RV,ing around California , what the best hwy/ road to travell on

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The family ( 2 kids,18,17) We hiring Rv at start of july 2013 to travell from Los Angeles (flying from Aust to Los Angeles airport) stay in a hotel for 2 nite then picking up the RV (35f long) then we are heading off to.
1) RV Campground | Malibu 1nite
2) Santa Barbara RV Campgrounds * Ocean Mes 1nite
3) Santa Barbara to Pismo 2 nites
4) San Francisco RV Resort for 3 nites
5) High Sierra RV & Mobile Park for 3 nites
6) Bakersfield River Run RV Park for 1 nite
7) LVM Resort las Vegas for 3 nites
8) Orange land RV Park, for 2 nites (to see disney land)
Then back to Los Angeles to drop of the RV, i just wanted to know what would be the best hwy/roads to take , we have all the campgrounds booked
Just can't wait never been to america before
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM

A comment on your time-line. Pismo Beach to SF includes some of the most beautiful coast in California which has Hearst Castle (worth a visit), elephant seals a couple of miles up the coast, the Monterey Aquarium, to name just some major sights. You simply cannot do this in a single day, and it would be a shame to miss all of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4853767722/

A comment on where you are staying. Outside big cities, I think that you will find public campgrounds (in National Parks, State Parks, National Forests) much more pleasant than private campgrounds, even if missing some of the amenities. Reservations for public campgrounds in National Parks and State Parks are possible.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 07:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a quick note re where you are staying and some issues.

The SF park is in Pacifica and not in San Francisco. You will have a bit of a hassle getting in/out of the city if that is what you planned. Bus to the nearest BART station which is several miles away and then BART into town.

The High Sierra park is in Oakhurst and nearly 2 hours from Yosemite Valley. Longer in a motorhome.

All your routes are pretty straightforward. Hwy 1 from LA all the way to Pacifica.

Pacifica to Oakhurst - cross the Bay Bridge then catch 580 across to hwy 99, south to hwy 140, east to hwy 49 and south Oakhurst.

From Oakhurst to B'field take hwy 41 to 99 south to Bakersfield.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM

Your SF RV park is really going to be inconvenient for visiting San Francisco, as mentioned above.

High Sierra and Bakersfield are poor choices to visit Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon. You are still going to have to drive the beast into and out of the parks. You would be much better off with a reservation that was actually IN the park. High Sierra to Yosemite Valley will be at least 2 hours' drive each way.

Bakersfield is the cloaca of California in July. Hot hot hot and dull dull dull.

RV's really have limits and your trip really emphasizes those limits.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, I see if i can get a closer RV park in SF( any suggestion ) and re- book to Yosemite , when I like the web site for High Sierra it looked nice ??

Bakersfield was just for a break ,before heading off to LV maybe I should look some where else

Again really appreciate the help.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM

Bakersfield was just for a break ,before heading off to LV maybe I should look some where else

Find a campground in the San Gabriel mountains.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM

San Francisco really isn't a motorhome sort of place. The park in Pacifica may be the best you can manage. You certainly can't camp IN the city. Is San Francisco a 'must'.

As for Yosemite - here is the info http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rvcamping.htm
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM

Looks like a fun trip. We used to rent RVs and go tooling around California (usually the north coast and gold country) but haven't done it for several years now. It was always a fun adventure.

If you tweak your itinerary, I agree that you should add a night or two between Pismo and Pacifica. Maybe Big Sur or around the Monterey Bay.

I don't think the Pacifica place is all that inconvenient for seeing San Francisco. I know that place and it's not bad -- right there in town perched on the ocean. The local buses are called SamTrans and there are 2 lines that go to the nearby BART stations (trains into San Francisco). I think there is a stop in front of the RV park, and another at a nearby Safeway shopping center.

Here is some info on those bus routes:
http://www.samtrans.com/schedulesand...ables/110.html
http://www.samtrans.com/schedulesand...ables/112.html

The RV park in Pacifica is your best option for San Francisco I think. The only RV park in SF in Candlestick. Don't do it, just don't do it. (it's tucked away behind a gigantic hideous stadium in one of the roughest parts of the city)

If it wouldn't break the bank for those 3 days, you might consider renting a car to give you a little more freedom for exploring SF & the Bay Area. Enterprise is car rental agency that will pick your up and take you to their agency to get the car. I just googled and it looks like there is and Enterprise just down the street from the RV park, near that Safeway. http://www.yelp.com/biz/enterprise-rent-a-car-pacifica

After SF, if you could work it in, going to Lake Tahoe would be a place you would like. And if you did do that, when you get ready to head south, Hwy 395 down the eastern flank of the Sierras is a spectacular drive. You could still work in Yosemite -- I've heard good things about this place: http://www.yosemitepinesrv.com/

If you keep to your original plan, someplace other than Bakersfield would have to be more interesting. Tehachapi is a small town down that way that wouldn't be a bad place to stay on the way to Las Vegas.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

Here's a previous thread about the Pacifica RV park:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...sportation.cfm
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM

After traveling in RV throughout California---one issue you need to address.--how do you get from where your RV is parked to the "sightseeing" areas? .Parking RV in any city type area can be impossible...If RV is over 20 ft. long,,,Some National Parks have further restrictions..not sure about Yosemite..
There is one place you can park, in S.F. just during day, in Beach parking lot...This beach extends from Cliff House , south to Sloat Blvd...(adjacent to Zoo)
About 1/2 mile south of Cliff House..double parking spaces begin...this area has access to buses that go into Golden Gate Park and into downtown..
You need to check out www.RV.net/forum this site addresses multitude of RV issues..
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM

"Some National Parks have further restrictions..not sure about Yosemite.."

That is all explained in the link I posted above. 35 feet is OK -- but you need to book early because there are limited sites.

<gray>__________________________________________________ ___________</gray>

It is water under the bridge now . . . but you would have had an easier and likely cheaper trip just hiring a car and staying in motels along your same route
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank again for the help, have added a extra day at big surf, have change two days in Yosemite and only 1 day in High Sierra

Will hire a car for two days in SF, and im looking into a RV sites in Tehachapi and thanks for the timetable

The other thing I need to know, is what the best network for mobile phone to use while in california (prepaid) for iphone4s and iPad 2 and do you get good GPS signals ??...
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM

I suspect that the trip would be cheaper and with greater mobility if you were tent camping all the way, staying in motels or hotels in large cities. Sample costs for equipment, as of today, in the Big 5 Sporting Goods store (K-Mart, Target and Sports Authority would offer similar prices): 3-person dome tent--$28, sleeping bag (2 zip together)--$16, queen-sized airbed--$70 (and less expensive one are available). Cooking equipment is similarly priced. I suspect that you could equip yourself for $300 for all four. You would have to rent a van and spend part of a day shopping, and it assumes a willingness to tent camp generally and to set up and break up camp during this trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM

You day it is your first trip to the USA. I don't know if you have already booked something in the Tehachapi area but I have driven through that area and Hwy 15 to Las Vegas. It is remote and desolate. Very windy, hence the wind farms. I found this RV Park 9 miles from Tehachapi and it looks very nice. http://www.indianhillranch.com/frameindex.htm
Good Luck!
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM

ps. forgot to say, there is a minimum of 2 nights on weekends.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Andy,

We own a motorhome but haven't taken it to California - yet. However, I can suggest 2 RV specific websites which have various forums about camping and routes. In the 3 years since we began RVing, we've found the friendly, knowledgeable people at both sites to be an invaluable resource.

www.irv2.com and www.rv.net

Safe travels.