Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Here's an interesting question for you! Know any interesting, bizarre or decrepit sights in Massachusetts to do some cutting edge photography?

Search

Here's an interesting question for you! Know any interesting, bizarre or decrepit sights in Massachusetts to do some cutting edge photography?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone who is interested in persuing a photography career and they are working on a portfolio. I said I would help think of some sights around here for this person to do some photography, perhaps with a model, perhaps not, of some places in Massachusetts which would be a bit unusual, yet safe enough to walk around in. This person enjoys photographing odd or abandoned places. I'm thinking abandoned Amusement Parks, Junkyards, Decrepit Buildings, Perhaps even construction or manufacturing sights where there might be interesting things piled up or around the place - things not ordinarily looked at twice but perhaps with a model and some interesting perspective and lighting, could make for an interesting picture. I wonder if there are any places in MA that anyone can suggest to this student of photography? My main concern is safety, yet I wonder, where could they go which would be different and intriguing? Not the ordinary pretty park or butterly museum. Do amusement parks, closed for the season, allow visitors in for the purpose of photography, I wonder? THank you for your thoughts on this!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Not really abandoned, and time is sort of running out, but the off season on Cape Cod has a wonderful quiet, eerie feeling in places at times. There are old railroad yards in Hyannis, seasonal hotels in the Outer Cape etc that haven't opened up yet (like I said though...thime is running out)

There used to be an old abandoned drive in in Dennis (off Route 134) that still had it's huge screen up and an abandoned parking lot a few years back....not sure if it's still there, or if it's been torn down/developed.

Either way, with a good eye, the Cape can have some interesting stuff....plus, there still is the usual pretty natural beauty you cana still take pictures of....even if they don't really want that sort of thing right now....

just a thought.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM

The only drive-in left on the Cape is just over the Eastham line in Wellfleet.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM

hey gomiki, weigh in on this if you disagree, but I am thinking about the dune shacks on the National seashore. in the right light they are almost a sureal collection of the past. I'm just not sure how he would get there other than a lot of walking...would Art's dune tours do a special trip for them????
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM

does Ted Kennedy count? Sorry, couldn't resist writing my first thoughtquot;>
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM

what about all those shack/cabins just south of Provincetown?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Hi Seafox! The shacks are an idea. I have a great place but I don't know how they would get there. There are wonderful shacks on the Outer Beach in Orleans. Five of them have just been moved to safety and three have been lost this winter/spring to the storms and waves.

You need a four wheel drive vehicle and a permit. The area looks like a moonscape as you first go out because the ocean has blown through the dunes. Then you see the cottages sprinkled in the dunes.

The cottages before P-town are Days cottages and are actually in Truro. They are an iconic image. Once painted by Edward Hopper.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

WOW! So many replies in such a short time!
I am loving the Provincetown ideas.. and the shacks... cool! Let's keep them coming, and I'll have them keep checking this post! Awesome! They're from the area of Western Massachusetts... near Springfield... or Northampton area, for an idea of how long it'd take them to make a road trip. Thanks again.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM

I'll post back tomorrow. Someone sent me pix of an old mental institution in western MA. Maybe you know which one I mean. I have it at work. I saw exterior as well as interior pix. Now that was frightening!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Have they torn down the old Whalom Park in Fitchburg yet? it was abandoned for a long time, and I have a feeling they tore down the roller coaster a couple years ago, but not sure.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
OO

gomiki...I think you probably mean Northampton State Mental Hospital in Belchertown. http://tinyurl.com/68aa8m scroll down to it.

I don't know if it is still there, but I'll tell you it was as creepy on the inside as it was on the out. I was a psych major at UMass and we had a field trip there. It wasn't any place I'd ever put a loved one for sure!!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Northampton State Hospital is still there, abandoned. They are taking it down, slowly. I think visits will have to be "unofficial."

Generally, old river towns will have abandoned factories and mills.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:54 AM

You can go to the bookstore and get a book called Weird Massachusetts, which is a sort of guidebook to oddball places in the state. Many of them are weirdly photogenic.

Wasn't there just recently an old shipwreck uncovered on one of the cape beaches? Wellfleet or Truro maybe?

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:23 AM

The bones of an old barge were washed onto the outer beach in wellfleet this winter. As far as I know, they are still there to see. Go to www.capecodonline.com to find the article about it...probably in Feb.

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM

On the road from Newburyport to Plum Island, there is an old weathered shed with a large aging sign on it that reads "NO ESCAPE POSSIBLE". The sign is a protest over the nuclear power plant in Seabrook and the lack of an effective evacuation route off Plum Island. It sits on the edge of a salt marsh. I've always thought that it was eerie. But if your friends are going to do it they have to come quick because the town is threatening to tear it down in the next month.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM

This may be too traditional, but this is my favorite photographer-he has a studio in Rockport. May give you some ideas.

http://www.rlerchgallery.com/

I find his work thought provoking, peaceful and very moving. Check it out -- good luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM

The place I mentioned earlier is actually Worcester State Hospital. Martin Scorsese wanted to shoot the latest Dennis Lehane movie, "Shutter Island" there but it is scheduled to be torn down.

Tell your friend to go to www.opacity.com to see him/her fill of urban ruins.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Some of my favorite pictures I took while in Mass was of those old tombstones in places like Salem and Marblehead that that the bas-relief of skulls and even ribcages on them.... they were usually from the early 1700's and most were leaning one way or the other.... freaky weird.....

Keith
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On a trip up the coast NH and Maine year ago we found some great photo ops in a huge old antique store (a big barn of a place) and one beach hotel that was all but empty (this was off season) and we shot in various bedrooms.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, sorry I missed the Massachusetts part!!!

How about Skinner Park outside Hadley, it's an abandoned old hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -