Search

Martha's Vineyard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martha's Vineyard

My wife and I are going to Martha's Vineyard for a couple of days in September. We will be spending most of a week in Boston and then taking a couple of days to go to Martha's Vineyard. It's our first time, so any advice on what to do, where to stay/eat, and whether to take the car on the ferry to the island would be most appreciated. THANKS!!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:45 PM
gyppielou

It's a pretty big island, so yes, if you can get reservations for your car, and find it within your budget, then bring your car. I'd stay in Edgartown, and if you have a car spend one day exploring the island, making sure to have fried clams, if you like them in Menemsha, or lobster in the rough. BYOB. I'd also take the car ferry to Chappy and explore those beaches, the best the island has to offer in my opinion. Have fun!!!!!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice! Are you familiar at all with Nantuckett? We can't decide for sure whether we should spend the two days on Martha's Vineyard or Nantuckett or even Cape Cod. Any recommendations would be appreciated because we have never been to this area.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM

If you want to take your car with you to the Islands then you have to take the ferry from Woods Hole. There are passenger-only ferries from Woods Hole, Falmouth and Hyannis to MV and to Nantucketfrom Hyannis and Harwichport.

All of the above towns are on Cape Cod so you could get to see parts of it on your trips to/from ferries.

There are also passenger-only ferries from Boston to Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:31 PM

If you're planning to go in September 2004 you need to make reservations ASAP. Particularly if you want to take your car on the ferry. Early September is still a busy time and some hotels book months in advance.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:07 AM

Would you recommend bringing a car there just for the day? I will be at Cape Cod for a week at the end of Sept. planning day trips to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.