Reload this Page >

Farewell and Fair Winds!

Search

Farewell and Fair Winds!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 08:02 AM
John

Farewell and Fair Winds!

Well, dear fellow travelers, I’m out of here. I started giving advice on this forum, because I felt too many travelers were being misled by travel agents, travel planners, public relations jocks, and chamber of commerce hacks. Over the last few weeks, I have become convinced that most of the forum participants (especially those who always sign in anonymously) have some sort of professional connection (a few, I suspect, may even work for the competition).

But there seemed to be a few honest travelers on this forum who were seriously looking for help in making their trips a success. Those I tried to steer in the right direction, drawing on a quarter of a century’s experience of travel, and as a magazine editor in the Pacific Northwest and a writer of west coast travel books. (And the only money I have ever taken for any travel advice came from my publishers.) Unlike Maui Heidi and Noah, I shall not continue to rise from the “dead” (nor shall I sign in under a pseudonym).

Instead, I shall concentrate on my web site, which has been a great success since I started it up in early February 2000. I’ll be relaxing in my garden, sipping wine and writing another book or two. I shall be enjoying the summer sunshine and the fall rains. I shall revel in the aromas of a thousand flowers, and listen to the song of warblers and the buzz of hummingbirds. (Last night, several raccoons dropped by for a visit, and this morning, a bald eagle soared overhead.)

In other words, I shall be a

A purring kitten
Dozing in the catnip in
A bed of flowers.

Farewell and fair winds.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 09:36 AM
Neal Sanders

John, let me get this straight… because a small number of bozos who lack the gene for common courtesy have, by trial and error, discovered how to use the Internet and have found their way to this web site, you are electing to leave. May I assume you do not dine out because you once encountered a wailing infant in your favorite restaurant? Or that you no longer go to films since the time you went and the couple behind you talked during the movie?

Good, unbiased travel advice is very hard to come by. It is even harder to obtain advice that is current, or that has not been cribbed from last Sunday’s newspaper. It is hardest to find when you are heading off on a special journey and you want that trip to be memorable. These travel boards deliver such nuggets of wisdom. There are people here who are getting – and giving – first-hand answers about everything from Andalusian hostels to Zuni fetishes. Some of it is delivered in straight, declarative sentences; other responses are offered up couched in the kind of earnest, first-hand parables that validate the invention of writing.

John, my advice is to complain to the management. MauiHeidi trolled for commissions on this site unfettered. Then, some vigilante group got together and, the next thing we knew, every trace of her disappeared – gone into the same purgatory with Dr. Abate and those asking where to find sex for pay in Las Vegas. The “editors@fodors“ really do read their mail. People lose their posting privileges.

So, before you declare this a lost cause, give the alternative a try. You may be surprised.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:19 AM
Beth

At least it appears Neal plans to stay awhile; thank goodness for more erudite postings.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:34 AM
howard

Well said, Neal!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 10:54 AM
ifitquacks

A magazine editor and a west coast travel book author who has absolutely nothing to gain by posting travel tips? Hmmmmm.....

You sit in your country garden while you continue to extol the virtues of an urban hell like L.A.? Nothing to gain, huh? You post "announcements" about your books and web site here, but you have nothing to gain, huh? You post here to "steer in the right direction" but have nothing to gain?

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Good riddance!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:32 AM
kal

Dittos to all the above...Don't let the B'tards get ya down.
I appreciated your input on Napa/Sonoma/SF areas.

I'm still smarting from when you "dissed" my Sacramento area home,tho! You were correct, but....

Hang in there and what type of fine
Pac-No'west red wine would you recommend?
Mucho Mahalos,
Kal

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:13 PM
boo

I...I...I think I shall cry! How shall we get along without John? Where shall we find unbiased travel information without him? How shall we ever recover from this? Who shall......oh bite me.

Smell ya later you old wino.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:41 PM
Jean

Please reconsider your plans to stop posting. I don't always agree with you, but I respect your opinion and want to continue to learn. It's good to have a variety of opinions, because we are a diverse group.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 01:24 PM
Mr.ConflictofInterest

I've read some of John's variou postings the last several weeks, and have viewed some of the disagreements he has had with other posters. I find it interesting and note worthy that John got tired of this board when people wouldn't agree with him. I also find it interesting that he only took money from editors, but that doesn't constitute a conflict. I also find it strange that anyone who disagreed with him was a "travel agent, travel planner, public relations jock, and chamber of commerce hack." Gee, I didn't know all of you other posters worked in that industry. Face it John, you're like a little kid who decided to take his ball home with him when the other kids didn't want to play the same game. Personally, I feel your condescending attitude towards those of us non-professional travel writers won't be missed. The good folks like Neal, Lani and others on this board will continue the good fight. You, I bet you'll be getting drunk telling all of your editors about how rudely you were treated by this board. Bye, bye, and don't let the door hit you in the a** on your way out.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 01:39 PM
Pat

I appreciated your California advice in planning for my vacation to be taken this summer. As an adult, I form my own opinion as to the validity of any advice given. If you can't deal with the negativity and fakes then you are right in opting out. I have found many people really helpful and choose to screen out the negatives and nitwits. Although I sometimes wonder how people with such negative attitudes even manage to enjoy traveling at all.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 02:55 PM
xx

Question: What's more annoying than a self-pitying whiner? Answer: A self-righteous, self-pitying whiner who spews flowery prose.

Mr. Conflict, you hit the nail on the head with your comments. John the Garden Slug is upset because he couldn't easily steer people to his choice venues.

Adios and sayanara old whine-o.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:05 PM
April

I too find it fascinating that John has no use for travel professionals, and then goes on to explain about his travel writing. I personally don't believe that many posters here are travel agents, chamber of commerce employees, etc. - lurking, waiting to pounce - but even if they were I do have my own brain with which to make decisions. Perhaps if John didn't make remarks like "Bill doesn't know what he's talking about" (Visiting Bellingham Washington thread), he may have got a friendlier reception. And perhaps another problem is in the rather controlling statement, "trying to steer people in the right direction." My paradise might be your dump so I think it's best to just share an opinion for people to take or leave.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:07 PM
Grassyknoll

Hmmmmm....Noah and John leaving at the same time? COINCIDENCE??? I don't think so???
The secret is out...CAN THEY BE ONE AND THE SAME??

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 09:51 AM
marci

When I first read this post I marveled that anyone could actually be so self-important as to post a message like this. As if anyone gives a flying fig whether he posts here or not. Why not just stop visiting this site if he's so fed up?

Then I realized that it's just another shameless plug from someone who has something to sell and is using this site to sell it. Talk about a bag of wind.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 11:10 AM
Judy

Ditto.

And if this guy could write prose one-half as well as he thinks he can, he'd be famous. Perhaps then he wouldn't have the time to come on line and condescend to the rest of us.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 11:18 AM
xxx

hey john, were you expecting anyone to ask the URL of your web site? Glad no one has yet. i must say that in the past i have agreed with alot of your opinions and posts, but you have most of the time come across as condescending, whiny and know-it-all-y. won't really miss ya, dude.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 03:14 PM
breaking

Sounds to me like John himself is the one working for the competition. He's obviously not writing travel pieces for Fodor's, yet here he is, Mr. Travel Book author. How big of him to post here on this board just so the rest of us wouldn't be be "misled." And wasn't that sly the way he slammed the Fodor's board and all its posters, while at the same time slipping in information about his own travel books and web site? What a greaseball.

As a final farewell to you John, let me just say *buurrrrrp*

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 09:45 PM
Stuart

ROTFL John. I'd say more, but a few people above me said most of what I wanted to say already when they said...

"You sit in your country garden while you continue to extol the virtues of an urban hell like L.A.? "

"I find it interesting and note worthy that John got tired of this board when people wouldn't agree with him...........Personally, I feel your condescending attitude towards those of us non-professional travel writers won't be missed. "

"Question: What's more annoying than a self-pitying whiner? Answer: A self-righteous, self-pitying whiner who spews flowery prose."

".........another problem is in the rather controlling statement, "trying to steer people in the right direction."

"When I first read this post I marveled that anyone could actually be so self-important as to post a message like this. As if anyone gives a flying fig whether he posts here or not."

".........if this guy could write prose one-half as well as he thinks he can, he'd be famous."

".....you have most of the time come across as condescending, whiny and know-it-all-y. won't really miss ya, dude."

Goodbye to bad rubbish!

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 08:39 AM
Cindy

Hmmm. I guess this thread is a cautionary tale indeed. Many of us discovered this board one way or the other and became sufficiently interested to begin posting responses. I have never seen anyone announce on their first post, "I'm here now, so you can all relax now as I am here to save you from all of the incompetent, biased advice you have been getting." But for some reason, certain individuals seem to feel the need to announce their departure. Perhaps this suggests that it is all too easy to develop a grossly overblown view of oneself and one's contributions to this board to the point that one can believe that others might actually care if one suddenly decided not to post further.

I hope it never happens to me. If you ever see such a "goodbye" post from me, it will not mean that I have decided not to post further. It will mean I am about to leave this earth. So it really would be a goodbye.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 10:17 AM
M.M.

I'm nervous !! It can't be this easy.First we've heard nothing more from old AMS(PMS?)and now Sir John the garden meister extraordinary just folds his hand and blows away.There must be a strong rebuttal coming this way soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -