Reload this Page >

Miami Beach and Florida Keys-need hotel help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Mary

We are trying to plan a one week trip the end of April for myself, my husband and 9 year old daughter. Due to free air ticket restrictions we need to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Will probably arrive fairly late. How far is it from FLL airport to Miami Beach? Thinking of 2 nights Miami Beach, 2 nights Key West and 2 nights mid-Keys. We like hotels that are walking distance to restaurants. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg for places. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 09:15 AM
mark

We stayed in Hollywood Beach which was about 40 minutes from FLL. We stayed at the Ramada but would not recommend it mainly because of the valet service which resulted in long delays. The drive from Miami to Key West is about 5 hours but the drive is gorgeous along the overseas highway. We went directly to key west and stayed at a B&B called the Tropical Inn on the main street, Duval. It was inexpensive and the room were very nice. It was within walking distance to all the sites. I'd highly recommend taking the trolley service which is a bus which goes around the isle and lets you get off any any site and then reboard. Your daughter will like Hemingway's house which has dozens of 6 toed cats. Of course, don't miss Mallory Square's sunsets. We went on a sunset cruise which comes with champagne and has a glass bottom hull which allows for great views of the reef. Have fun!

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Patrick

Unless you want to scuba at Pennekamp, do a major fishing excursions, or relax at an expensive resort, there is no reason to stay mid keys. I would go all the way to Key West. Depending on traffic it is a rather boring drive from Miami to Key West of 4 to 5 hours. It is pretty when you go across the causeways or bridges, but between it is nothing but tacky tourist places and mini strip malls. Trust me, nothing to stay a full day for along the way, unless you are doing one of the above activities.

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Anthony

I would agree with the previous post - there is really nothing to see at the the other keys...I would split the trip up either 3days miami 3 Key west, or you can do 1 day Ft Lauderdale, 3 days miami, 2 days key west. Ft lauderdale about 30-40 mins away from Miami. Miami as the most to see/do, so you should spend most of your time there. Key west is very laid back, but small , so not too much too see and do besides relax and shop. Was just At Key West 2 wks ago, stopping on a cruise.

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Michelle

I agree. I'd split your trip maybe 2 days in South Beach (very eclectic and interesting) stopping by Coconut Grove. Great for night-life, but not sure about kids. (Hence the 2 days instead of 3) Be careful at night in Southbeach. It gets lively and fun for adults. I went to the keys (stayed in Islmorada & Marathon) which were two ONLY places I'd stay. Holiday Isle is great for kids, check it out. John Pennecamps was great for snorkeling (in Key Largo, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 day), then on to either middle keys, or Key West. I drove to Key West and spent the day (and one night), and didn't really feel I missed out on anything with that little of time spent there. It's a tough call, but I wouldn't think driving for 3 days of your vacation would be fun! Good luck.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 11:30 PM
maggi

Try the Chesapeake Resort on Islamorada, a good half-way stopping point before you proceed down to Key West. It is not too pricey, has two pools, and a nice white sand beach (rare in the keys). Also a good restaurant within walking distance.