Hotels & B&B's in Charleston's Historic District

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're finally visiting Charleston in early September 2009 for a week. We've wanted to go there for sometime and at last our flights are booked, using FF miles.

I've been researching places to stay and perhaps I've gathered too much information, because I'm having a hard time making a decision. Would like to spend no more than $200/night (or slightly more) but I'm finding Historic District lodging is pretty expensive. I've checked out the usual sources trying to find a deal, but haven't found anything sensational. I've never used Price Line, don't even know how to use it, but some of you seem to do very well there.

Would appreciate advice and suggestions on where to stay, particularly recommendations for places you have stayed. We are not good "walkers" so being near restaurants, places of interest, etc. would be helpful.

Would also appreciate thoughts on sightseeing. I've also been investigating that part of the trip and have quite a long list of places/things to see, but haven't yet worked up an itinerary so that we don't waste time. Obviously would like to visit places that are near each other to cut down on driving time. We plan to rent a car for a few days, but it looks like we could probably see quite a lot without a car for part of our visit.

Looking forward to your thoughts, ideas, expertise, etc.!
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Just peeking to see where Giovanna is going, never mind me
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Try some of these:

http://www.ansonboroughinn.com/content.asp?catID=16223

Doubletree Guest Suites Charleston-Historic District
- www.doubletree.com (very nice set up with two rooms and a kitchen)located right next to the Market

http://www.andrewpinckneyinn.com/

www.francismarioncharleston.com

I highly recommend you take the Gullah tour of Charleston. Very interesting. If you have time during your stay you might also enjoy a day trip to Beaufort, SC.
There are two books I think you would enjoy as a preparation to your visit to Charleston. Mrs. Whaley's Charleston Gardens and Mrs Whaley Entertains. They give a lot of insight into Charleston society in the 1900's. Very entertaining as well!
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM

In April my sister and I stayed at The Meeting Street Inn, www.meetingstreetinn.com
Very central location near shops and restaurants. We walked everywhere.
I believe the price was $200 or under. Our room was very large with two large (queen?) canopied beds. A sink and long vanity were in the main room while the potty and tub/shower were in a separate room. Also had a small fridge which came in handy for bottled water and fruit. Price included a great breakfast, which we ate in their lovely courtyard, and wine and cheese happy hour.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM

The King Charles Inn on Meeting Street (in the Historic District) is a great place to stay. I believe it is now owned by Best Western. We stayed there about 3 or 4 years ago and agreed that it was our favorite hotel - ever. And we usually stay in much more expensive hotels. As I recall it was about $150/night then. Very cozy & homey. The staff was great and very accommodating. Free wine & cheese in the evening and free parking. It has the B& B "feel" but more privacy than a B&B. I've seen it highly recommended on some other travel web sites, too. Check it out: www.kingcharlesinn.com
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:27 AM

I'm staying at the Francis Marion in two weeks. I'll report back on the experience...
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:40 AM

We just took our first trip to Charleston in March. We stayed at the Hampton Inn historic and it was great. Get one of the L-shaped rooms (It was huge and less than $200/night). Its a little farther away from everything but is easily walkable. The main trolly stop is right across the street as is the visitors center, the Charleston museum, and the childrens museum which my 10 year old daughter loved. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance as well as the best cupcake store ever and a great gelato shop. We had a great time in Charleston, hope you do as well.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM

Check ou tthe May 2009 edition of Gourmet. There is a small article on Charleston.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions/recommendations.

I had the Gullah Tour on my list of things to do, so glad to hear it is a good one. We did a day trip to Beaufort when we had our wonderful stay in Savannah, but if time allows would like to go again. Thanks for the book suggestions.

Some of the hotel/inn suggestions I've looked into, but it is great to have your experiences with stays and opinions about them!

We're really looking forward to our trip as we've wanted to visit Charleston for a long time.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM

King Charles Inn is a great option - very central, reasonable rates and a just finished renovation makes it very charming. Stayed in Feb and was very pleased - especially for the price.

Andrew Pinckney is another good option, but will likely cost a bit more.

Francis Marion and Hampton Inn are too non-central for not good walkers.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM

I live in Charleston and recommend any tours by Bulldog. All of the above recommendations are fine. I might question Francis Marion- looks a bit dated from outside. I love the Frech Quarter but haven't checked on price. Great location!!!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM

plufmud, like your name!

Giovanna, I did a trip report with details on a lot of the hotels.

For the money, it is hard to beat The Andrew Pinckeny.

The Days Inn and the King Charles Best Western (it has been a BW for years) are both hard to beat for location and price.

I don't know how many are in your party but you can always use priceline and hotwire.

Do not try and stay outside the historic area to save a few dollars. It isn't worth any money you save.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-hotels.cfm?69

FWIW, early September is still summer for us so be prepared for heat and humidity.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate the additional thoughts and suggestions. Hadn't heard of Bulldog tours, will check it out. Just went through your fun and informative trip report GT. Thanks for giving me the link. All of this is very helpful. Look forward to more.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM

http://www.bulldogtours.com

GT- should have been pluffmud
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Have you checked Lodge Alley Inn? Sometimes you can get a good rate there and its right in the market district.

All time favorite-2 Meeting St. My wife cried when we walked in the "Carriage" room. Worth a 1 night splurge, its on The Battery. We stayed there then went out to Kiawah.

I've stayed at Francis Marion, its nice, older, but a couple blocks out from the market area although pretty close to King St shopping.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM

We stayed at the HolidayInn Historic District Charleston. The concierge -Kevin McQuade- is over-the-top fantastic. I recommend that you check out all of his accolades on www.tripadvisor.com. He arranged a 3 day vacation for us that we are still talking about months later.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

I did check Trip Advisor and we were almst settled on the HI, but then discovered it's on the edge of the historic district, and since we're not very good walkers decided against it. Kevin McQuade sounds absolutely marvelous. Sorry we won't have his services.

Hadn't heard of the Lodge Alley Inn. I have looked at both 2 Meeting St. and Francis Marion.

Thank you chewy and estravel for taking the time to post your suggestions. I appreciate it.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM

The Francis Marion was nice, clean and comfy. We got a standard room with a view. I will say that I don't think the hotel was worth $200 a night (our room needed some repair in the bathroom), but we got a good deal from our agent at $127. Parking was cheaper at the city owned lot next door at an additional $12 per 24 hour period (cash only)...it was $17 per 24 hours for the hotel owned valet ( although, this could be added to your hotel bill).
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

We made the plunge yesterday and reserved at the King Charles Inn. I think we've made a good choice based on my research. Wanted to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to respond with your suggestions for our upcoming trip. Ain't Fodor's grand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -