Reload this Page >

Grand Teton what airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Russ Buhite

We will be flying to The Grand Teton area and staying at Signal Mountain Lodge next June 1, 2002. There seem to be many options as to what airport to fly into. My wife is scared of flying to the Jackson Hole airport because she has heard that pilots believe that it is one of the most dangerous and difficult to fly into. Is this true? I know that Delta also flies to Bozeman, Cody, Idaho Falls, West Yellowstone, and a few other places a bit farther away. Any advice? Traveling on June 1 are any of the other airports listed going to give us travel problems relating to snow or high traffic driving to Teton Village area?
Russ

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:53 AM
J T Kirk

I say fly into Jackson airport. I find it more convenient. Yes, it has a reputation for being a "tough" landing spot (short runway, quick descent), but the pilots who fly in there know the lay of the land, so to speak. Also, in June you won't have to worry about the weather being as big a factor as in the winter. I've had some bumpy flights in, but heck, that just adds to the thrill of the vacation.

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Howard

I totally agree JT Kirk. Fly into Jackson! And, don't let his "bumpy flights" comment scare you!

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Sal

Russ,
I would never fly into Jackson. Let me qualify that I'm a white-knuckle, wake me up when we get there flyer. The tarmac is known to be short for the size jets that land there. I would fly into one of the other areas you have mentioned. You might want to include Idaho falls on the list of possibilities. If your wife already feels this way, she might agree to fly in there, but she probably won't want to fly out of there once she sees the proximity of the Tetons to the airport!

BTW, you'll love Signal Mountain Lodge. The sunsets on the lake are gorgeous. Word of advice, bring bug repellant. A citronella candle for sunset watching is a good idea too. That's mosquito season and they grow big out there.

Have a great time.

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:22 AM
elaine

I am a white knuckle flyer but agree with JT and Howard. Fly into Jackson airport, if possible. The Tetons are so mangificent a pity to waste time driving hundred of miles when you could actually be there!