How's our Kauai Itinerary look?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family with two children (7 and 10) and my husband's sister who is coming along for a first time visit (We have been to Kauai once before over Christmas break)and who can help watch the girls when necessary.

Day one: Arrive in Kauai around 3:30, shop at Safeway for groceries and Walmart (Is there one in Kapaa or just Lihue?)for beach toys and snorkeling gear. Check into house rental in Princeville, go to Ke'e beach for sunset, eat at Zelos for dinner.

Day two: Bfast in house and then hike as early as possible on the Kalalau trail. Girls may try the hike but if it's too hard for them, my sister-in-law (SIL) can take them back and play on the beach. After hiking, snorkel at Ke'e beach. Bring picnic lunch to eat on the beach. Dinner at Duane's Ono Charburger.

Day three: Breakfast at Kountry Kitchen on way to Kipu Ranch Waterfall ATV tour (includes lunch). Go to Lydgate for playground and snorkeling. (I have heard it's ok to feed the fish here. Is that true? If so, what is ok to feed them?) CoConuts for dinner. Shop at CoConut Marketplace.

Day four: Sunday Brunch at Cafe Hanalei. Then not sure what to do:
#1 International Tahitian Dance competition in Lihue
#2 Kayak on Hanalei River or Kalihiwai River
#3 Slack key guitar concert at Hanalei Community center
Dinner at Bali Hai at sunset.

Day five: Bfast at Hanalei Wakeup Cafe or Zelos. Beach day: Tunnels to snorkel, Kahalahala, Anini, Queen's Bath, Moloa'a Bay(tidepools), Hanalei bay (I know that is probably too many choices but can pick and choose. Which ones would you eliminate if there's not enough time?) Plan to pick up a picnic lunch at Kilauea Bakery, visit lighthouse and shop at Island Soap and Candleworks. Dinner at Bubba's Burgers or Tropical Taco.

Day six: Check out of house rental, eat bfast at Tip Top Cafe in Lihue, and then drop off luggage at Whaler's Cove reception area in Poipu. Poipu Beach day or drive up to top of Waimea Canyon. Lunch at Keoki's Paradise. Go to Kikiaola Harbor to go on boat ride with Napali Explorer from 2:30 to 6:30. Snacks included. Dinner: pick up Brick Oven pizza or eat at Wrangler's Steakhouse or Waimea Brewing Co. Pick up JoJo's Shave Ice.

Day seven: Bfast at Camp House Grill. Husband hopes to do the ultralight flight with Birds in Paradise while we relax at the pool. Eat lunch at Tomkat's Grille. Dinner at Beach House at 6pm. Visit blowhole before dinner.

Last day(flight at 3pm to LAX): Hoping for a late checkout. Bfast at Camphouse Grill, and then beach time (Poipu or Kalapaki) or souvenir shopping in Lihue. Eat lunch at Duke's. Head to airport, plan to be there by 1:00ish.
Any suggestions, please let me know! We are leaving in 32 days!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Also, I want to shop at the store called Jacqueline on Hawaii in Hanapepe and Island Soap and Candleworks in Kilauea. Are there any other local stores that you would recommend? Which photo place would you recommend for getting film developed, Hanalei Photo or Walmart? Should I purchase snorkeling gear at Walmart or rent from Snorkel Bob? If renting, where is Snorkel Bob located? Last question, has anyone explored the Blue Room Cave and found it worthwhile??? I believe someone posted that 10:00 AM is the best time to see it?
Thanks so much (Mahalo!)
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:59 PM

WalMart is in Lihu`e -- exit the airport straight across the highway, turn right at the first signal, turn right again into the WalMart parking lot.

Ke`e Beach sunset -- wear LOTS of mosquito spray.

Ono Charburger closes at 4-5pm -- suggest Sushi 'n Blues for an alternative dinner choice.

Feeding fish -- please don't. Bread & peas and li'dat just stick in their digestive track and slowly kill them (and excessive their poop _really_ clouds up the water).

Lydgate to Coconuts then back to Coconut Marketplace? You might want to just eat at Coconut Marketplace (Hula Girl's is good) or one of the restaurants behind there (Hukilau Lanai gets raves).

After sunday brunch, kayaking up the Kalihiwai River would be my suggestion. Lots to see, and a great beach to hang out at afterwards. There's also polo at Anini Beach every Sunday at 3PM. Park at the beach park and watch the event for free from the fence, or pay the nominal fee and watch from your car, inside the gate.

Breakfast Monday -- highly recommend WakeUp Cafe (bring your appetites!).
Makua (Tunnels) has nice snorkeling, but Anini is easier to access, and is usually far less crowded.

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Sounds like a great itinerary. We are on island 7/28 to 8/10 so we will probably bump into you somewhere and not know it. If you are staying in Princeville, I would recommend Peddle and Paddle in Hanalei for your gear rental. We always rent there and have had no problems. I suggest Photo Spectrum in Lihue for your developing. They do great work. I don't think Zelo's is open for breakfast...it is our favorite for lunch while in the north however. I would definitely opt for Tropical Taco over Bubba's anytime.
Don't forget to allow yourself time to relax.........it is a vacation afterall! Have fun, Harry
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Too much structure for me on where you are going to eat each meal. Try winging it.

We met some locals when we arrived in Hanalei over drinks while we were waiting to check into our studio. They did not have good things to say about Zelos -- something about things in the kitchen. My wife wouldn't even go there for drinks.

Postcards was excellent. It's vegetarian except for the fish dishes. It was quite good -- I was surprised.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM

The itinerary looks good, but where do me and the mr fit into your luggage...seems you left that part out!
Fun!!!!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:55 PM

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip. You've got a pretty detailed itinerary already. As far as your beach day, it probably is too much to fit in. Why not move one or two of the beaches to day four? You could do an early morning trip to Queen's Bath on day four, then shower up before brunch. Then do a kayak tour and mayber check out Anini in the afternoon. Makua (Tunnels) is a great snorkeling spot, although parking can be a hassle. If the pullout is full you can park at Haena and walk there. I enjoyed Anini more than Makua because Anini was nearly always deserted. The access to the beach is right off the road and parking was never a problem. Plus Anini was very calm, kind of like having a big beautiful salt water bath all to yourself. Queen's Bath was a real treat, although the water level was a little low when we were there. Still loads of fish though. Be careful on the hike down the slope can be very slippery, and the lava rocks are very sharp.

You'll love the Kipu Ranch tour, it was the highlight of our trip. The guides were wonderful and very patient with first-timers.

One last thing, if traffic is bad it may be difficult for you to make sunset at Ke'e your first night. Consider watching sunset from the lawn area next to the Princeville resort instead. You'll get some great photos.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Ono Charburger will have to be changed to a lunchtime. We are big burger lovers and have heard great things about this restaurant. Do you agree?

Is Coconuts restaurant close to the Coconut marketplace? How far is Lydgate from either of those places?

We will try Tropical Toco instead of Bubba's. Thanks, gr8yt for your help in that area! I hope you enjoy your trip too!

Budman, the reason for the restaurant research is because we have picky eaters for kids! Also, I would rather have a few highly recommended suggestions ready ahead of time (with food that my girls will eat)in each area of the island instead of just winging it and being unhappy with mediocre food or bad service.

We have been to Zelos before and can't wait to return! Great Hawaiian feel to the place and love the Grasshopper Pie!

annahead, I like your suggestion about going to Anini Beach a day early and possibly Queen's Bath in the AM before brunch.

We have gone on the Kipu Ranch ATV tour before and LOVED it! Can't wait to do it again, this time with the waterfall!

Can anyone recommend something to order at Bali Hai?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM
iceeu2

Hey Ashley, on the day we had Ono-Char Burgers, we took the advice of The Blue Book and took our food down to Anahola Beach Park. They have lots of picnic tables. And yes, the burgers were good, but honestly, I think the burgers at Bubba's (in Kapaa) are just as good.

Snorkel Bob's has 2 locations on Kauai..one is just past the Coconut Market Place in Kapaa and the other is in Koloa, on Poipu Beach Road. Plus, you can get just the regular gear from them or the custom fitted gear. They close around 5 ish everyday. Also, if you are planning to snorkel on The Big Island and want to lug the snorkel stuff with you, you can rent it from them there and return it to them on Kauai. Their website is snorkelbob.com and should give you all of the info you need.

Also, if you are into mustards and sauces, etc. stop at Aunty Lilikoi's in Waimea..just down the street a little and on the other side from JoJo's. She will ship it home for you so you will have more room in your extra tote for the other souvenirs.

Have fun! Be sure to keep us posted on the scavenger hunt! Sounds like great fun for the kids.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:46 AM

i2,

I'm wondering if one can buy Auntie Lilikoi products anywhere else on the island.

-Bill
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:10 AM
iceeu2

Oh, yes, Bill, you can buy Aunty Liliko stuff all over....but, it is more expensive. But what's a few more dollars to the rich folks like you.

The grocery stores have it, Walmart has it, Long's has it, the ABC stores..and it's at the airport as well.

Will you and Ashley be there at the same time?

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I think our trips overlap. I am going to the Big Island first and then arriving in Kauai on Aug. 4th for a week. Bill is beginning his vacation before me and going straight to Kauai, right Bill??? 31 days for me!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:23 AM

i2,

Thanks. Ya know, I think I'll have my personal travel valet drive over and get me some her sauce, bring it back to our beachfront estate in Haena and spoon feed it to me as I sit on the lanai while my other valet fans me with a palm frond. Ah..the good life.

I think Ashley and her brood will be there when we are there. That true Ashley? We are there from July 26 to August 9.

Maybe you could add me to your scavenger hunt list and we could prearrange a "sighting"? Could be fun. Let me know.

-Bill
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:38 AM

I had the Wahoo for dinner at Bali Hai, which was excellent. Their lava flows are still the best I've ever had.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM
iceeu2

You know, Billy, it really isn't nice to make me #39;( while I read this post.
Ashley, I think it's a great idea to put, Billy, the > on your scavenger hunt!

i'2 is amp;

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:48 AM

i2,
Shouldn't you be working right now?

-Bill >
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Bill,
I think you might scare my young precious children and ruin our long-awaited vacation! Seeing a teacher on vacation is quite scarey, you know! A devilish teacher, at that!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Kal

<ahem>

I HATE ALL OF YOU!!!
182 mo' days!!!!

Ashley,
Here's what we do to insure a good trip to Kauai:
1: Land.
2: Throw away list.

Scavenger hunt on Kauai!?!?!
:-?
Kal's stick?
Kal's barstool?
Necklace/bracelets by Chanelie di Kauai?

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Hey Kal!
I also find all this pre-trip banter annoying >. It's a good thing I have only 27 more days to put up with it!

BTW..should I bring my hiking boots...

-Bill
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Kal

Bill,
Yep...countdowns, like rain on the north shore are very annoying.

Why bring hiking boots?....it will rain all the time.

BTW, you ever find out where Hot Rocket is? Ching Young Village in Hanalei.
Good stuff and the owner is a funny guy if you get him on a good day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -