Going to NYC for 1st leg of Honeymoon and don't know the first thing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I will be flying to NY (from SF) the day after our wedding for a 2 or 3 night stay before we head off to Europe. I've never been to NYC and don't know where to begin planning our 3 or 4 day trip. Any suggestions would be helpful. Places to sleep ($200-$400 range) eat, play, shop, sightsee. Anything. I want this to be relaxing, but very exciting. Any must see Broadway shows?
Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:14 PM

Sure, I'll try to help! I hate to ask, but how old are you guys? That would totally factor in to what part of town you'll want to stay in. You can definitely find a hotel room in NYC for under $200 but just don't expect it to be anything fancy!

My first thought is the Washington Square Hotel in the Greenwich Village. I never stay in hotels in NYC (I stay w/ friends) but I recall hearing it's reasonable and it's WONDERFULLY located, really central to so much.

I'd definitely recommend hitting the Met. No matter what exhibits are going on, it's always worthwhile. Especially check out the Egyptian wing.

And make sure to have dessert one night at Serendipity (upper east side). They have a concoction called a frozen hot chocolate that's out of this world!

And check out the late night view from the Empire State Bldg., very romantic!

I highly recommend AGAINST any of the usual touristy crap - boat rides around Manhattan (painfully long and boring), Ellis Island (ditto), etc. Literally, just wandering and getting "lost" in the city is a treat in and of itself...

Have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:26 PM

Hilaryg, I finally got to Serendipity a few weeks ago to experience one of those famous frozen hot chocolates. It was a thick chocolate milk shake served in wide sundae dish. It was very good, just like any really good thick milkshake made with quality products. I've had probably a couple dozen in my time that were similar -- and I don't often do milkshakes. What am I missing? I was expecting something more than a milkshake.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:28 PM

By the way, I also had a bowl of chili with onions and cheese. That was wonderful!!! And I nearly drooled on the BLT concoction at the table next to me.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:10 PM

When are you coming to NY? That'll make a difference in the recommendations.
(Ellis Island boring????????)
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM

The best areas to stay would be either Midtown East or Midtown West.

I definitely would recommend a Grayline bus tour. If you only have time for one, I would do the Lower Manhattan loop. I have never heard of anyone saying that Ellis Island is boring. I have been there 3 times and enjoyed each visit. You can purchase Sattue of Liberty/Ellis Island and Empire State Building tour tickets when you but the Grayline ticket.

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

http://graylinenewyork.com/
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:58 PM

Hilary, hon pay attention. CEDS said the range for the hotel was $200-$400, NOT under $200. Not to mention it's their honeymoon, so chances are they want something somewhat romantic.

You can check into (bear in mind I live here and thus haven't been in many of the hotels other than for events) the Marriott Marquis, the Renaissance Times Square, the Omni Berkshire, the Millenium which would all have rates in your range depending on what your dates are. Also check into these hotels which were just brought to my attention: Bentley Hotel, Metro Hotel, Time Hotel, Paramount Hotel, Hotel Wales, Fitzpatrick, Manhattan Club, and the Kitano.

As for restaurants with a romantic atmosphere, I've heard the Water Club, River Cafe among others, there should plenty of threads on this subject, although I will agree with Serendipity on the dessert side.

For Broadway shows, it depends on your taste. There's Chicago, the Producers, Mamma Mia, 42nd Street, it's just a matter of what you're looking for.
For sightseeing, the Empire State Bldg is a must, even if its always crowded. Better to check it at dusk or night than in the daytime. Times Square, of course (although I believe it's charm wears off after 5 minutes) and a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge which can include great pizza at Grimaldi's, the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory and a walk along the Promenade to see the skyline.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:06 PM

I agree with the grayline tour.

There are some great restaurants in Little Italy on Mulberry Street. IL Cortile is excellent. Of course there are many others as well.

A walk through Central Park is very nice. I also would suggest a carriage ride in Midtown. The carriages are usually parked around Central Park South.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Rob

Missjanna: Am I missing something with regard to the Lake, Guarto replies in this thread. They may be from the same person but both offer sound advice. What is the problem?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Because you have a little room on your price, I recommend the W Union Square. It's very cool in a great neighborhood. Starwood has all kind of discounts (gov't rate, AAA, etc) that may be applicable. Union Square is close enough to Chelsea, the Village, and easy public transportation uptown to the museums, the park. There are also tons great restaurants in the area. I don't recommend a bus tour unless it's freezing or raining. Buy a guidebook, learn the subway and walk around.

A huge benefit of the Union Square neighborhood is that it's a neighborhood; you will see where people live and eat.

A cheaper option which is akin to a smaller European property is the Russell, located in Gramercy Park. Also a wonderful neighborhood with easy public transportation options. There are two other Ws in Gramercy Park as well.

I don't recommend the Times Square area to stay as it just a little crazy (meaning loud) and very touristy. I do recommend visiting Times Square though.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:54 AM

I agree that Times Sq is not the best place to stay (especially for newlyweds), and only worth a visit (which would not take up much time). I'd recommend a nice hotel away from the midtown hustle and bustle. Maybe the Union Sq W or Soho Grand. The Union Sq/Grammercy/Village/Soho/Tribeca areas are great places to wander around, shop, eat and explore. The selection of restaurants in food variety, price range and quality is enormous. Transportation to other parts of Manhattan is very accessible. As far as theater goes, do you prefer drama, musical or comedy. Check playbill.com to get an idea of what's available.

It sounds like a great trip!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:08 AM

just a comment regarding 'touristy crap', I've been living in Manhattan for 18 years, before that queens and LI. I hadn't taken a circle line cuise is probably 20 or so years. Last year we had some out of town visiters (in unbearable August heat). We took the mid-length cruise. I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. The tour kind pointed out things that I knew nothing about. His comments at we passed the WTC area, were moving and well thought out. If you are visiting in the winter months, it may be too cold to enjoy a boat ride, but on a nice sunny day, it's a great way to see manhattan from a different perspective. I'm not saying that this is a must-do with only 3 days of site-seeing, but it certainly is a nice way to spend a few hours, if time allows.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your reccomendations. We WILL be 25 and 33 and will be arriving August 7th (I like to plan ahead).
So Union Square seems to be the place to stay. I had checked out the W in Times Square so i will definately check out the one in Union Square.
Can anyone think of a hotel with a balcony, lots of windows and a great view? Something modern?
Would a carraige ride through central park be something we should do?
Any good comedy shows? My fiancee isnt much into Broadway, and I would like to find something to suit his tastes.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I don't know about hotels with good balconies, but many of the smaller boutique hotels are modern. Good views are probably best with the upper floors. Maybe if you call the hotels directly, tell them it's your honeymoon and request a view, they'll accommodate. The W chain is also very slick and modern. I think the Union Sq W is MUCH nicer than the times sq W. There's also another very trendy hotel on SOho, ?? Thompson (the name is the address, I can't remember the #).
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Of the ones I mentioned, I beliebe the Kitano has balconies and looked very romantic. Not sure about the others. You may also want to check into some of the hotels that are mainly suites.

I work a few blocks from the W Union Square and it is in a really good location, great restaurants a few blocks north on Park Ave. South, (Sushi Samba is one I can remember off hand) and you are one block from a main train station. I've been meaning to stop in there to check it out, maybe I'll do that later at lunch. LOL
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:29 AM

I can't think of even one NYC hotel that offers balconies. Hmmm....

And definitely do not stay in Times Square, particularly if you're not spending evenings at Broadway shows.

The W Union Square is a good choice, but I'd probably suggest one of the classic midtown hotels for a honeymoon, such as the Plaza or the Waldorf. Timeless. When you celebrate your 20th anniversary, you can return -- other hotels very well may be gone by then.

Everything is easily accessible from the midtown hotels.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gekko, but we really are looking for modern on this trip. We will be heading off for Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels and Germany with stays in old Palaces and a castle so we want to experience a little something different in a modern city atmosphere Best of both worlds. But we also want romance and style.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:14 AM

In terms of broadway plays - I highly recommend Aida and Lion King (since they are disney shows - they very grand and beautiful). And since there is a few months waiting list - you might want to research it and get tix soon!

Some other fun things:
-Walk around Rockefeller center
-Maybe catch a conan or letterman show - can send out for tix in advance
-Walk along 5th avenue and window shop - eat at fine restaurants in the area
-if you feel like heading to the Bronx - the Bronx zoo is a lot of fun!
-I personally like Natural History Museum(not an art appreciation type of person)
- Take the dinner cruise of "the spirit of NY"
-I totally recommend the horse carriage rides
-South Street Seaport (in the summer if amazing)
-see if there are any games(if your fiance is into sports) at the Madison Square Garden to catch
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:34 AM

CEDS,
Here is my suggestion: Check out the Hotel InterContinental Central Park South. Make sure you get a room 14th floor or above with a Park View. Very romantic. Dinner - Gramercy Tavern. Breakfast/brunch - Norma's (in Le Meridian.) If you're there on a Mon. night - make sure you catch Les Paul at Iridium Jazz Club. Is Bobby Short still at the Carlyle? You'll love it!
JoeG
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Okay, I'm with you CEDS. Modern, but with romance & style. My top two picks for your honeymoon would be the SoHo Grand or the Tribeca Grand, followed closely by the W Union Square and then many other "boutique" hotels.

(Note that in NYC, as a general rule, "boutique" is code for "tiny rooms.")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -