Renting a house on Hilton Head Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We rented a house for the end of june next year in the sea pines area(they said it was gated). This is a family vacation with the adult children. Does anyone know what the weather is like that time of year(I know weather can change I mean on the average). Any good restaurants in the mid price range? Also is it possible to make a day trip into Savannah and Charleston?
thank-you
Diane
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM

It will be hot.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM

June is cooler than July or August. From Sea Pines to Savannah is about an hour, maybe 75 min. About 2 to 2 1/2 hours to Charleston.

We have been many times and are going again next week. Lots of good family oriented restaurants. Try www.yelp.com, don't know your price range or taste.

Another small day trip might be to Beaufort, SC about an hour and a half away with historic sights, a waterfront, etc.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM

Yes Sea Pines is gated - as are most of the "Communities" - but as Sea Pines is also used by the general public there is a daily Fee to enter which (I think) was incorporated into my rental. I had to make an initial stop before first check-in to get Pass from an Office I think had office hours which might be worth checking if you were arriving late.

I loved going to Savannah - especially along the back road: "direct" route incorporating freeways very busy. (Locals CONSTANTLY complain about Hilton Head traffic). Back road leads into Savannah by the very beautiful bridge.

I second LBloom's Beaufort suggestion.

Also second LB
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
nlg

We go to HH every year and love it there. You will love Sea Pines-rent bikes for the week and enjoying the bike trails all over the island. Restaurants we like are Sea Shack, Skull Creek Boathouse, Black Marlin, eat, Old Oyster Factory.

If you go to Savannah for the day consider going on the Old Town Trolley tour-you will get a great overview of the city.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM

We go every year and it is a great place to just relax. The Bike trails are great in Sea Pines. We love to eat at Old Fort Pub, The Sunset Grille, and RedFish for our top end restaurants. I am not sure what price range you are looking for as far as food. We love making the drive to Savannah and have stopped in Beaufort for a pleasant detour. We always plan to take the ferry over to Daufuskie and never get around to it - the tour over there is suppposed to be very good. Have a great time.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM

I am sorry, I just noticed you said that you wanted mid-price range. I would recommend Sea Shack and Truffles for lunch. Black Marlin is very good and more mid price range. I would still suggest you splurge and reserve a seat by the windows and go to Old Fort Pub for sunset.....it simple can't be beat.
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you everyone, I'm sorry I did not get back to all of you sooner. We had 2 deaths in our family and time got away from me.

Tenaya, what are the back roads to Savannah? It sounds just what were looking for we love to explore.
My midrange was $20.00 and under. I will look into all the places you mentioned.
How much are the bike rentals it sounds perfect for the kids. I think they wanted to rent a jet ski also for the day.
I was looking into the trolly for savannah the get on and off one.
Thank you for all the good ideas.