Search

New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans

Starting my retirement next year with a trip out west. Will be going through New Orleans one night. What is one hotel, one restaurant that will give us the best New Orleans experience? Also, were to go for Zydeco music? Thanks
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:38 AM

First, I would add a night and send a day with the WWII museum. That museum was one of the best I have ever visited. If you have any interest at all in WWII history, there it is an absolutely must see.
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:54 AM

Commander's Palace is my absolute favorite NOLA restaurant. I have a meal there on every visit and I *always* make sure to order the shrimp and tasso henican appetizer and strawberry shortcake for dessert. I'd recommend making reservations. If you arrive early, walk through the cemetery across the street or wander the neighborhood. The homes there really embody New Orleans to me.
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Yes, if you can manage more than 1 night in New Orleans, do it You won't regret that choice.

Commanders Palace is a good choice for dinner, but it is more formal (men should wear a jacket at dinner), so you may or may not be packing those types of clothes for your trip.

If I only had 1 night, I would stay in the French Quarter. Place d Arms hotel is very well located and has great New Orleans atmosphere. Other good choices are Hotel Richleiu, Villa Convento, Chateau Le Moyne, and Hotel Provencial. All have great New Orleans charm and parking.

For dinner, if you want something nice, but a little more casual, you can't go wrong with Muriels just off Jackson Square. Excellent food, great atmosphere. For men, nice jeans or slacks and a collared shirt is fine. Other choices for dinner - I really like Kingfish and Trinity. For even more casual choices - Gumbo Shop and Napoleon House are solid choices - you can wear shorts and a t-shirt there if you want.

For Zydeco, I think Rock N Bowl is the place to go: http://www.rocknbowl.com/events/cate...deco-Swamp-Pop There will be other places in New Orleans with zydeco, but I think these guys have Zydeco most often.
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:49 AM

I love the Rock n Bowl, it's really something to experience, IMO! And second Commanders Palace. It's been ages since I've been, but we have friends who go once a year and swear by it. Is it really true you need a jacket? I remember it as being very nice, but I don't think everyone was quite that dressed up.
Old May 30th, 2017, 12:09 PM

When we were there in 2010, word was they were relaxing their "jackets required" standard, so I imagine by now there is no such requirement.
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:06 PM

Commanders doesn't require a jacket - that's why I said men should wear a jacket not that they must Their web site says that the dress code is business attire and that a jacket is preferred.
Old May 31st, 2017, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I think Place d Arms and Commanders Palace will do just fine.
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:05 AM

Frenchman Street over Bourbon Street

Commanders Palace is great as is Gumbo Shop.

Cafe du Monde is fine for the beignets although some places have as good of ones but the people watching and location are great so it is our choice

Ruby slippers and mothers along with Deanies for some BBQ shimp

Felix over Acme for ostyers

WW2 museum is one of the best around. Currently having rotation of Nazi propoganda and I didn't spend enough time last month while there

cochon Butcher was near the museum and unbelievable

Parking can be pricey but if you are a gambler. 30 mins of play at various games (we choose poker) will give you 24 hours of parking. We were there for three nights and didn't pay for parking because of this.

That would easily save you enough money for a plantation or swamp tour as you leave NOLA
Old May 31st, 2017, 11:39 AM

Did we talk you into spending 2 nights in New Orleans yet?

Since Commanders Palace is in the Garden District, a few miles from the French Quarter, where you will be staying, you can take the iconic St. Charles streetcar uptown to the restaurant and then walk a couple blocks. Riding the streetcar is an attraction all on its own - it is rather slow though, so make sure you plan enough time. After dinner, if you don't want to take the streetcar, you can just grab a cab or use Uber.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 06:45 AM

If you are on a driving trip, there might be places for zydeco other than New Orleans...which way are you headed?

I could eat every meal at Felix's and be happy!! And do not forget Luke's happy hour for oysters. And Kenton's!!

Do you know about Fred's Lounge in Mamou?

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/c...al-cajun-deal/
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Passing through New Orleans heading to Big Bend National Park and ultimately to Sedona, AZ where we have rented a house for the month of February. So, I thought it would be a good time to go. No bucket list type of thing, more of a you should go to the Indianapolis 500 or Kentucky Derby once in your life type of thing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 02:09 AM

So make a stop in the Cajun area around Lafayette west of New Orleans, and be sure not to miss Fred's Lounge on Saturday morning.