2 days in Savannah, what is a must?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending Thanksgiving in Fernandina beach, so decided to drive to Savannah for Friday and Saturday.I did not have much time to research, so feel unprepared.I have read some about the crime in certain areas, but have no idea where that might be. We have resrvations at the Confederate House.Does anyone know anything about it? Can someone please suggest what are absolute "must see" sites. Any ideas on Restaurants, that are small and specialize in fish, seafood-or vegetarian?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:21 AM

One eyed Lizzie on River street.Take the shuttle.Paul
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:33 AM

You must visit Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room <http://www.mrswilkes.com/> for lunch. They feature outstanding home southern cooking and is a local institution of considerable fame. Previous patrons have included Robert Duval, Kate Smith and Gregory Peck.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM

Take a look at this site of the Historic District. The Confrederate House is near the bottom of the map on Drayton street near E. Huntinton.

http://savannahgetaways.net/map.cfm

It's not in the best location. You would not want to wander around at night. Go to the Visitor's Center on Martin Luthur Blvd (over on the left of the map) park, and get on one of the tours. That's your best bet for seeing the most of the city in a hurry. Then, later, you can drive or walk to see other things.

The entire Historic District is what is the thing to see. There are house museums, etc. all throughout the area.

Go from the Confrederate House over to Bull Street and go North to Bay and the River. That will be a little over a mile. There are a lot of restaurants along the way and on River Street.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM

If you're a fan of Paul Deen's, don't miss her restaurant, Lady & Sons, 311 W. Congress (one block south of the City Market), it's also southern cooking, great food, and she even autographed a copy of her cookbook for us.

We went over MLK weekend in 02 . . . I typed up my travelog and would be happy to email it if you want . . . just drop me a line at [email protected].

We had a wonderful time and hope you do, too.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM

My husband and I love the Pink House Restaurant. And my father in law went there last week and also enjoyed it very much.