I´ll try again to get some help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Mona

We are planning a trip to CA.
There is a lot of bad things about San Fran on this site. So, what are the "god areas" in SF?
Then, is it difficult to drive up the Pacific coast if you are from Europe?
Then, what carrental should we use?
And how much time should we reserv for the trip up from LA to SF?
We only have 3 weeks vacation!!!!
Hoteltips: How does Farmers Daughter in LA sound? And if we decide to stay in SF, how does Cow Hollow sound?
Or should we skip SF and stay in Sausalito or Tiburon? Hoteltips in these areas are welcome too.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:21 AM
arjay

Mona - If you're having trouble getting answers, it's because you need to be more specific in your headline. "Europeans with California Trip Questions" will get you a lot of response, I'm sure. (I think Fodorites are esp eager to aid overseas visitors.)

It's a common mistake for visitors to this forum to think that when they click on "California" for instance, as they make their post....that the question will come up in a "California" section. That's not the case, but it's very confusing to many posters. There is only a general US-wide forum where all queries are posted.

Good luck!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Jen

Mona, why don't you try one more time -- and this time, think up a sensible header. And proofread this time, instead of repeating your request about "GOD" areas.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:23 AM
arjay

Me again, Mona! I sent off the first post, forgetting to tell you that if you do a Search clicking on California, you will bring up many, many past posts, including one that talks about the BEST of San Francisco.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Mona

Thank you both of you!
But I can tell you that it isn´t so easy to first of all WRITE in english and then to get the right words in right places and to get the frases right. NOT easy when you are from Finland. Sorry!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:34 AM
arjay

I figured as much, Mona - and hoped you'd overlook Jen's lack of manners. It's just something that goes with the territory here.....Hope you have some luck!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Mona

Arjay!
Thank you! As you can see I stole your text! Hope you don´t mind?!
And if you sometimes like some help with getting around here in Europe or Scandinavia.........I´ll be there to answer your questions!

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Chris

I am amazed at the rudness on this board towards somebody whose first language isn't English. This is a board about travel, not an SAT English exam or typing test. Unfortunately Mona, I can't answer your question, but hope you won't be discouraged in your search for answers because of someone else's pettiness.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Mona

Chris!
No, I don´t care so much!
We have these kind of people here too!
But thank´s!

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Mike

Mona: sorry for the rudeness of some.
Most people here are quite helpful most of the time.
3 weeks is PLENTY of time to see all you want to see. 1 week to drive the coast between SF and LA is plenty.
What is your budget for hotels and such?
Do you plan to see any of the national parks?
People here are critical of SF partly because it has such a strong reputation as this beautiful, wonderful city and it's hard to live up to that in every way, and because it has slipped a bit during the past 10 years.
But it's still one of the best cities in the USA to visit as a tourist.

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Susan

Hey Mona! I can't exactly help you with LA hotels, someone here named Thyra would have excellent advice if she finds your thread. I can suggest staying in Santa Monica or Hollywood and avoiding staying near the airport. Get a really, really good map if you are doing to do lots of driving in LA.

I'd suggest you make reservations in Yosemite park as soon as you firm up your dates. You can't make them too early! Stay in Yosemite Lodge for the best location, right in the valley. You can make reservations at www.yosemitepark.com.

What else are you interested in seeing? Hearst Castle? Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, wine country?

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Mona

Susan and Mike!
Ok, we are not made of money, so it has to be cheap. Something around 100 $ I think.
Yes, we like parks and so on.
Alcatraz is one place we must see. we didn´t have time to go there the last time we visited. Muirwoods we saw and some areas in Napa.
We will stay the last 5 days in Pacific Grove so Monterey and Carmel will be visited as well.
But the coast is most intresting.
We will not rent a car while we are in LA, only for the drive up the coast.
It´s a little sceary for us.
I mean, how do you drive there. I don´t think it is as easy to drive there as it is to drive here in Finland. Not so many highways here!

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Ivanna No

Mona, I'm going to go out on a limb and state that it's nearly impossible to drive up the Pacific coast if you are from Europe. Not even one of those gas-guzzling SUVs is big enough!

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Native

Mona,

If you don't want to rent a car in Los Angeles, don't go. Public transit in the LA area is pretty much non exsistent. You basically have to drive if you want to go anyplace.

Get a good freeway map........and go. That is what the natives of the area seem to do. You will be going very slowly because of so much traffic. Also, make sure your car is air conditioned so you can drive with the windows up to cut down on the smog as much as possible.

Bring Visine for your eyes.

Bring Aqavite (sp). You have to look hard for it in California.

Native

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:21 PM
ellen

To find the best rate for renting a car, go online and compare the prices at www.orbitz.com. Don't book it there. Then go to the car rental website and book it with them. So, if you like the price of Budget, go to www.budget.com, and rent through them. This way, you can book the car, and you don't have to pay for it all up front, and you can change your number of days for the rental if you like.If you want to be sure of a reliable company, go for Budget, Hertz, Avis or Dollar. Have a great trip!

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:44 PM
kam

Mona, I'm afraid you're going to need to rent a car to enjoy LA. Just remember to give the fast lane over to the natives and to use your turnsignal at all times. Our AAA has an excellent freeway map which will warn you of where you are and when you'll be getting off. There are always ways to turn around and get back on the freeway. Angelinos are actually quite good drivers although very fast and once you put that turn signal on, be prepared to change lanes right away. Don't hestitate. The drive up the coast is lovely. The only hard driving is 90 miles from Cambria to Carmel through Big Sur. If you start in the morning and just take your time (about 3-4 hours including rest stops) you'll do just fine. The city you don't want a car in is San Francisco. And, in recent months there has been a horrible lot of SF bashing---just people feeling grouchy and looking to argue. It's still one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S. and you shouldn't miss it. Turn in your car and enjoy the public transportation. The Cow Hollow area is very nice--lots of young working people (my son lives there), fun shopping and little restaurants. One hotel to look at is Pacific Heights Inn on Union Street. Another might be Hotel Reno in North beach, the old Italian neighborhood which is good walking and safe. Otherwise, there are lots of motel type places on Lombard Street near Van Ness. SF is a pretty small city so getting around is not difficult. Yes, we do have homeless and yes, we wish we didn't, but none of them has ever strangled a tourist! Come and enjoy. Just be city smart as you will be in LA or anywhere in Europe. P.S. I would use the cheapest car rental available and the smallest car you can get and plan 3-4 days to drive from LA to SF, stopping in Santa Barbara, Cambria and then somewhere in Monterey. Welcome to California. Also, never heard of the Farmers Daughter although we used to live in LA. Maybe someone who lives there now knows about it.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:24 PM
geo

If you want to visit L.A. without a car don't be discouraged by other messages here. It's quite possible. I've done it. You will have to limit the places in L.A. you want to see. The last time I was there I took the train from the airport to my downtown hotel. (Actually you have to take a bus from the airport to the nearest train station, but it is fairly convenient - by American, not European, standards.) The rapid transit system goes to many things worth seeing and there is a convenient bus system called, I think DASH, or some acronym like that, that serves downtown and the L.A. County Museum Area.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:33 PM
iloveLA

Sure it's possible to see LA without renting a car, but you will find it terribly inconvenient once you are there without one. Most of the advice is to rent one and with good reason.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Renee

A car really is a good idea in LA. The good news is you can get to many places without using the freeways - unles you want to go to places like Disneyland or Laguna Beach.
Do you have specific sights in mind? LA is huge.
I haven't heard of the Farmer's Daughter either.
Give us a few sights you are interested in going to and we can give you hotel options. Santa Monica or Beverly Hills or West Hollywood are good choices - again easy non-freeway access to many places including The Getty, the beach, Hollywood etc.

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:39 PM
sharon

Mona,
With three weeks in California, make sure you set aside some time to see some of the State's natural wonders. The cities are wonderful, but the nature is breathtaking.

Here is just a start:
Yosemite
Death Valley
Lake Tahoe
Pt. Reyes
Mt. Shasta
Bodega Bay
Mendocino County
The Redwoods (Muir Woods, Humbolt County, etc.)
The Beaches!! (Both the more gentle beaches of Southern CA and the more rugged beaches of Northern CA)

This should get you started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -