We Love Hawaii, but should we do a Caribbean All Inclusive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked the costs of a Hawaii vacation compared to a Caribbean all inclusive and they come out very close.

When we go to Hawaii, we generally rent a condo. I added in an amount for food and drinks to more fairly compare the costs. I included going out to eat also.

We kinda think, we should do something different than just Hawaii.

I would love to hear from people that have done both.

And as I suspect, many will like both. If so, which Carribbean all inclusive would you recommend.

Thank you.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Why not go to the Caribbean and rent a condo there? I know nothing about all inclusive resorts, would never stay at one.

What are you looking for in a Caribbean island? White sand, blue water, green mountains, hiking, fishing, snorkeling, diving?

The islands are very different. What are you planning on doing with your vacation time?
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My vote is the same as JeanH above. Sure why not branch out? Try somewhere in the Caribbean. I personally like Jamaica very much. Or the Mayan Coast of Mexico. You could go all-inclusive or not. Just because you try out the Caribbean doesn't mean you need to go AI.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of all-inclusive possibilities at Punta Cana, for example.

Having been to both and lived in Hawaii...comparing the two is kinda like comparing apples and oranges...two VERY different regions, two very different bodies of water; but the Caribbean will give you a much, much greater variety of places to go and things to do.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 08:40 AM

I can't speak about the Caribbean from experience but our son has been to both and far prefers Hawaii. He only goes to the Caribbean for their scuba diving.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with JeanH - why not rent a villa or cottage in the Caribbean? We loved St. Croix and St. Lucia.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also not sure why the choice is Hawaii or a Caribbean all-inclusive. Is it that you want to try an all-inclusive to see if you like it or do you think you need to do that in the Caribbean? I've never done an all inclusive but they are more prevalent on some islands than others. Jamaica and the Dominican Republic come to mind immediately.

Also, are you trying to find an island similar to Hawaii (e.g. lush mountainous) or do you want something completely different (flat, white sand, crystal blue water)? Any particular activities you are looking for?
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM

If it was me, I would chose the following, not in any particular order:

Barbados, Jamaica,(both very laid back, think reggae, little beach food stands, etc.) and Cayman Islands (more commercial).

All have condos and homes for rent and a totally different atmosphere from Hawaii. It all depends on what you like to do. We enjoyed Hawaii but had tons of fun on the Caribbean islands.

All have AI resorts as well.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM

I absolutely love the Caribbean coast of Mexico (Mayan Riviera). I prefer AI's as I like the idea that once you get there everything is paid for and you can just relax and enjoy. We also do not confine ourselves to the resort as there are many interesting things to do and wonderful food to eat off the resort as well. I have compared prices and found that Mexico and Dominican Republic seem to have the best value. The majority of Caribbean AI's are in Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica.