Looking for a great place for special meal in NO that's not too stuffy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have reservations at CP, but I'm thinking it may be too stuffy for our taste. We love to eat good food and cost is not the real issue, but we want to be comfortable. Is Commnader's the right place or are there better places?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I was in NO in mMay We had a great dinner at the Pelican Club one block off Burborn St Sorry i dont remeber the exact street. Food service were great I would highly recommended it
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 12:07 PM

It's been a while since I was in NO so I'm not up on the latest places. I thought CP was nice for brunch. The one place I have very fond memories of is Brigsten's (pronounced Briteson's). It is not in the French Quarter though. You might like to check it out on the web. I think it still gets good reviews.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Bayona has a great atmosphere with fabulous food. There's a nice outdoor courtyard for dining if the weather agrees. We also liked the Pelican Club and Mr. B's.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Dick and Jenny's- great food, local feel. If you do a Chowhound search you'll find lots of information on the restaurant.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 02:36 PM

I don't think Commander's Palace is stuffy at all. If you enjoy good food and aren't worried about cost, I can't imagine that you wouldn't really enjoy it. The service is impeccable so there will be lots of waitstaff around, but that's part of the charm.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 02:54 PM

I agree with SusanCS, especially if you have never been to Commander's. It's a must. Another special restaurant that is rarely mentioned on Fodors is Gautreaux's. We celebrated our 20th anniversary there in June and it was wonderful. We live in Baton Rouge but I think it's a favorite with the locals.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:06 PM

I agree that Commander's Palace is not stuffy. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Don't miss out on the 25 cent martinis!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, you've all helped put my mind at ease. I've read really good reviews of CP, but my husband hates to wear a coat and tie. Only 27 days til we're eating/drinking our way through NOLA.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 12:44 PM

If it's any consolation, coats aren't required at the jazz brunch (which is my favorite meal at CP) and I don't think ties are required at all. You should probably double-check, but I think the requirement at dinner is a coat, but not necessarily a tie.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 10:22 AM

enjoylife:

Please tell me about Commanders' 75 cent martinis!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Irene's Cuisine -- really wonderful food and great service. They don't take reservations, but you will have a lovely lounge/room to wait for your table. It is comfortable and beautiful and well worth the wait.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for Brigsten's. Best is to take the streetcar there during daylight (for the fabulous homes all along the way). The ride back is scenic as well. At Brigsten's the cuisine is terrific among cozy rooms for dining. Service could not be friendlier or more attentive.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:39 PM

For the person who wasn't sure where the Pelican Club is, it's on Exchange alley, a block off Royal Street. And that is a good choice. Also Irene's or Bombay Club might be good. If you just want real casual and romantic, you can try Bernie's Kos. It's South African but they also serve a bunch of American dishes. Bernie the owner is the quintessntial romantic at heart and she is a great cook!

*(JAMIE)*
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 05:33 AM

We had a great, non-stuffy dinner at Arnaud in the Quarter last winter. It was very memorable.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Bayona & Brigsten's are both excellent choices. CP is a bit stuffy for me. I have also heard good things about August but have not eaten there. If you are looking for romance, Bella Luna on the river is nice.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Message: I'm duplicate posting this here because another thread where I put it is off on a tangent about urban crime and murder rates. Yummy.

Can anyone recommend a really good place for Thanksgiving dinner? I've tentatively booked Arnaud's and am waiting for Stella! to publish their menu on their website, but would love other suggestions. How about the brunch at the Sonesta? (They offer fried turkey, but we'd rather eat later than 3PM when they shut down.)

Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 11:05 AM

I second the suggestion for Irene's - best food I had while in New Orleans....and a great, relaxed atmosphere.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Another vote for Irene's. If you go there right when it opens, (5:30 p.m.?) you can get right in. I highly recommend the rosemary chicken and the baked alaska for dessert.

When you are through, you can walk up and get in line at the Preservation Hall for some great jazz.

(You can't go wrong at Commander's Palace, however.)
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:47 PM

I was at CP in March and some men didn't even have a jacket, but your husband would probably be more comfortable in one since most men were. The lights in the trees at night add to the romantic atmosphere. The restaurant is lovely, not stuffy. A must do when in NO! Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -