Hocking Hills Ohio: in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Cleveland and would like to drive down to Hocking Hills in October. I know they have lots of places to stay, but is it doable to drive down for the day and then either drive back (or stay in Columbus)? The places in Hocking Hills seem to be already booked or too expensive.

And anyone know why the hotels at Easton Town Centre Columbus are so expensive?

Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:57 AM

We went to Hocking Hills a few years ago in the summer, for a couple of days. You could conceivably drive down for the day and then back that evening, but that wouldn't give you the time to really explore the area. How long of a drive is it from Cleveland? Maybe the Columbus idea is more realistic.

We stayed at "Little Cola Cabin" which is a restored 1800's log cabin with a loft. It WAS expensive, but since we only spent one night, we were ok with that.

We spent all of one day and most of the next, hiking around at many of the different parks, but even with that amount of time, we didn't see it all.

The places we enjoyed most were Rock House, Cantwell Cliffs and Old Mans Cave. Awesome hikes, beautiful scenery. Fall would be spectacular.

I wish you luck in finding a place you're comfortable with. It will be a great getaway!

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 04:26 AM
maj

Did you try the Amerihost Inn? We stayed there a few years ago. It is right next to the park. You could also try again right before you go--people make reservations and then cancel--you may be able to get a good rate then.

I'm guessing it would take you about 3 hours each way to drive there. There are different areas of the park. If you do your home work before you go as far as what you want to see (there are some short hikes) it would be doable, although a long day. You definitely couldn't see the whole area--but if you like it, you can always return.

I'm just guessing about Easton Town Centre, but I know quite a few people who have gone there (church groups, etc.)so I guess as a popular tourist spot, they can charge high rates.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:18 AM
KMK

I just drove down to the Hocking Hills this spring from Cleveland. We camped overnight at the state park - obviously a cheap lodging option, but only if you like camping.

I would say it is really too long of a drive to go down AND back in one day and have any time to enjoy the area. Staying in Columbus wouldn't be a bad idea, or any area that gets you further away from the 'core' Hocking Hills area may have more reasonable and available lodging. I'm sure you've seen www.hockinghills.com which lists all the locally available lodging.

Good luck, it is really worth the trip! The Grandma Gatewood trail between Old Man's Cave and Cedar Falls is a wonderful hike, and don't miss Ash Cave - simply spectacular. I was amazed as I have lived in Ohio all my life, and I was astounded that we had such amazing natural scenery in this state. (Of course, as another poster said, Cantwell's Cliffs and Rock House are also wonderful.)