnight)
11.Old Faithful Snow Lodge (overnight)
12.West Yellowstone hotel (overnight) Will keep trying for in park or switching stay in park after West Yellowstone.
13.West Yellowstone hotel. (overnight)Will keep trying for in park or switching stay in park after West Yellowstone.
14.Jackson Hole (overnight) Tetons
15.Jackson Hole (overnight) Tetons
16.Jackson Hole (overnight) Tetons
17.Rawlins WY (overnight)
18.Estes Park CO hotel (overnight)RMNP
19.Estes Park CO hotel (overnight)RMNP
20.Breckenridge CO hotel (overnight)RMNP
21.Montrose CO hotel (overnight)
19.Durango hotel (overnight) with visit to Mesa Verde or possible overnight in Mesa Verde.
20.Durango (overnight)
21.Alamosa CO(overnight) with visit to Great Sand Dunes St Pk
22.Taos NM (overnight)
23.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
24.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
25.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
26.Santa Fe NM (overnight)
27.Amarillo Tx (overnight)some touring Rte 66
28.Oklahoma City OK (overnight) some touring Rte 66
29.Springfield MO (overnight)
30.Ofallon Il (overnight)
31.Back to Louisville Ky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -