Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fodorites' convention? -- Your friends on Fodor's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two questions that popped into my head:

Has there ever been a Fodorites' convention?

Do you have any personal friends on Fodor's, as in face-to-face friends, that you knew before registering on Fodor's, or have met since?

Donna
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM
jetset1

Donna~ Seems like some groups have gotten together, as noted from older posts... although I haven't yet met anyone in person, I would be willing to travel to a nice destination for that purpose.
I was trying to picture what the first convention might be like.. not to be inciting another "war of the words" riot, but in the spirit of humor, do you suppose there would be people asking for upgrades in the "resort", picked after months of debate over best beach, pool temp, happy hour values, non- necessity of rental car, family friendly, kid free, Mensa members only(no misspelled words puh..lease), oh, and everyone attending quite pleased that they had all pertinent seat space to themselves, no spillage from seatmates!
Of course, all flights left on time, perfect weather, flight attendants beyond reproach, and congratulations- we have a multimillionaire in attendance who issued everyone a voucher for a free trip anywhere in the world. OK, I've had my fun on a rainy Sunday! J.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:56 AM
bonniebroad

And would there be people wearing sandals with socks??? OMG! Probably......

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:01 AM
jetset1

Yes Bonnie! I'm amazed sometimes at how often people neglect their feet, so maybe they should keep them covered at times, though not with the black socks,lol.
This is coming from one who married a man with toes long enough to use as skis(the rest of his family has the same condition). J.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM
bonniebroad

Actually, people who wear socks with their sandals are often doing other people a favor.... I've somewhat got those ski-toes, too, which run in my family, and I might ought to put some socks on!

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Do you know what happens when you live in hot, humid Texas, and you wear sandals without socks?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:43 AM

There have been a number of local/regional get togethers (GTG if you do a text search you'll find posts).

I think a number of people have become friends from the board. I know there are a few relatives (Father/daughter etc.)who post or have posted.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I have some face-to-face FodorFriends and a few PhoneFodorFriends
My daughter is a Fodorite.
There are some that I would Looooove to meet There are some that I would loooove NOT to meet but I would be interested in seeing what someone that mean spirited looks like (evil grin)
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:58 AM
bonniebroad

Scarlett, it's so funny! I know you're from New York but when I read your posts, I think of this warm, wacky sometimes, who-gives-a-hoot, Dolly Parton-type (personality)! It must be the "Scarlett!" (And you're one of the ones I'd love to have lunch with! )

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Thank you bonnie ~

Although I must admit that I do not resemble Dolly Parton in any way LOL

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Gee, I don't know if I can handle all those vibes in one room..
Scarlett says if I wear Black, I'll be Ok. ...Hi, PUP!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Hi Cigale~ Pups says hello to you and Misha ((&))
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM
jetset1

Here's a bonus that I thought of re the convention:
People might actually be INTERESTED in your previous vacations, vs. the semi-pleasant coworkers/family/friends, who give you the forced "oh, how nice for you" reaction! I would sit and look at photos and the videos, providing you had the proper wine to set the mood,lol.
All the experience and perspectives on travel would be illuminating. I don't think anyone has done it all yet, and it would be fun to plan future adventures from the collective group input.

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
emd

I have a true story to tell. I have met one person from this board. We were planning our trips to NYC simultaneously for the same weekend and realized it as we were posting. We never intended to meet up, although we were staying in the same hotel and had posted some vague refernces to getting together, but I don't think either of us thought we would. However, I knew she was going to the Tenament Museum that weekend and I knew what city she was from, and lo and behold when we were on Tenement Museum tour I saw a man w/a Tshirt on from that city's baseball team. I took the chance and went up to them and asked if she was a fodie (as opposed to a foodie) and it was her. Even NYC is a small world. It was a nice encounter. And I am goign to that city in a few wks. and intend to give her a ring, maybe invite her for a drink (I love baseball too and am going partly to see baseball in that city). Otherwise, I have thought about trying to have a small get together w/some fodies in the D.C. area but the occasion has never presented itself. I'm a bit leary of stretching the cyberspace thing into reality, truth be told.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I hear you emd-but, you gotta
GTG with the Wine'os or the NorCA
group. IME they are all lovely,
easy to talk to,very silly,
well read, and spoken, and loads of
fun. I think it was so easy to meet these folks because we all sort of "knew"one another before hand.
And the friendships have continued
which is neat.
R5
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM

When we were planning our first trip to Hawaii a couple years ago there was a woman named Joan who was posting many of the same questions I had. We eventually ended up e-mailing each other to compare information. Turns out we were going to be there at the same time. We met up for dinner at the Princeville Hotel and hit it off. She and her husband are great folks! We still occasionally stay in touch.

After being on this board awhile you feel like you know people and with some you just know you would get along in person. It would be fun to put faces along with the names, wouldn't it?

Cheers, Maggi
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:08 PM

No dwoodliff, what happens?
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Hi Donna:

I have met up with two Fodorites during two trips to Europe. Both meetings came about as we discovered we would be in the same place at the same time. In Italy, we met up with "Grinisa" who has been to Italy about million times and is an expert - also turns out she lives 1.5 hours from me. Two months ago, in Ireland, hubby & I arranged to meet up for a night out with "Budman" and his very lovely wife who were there at the same time we were. We had a great time!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

ronkala: Hmmmm, I forgot??? I think the grass burrs stick to your ankles.

Donna
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

happychesehad, I am mostly on the Europe forum and that's where budmaAN IS THAT WE LOVE. TELL US , WHAT'S HE LIKE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -