Search

Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, and in between

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, and in between

Hello

I may be spending the week of Labor Day in Erie.

On the above corridor - Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo - what have you enjoyed visiting or doing? Anything unique or historical or just local fun (or food) to seek out?

I figure I can do day trips here and there, perhaps even an overnight.

I already know about the Rock n Roll museum, my Mom and I visited it a few years ago. Chautauqua is closed for the season although I could visit the town. I won't be going as far as Toledo/Cedar Point.

I actually have never visited Buffalo and I understand there is at least one Frank Lloyd Wright home there.

On my drive up I will likely stop off in Pittsburgh on either leg to spend time with some friends.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 06:04 AM

It's a short jog on Rt86 to Jamestown, NY and the new National Comedy Museum... along with the Lucy/Desi Museum, you can see artifacts and samples of Comedy Greats ...
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 07:15 AM

Hi

All I have is a few suggestions if you decide to linger in Cleveland. The Cleveland Museum of Art is great and if you’ll be in that University Circle area, I’d recommend maybe strolling the lovely Case Western campus, stopping at a bakery in Little Italy and checking out the Lakeview Cemetery. The James A. Garfield mausoleum there is tall with a gold dome and intricate detail (perhaps surprising for a less-known president) and the view you get from up high here of Lake Erie and surroundings was terrific.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 08:11 AM

Couple ideas--

Nelson-kennedy Ledges park has amazing (for Ohio) rock formations

tour some of the covered bridges northeastern Ohio

if you drive north from Pittsburg you will be in a different more hilly terrain.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 09:31 AM

I live in Erie and frequently go over to Bemus Point on Chautauqua Lake to have lunch (Ellicottville Brewing Co has good food), look around the shops & hang out on the porch of the historic Hotel Lenhart in the rocking chairs. They used to have a floating stage with concerts, but they moved that up to Mayville-not far at all from the Chautauqua Institution. Check out www.chautauqualakepops.com to see the schedule. There are a lot of wineries in the area you could visit all over Ohio and PA up to NY, and craft breweries & distilleries, if that is of any interest to you. Check out these links: www.lakeeriealetrail.com, www.lakeeriewinecountry.org.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:25 PM

Buffalo is definitely worth a few days. There are two Frank Lloyd Wright properties which are the Darwin Martin House and Graycliff. Also great architecture throughout the city and wonderful restaurants.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

I'm thinking either Buffalo or Jamestown, to see the new comedy museum.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaF
I live in Erie and frequently go over to Bemus Point on Chautauqua Lake to have lunch (Ellicottville Brewing Co has good food), look around the shops & hang out on the porch of the historic Hotel Lenhart in the rocking chairs. They used to have a floating stage with concerts, but they moved that up to Mayville-not far at all from the Chautauqua Institution. Check out www.chautauqualakepops.com to see the schedule. There are a lot of wineries in the area you could visit all over Ohio and PA up to NY, and craft breweries & distilleries, if that is of any interest to you. Check out these links: www.lakeeriealetrail.com, www.lakeeriewinecountry.org.
good tip, maybe I can fit this in to my Jamestown day.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 05:03 AM

Buffalo: Albright-Knox gallery, Niagara Falls side trip
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Buffalo is near Niagara Falls. Being your passports so you go to the Canadian side too.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 11:18 AM

​​​​​I haven’t been yet, but I hear great things about the comedy museum. Also in the area are the two Lucy statues, the Scary Lucy and it’s “replacement” Lovely Lucy in her hometown of Celeron, just a few minutes away from Jamestown. I have seen them!