Recommendations needed for Edgartown, and Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the privilege of staying for a week in Edgartown later this month. We have never been to Martha's Vineyard, and do not plan on getting a car. DH has conferences during the day, and I will be able to do whatever I please during the days.

I have bookmarked a couple of nature walks/outings to do. And I will research this site and elsewhere, too.

Would love fodorites' suggestions on day-time activities, and restaurants for lunch and dinners. Also how to get around on public transit.

Thank you!
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

???
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM

There is an island bus service that sells tkts either as singles or multiples and goes to the main towns on the island.

We have only ever gone over on day trips from Woods Hole and we tend to eat lunch at a place in Edgartown whose name escapes me now, but it is on the water.

Oak Bluffs, a town 5 miles or so from Edgartown and accessible on the bus cited above is a fun place to walk around to see the Gingerbread Cottages, which you will read about in any guide on the Vineyard. I had my first lobster roll ever at a restaurant in OB by the (unlikely) name of Giordano's. It still stands out in my memory as one of the best ones I have ever had.

The Black Dog in Vineyard Haven (accessible by same bus as above) has really delicious baked goods, and great lunches and/or breakfasts. Bunches of Grapes (I think that is the name) is a great bookstore in Vineyard Haven. Both Edgartown and Vineyard Haven have very cute and interesting shops. Oak Bluffs has more of an old time honky-tonk reputation and the shopping there is more straight up tourist schlock but fun to look at.

Definitely access some guides. I envy you a week to stay on the Vineyard!
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Atria restaurant-Main St-Edgartown
Henry's Bar-Harborview Hotel-Edgartown
The Bite-Menemsha
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If the weather is nice, you might want to take a short bus ride out of town to the beach.

We enjoyed a dinner at Alchemy, on Main Street, but that was a few years back.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Merci.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Gia

We just returned from a week in Edgartown and loved it (much preferred it to Oak Bluffs). My husband and I had a great dinner at Alchemy, the vibe was lively, the food was excellent, we really enjoyed it. Also took the kids a couple of times to Skinny Fats for some great sandwiches (and ice cream - Mad Martha's occupies same space). And the pub in the Kelley House made a great lobster roll - but even better fish and chips.

As for activities, we did a cruise around the island that was nice, you can rent a bicycle practically on any block (it seems) and ride over to Chappaquiddick. And we really loved Aquinnah (on the other side of the island), the lighthouse and the moshup beach were highlights of our week. (But you'd need to research how and if you'd want to do that on the bus).

Have a great time!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Gia

PS: I got all of my prerequisite "Martha's Vineyard" t-shirts & sweatshirts and other cute souvenirs from Shirt Tales on Main Street next to Edgartown Cinemas - I loved that store. Stop by.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM

I should have mentioned that the bus service, besides offering transport between towns, also has a whole island tour that drives around the entire island with one stop at Gay Head. However, it may only start and finish at the Ferry docks. Might be worth looking into as a way of orienting yourself to the island.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again!
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

We are here now, and I am reporting back briefly.

We are staying at the Bayside Hotel, in a 'balcony center room', because we enjoy seeing the water right from our own balcony. It is a nice hotel, with good service, charming rooms, very well-maintained. Right in town, but on a quiet street adjacent to gorgeous residences. I was concerned by some reviews I'd read about the rooms being "tired" and too small. We don't agree with that at all!

We rented biles yesterday afternoon, from a shop across the street, and had a great time ridinf to south beach then up to the Bayview Resort and all around. Gorgeous day, slightly overcast with a wonderful cool breeze.

Dinner last night was special. We discovered a half-price deal at Detente, for bar seating, from 5:30 to 6:00 daily. A lovely little restaurant with a fantastic menu. We were so pleased with it. The bar was comfortable, and we sat with a nice couple. The drinks, salad, entree, and dessert were all half price. We were there 2.5 hours, enjoying the food and the new friends.

One day we took the bus to Oak Bluffs and around. Today we might take the bus to Aquinnah. It is hot and sunny today.

Loving it so far!

(The Cape Air flight was perfectly fine, but I am still a bit concerned about such a small plane- ten seats, twin engine Cessna. Not for the faint of heart!)
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Rented BIKES!

RIDING to south beach

Maybe I should proofread, ya think?
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 07:18 AM

So glad it is going so well!
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM

If you're back in Oak Bluffs try Nancy's. It's right on the water. Good (not great but certainly good) food at okay prices.

Taxis are pretty expensive so stick with the bus if you can. Four of us took a taxi from Oak Bluffs back to Vineyard Haven to catch our ferry. It's what? About 3 miles. It cost $18 and that didn't include tip.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

We ate at a place in Oak Bluffs that was right across from the bus stop, by the water. Can't remember its name, though We had very good fresh tuna steak sandwiches.

Thanks for the referral to Nancy's, if we go back there.

We are really liking Edgartown. I was concerned it would be snooty, but the people are really nice whom we have met.