Reload this Page >

Birthday dinner in NYC

Search

Birthday dinner in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 05:57 PM
jparrent

Birthday dinner in NYC

We will be in NYC early October and it also happens to fall on my birthday. Any restaurant suggestions? It will be a Sunday night and my mother-in-law from Paris will be with us-so we're not really looking for ultra romantic-but rather a good special meal.

I have read about Aquavit, Daniel, and La Grenouille among others, but 2 of these are French and I feel like we get such great French food in Paris-that maybe we should do something different-hence I thought about Aquavit.

Any feedback-I would really like to hear some great jazz as well, but it doesn't need to be the same night or place.

We're staying Gramercy Park area if that makes a difference.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 07:34 PM
GLEN

I LIVED IN NEW YORK ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO, AND I CELEBRATED A WONDERFUL MEAL AT ROCKEFELLER CENTERS RAINBOW ROOM. EXCELLENT ENTERTAINMENT,SERVICE AND TASTY CUISINE.IF YOU CALL THIS RESTAURANT WHICH IS ON THE 65TH FLOOR GOOD VIEW. IF YOU DECIDE TO SEE A MUSICAL ON BROADWAY YOU CAN ARRANGE A PRE-THEATRE MENU WHICH IS RATHER AFFORDABLE..HAVE FUN AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN NEW YORK CITY!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 07:35 PM
GLEN

I LIVED IN NEW YORK ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO, AND I CELEBRATED A WONDERFUL MEAL AT ROCKEFELLER CENTERS RAINBOW ROOM. EXCELLENT ENTERTAINMENT,SERVICE AND TASTY CUISINE.IF YOU CALL THIS RESTAURANT WHICH IS ON THE 65TH FLOOR GOOD VIEW. IF YOU DECIDE TO SEE A MUSICAL ON BROADWAY YOU CAN ARRANGE A PRE-THEATRE MENU WHICH IS RATHER AFFORDABLE..HAVE FUN AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN NEW YORK CITY!

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 09:13 PM
jparrent

thanks glen-that's a good idea too!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 02:42 AM
Donna

I would also recommend the Rainbow Room. Although, do call forthwith and reserve. You may hear that this is "touristy", but we didn't think so. The music is spectacular, the setting is magical and the food is not the finest but excellent. If you do go, be sure to wander down the hall past Rainbow & Stars for a splendid view of Central Park and into the Rainbow Promenade Lounge for an incredible view of Midtown.

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 08:13 AM
Karen

I agree with everyone else, go to the Rainbow Room if you can get in. The food and atmosphere are great. I got engaged after having a wonderful dinner at the Rainbow Room so it brings back good memories-hopefully for you too!

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 11:31 AM
ellen

I've got a few more. Tavern on the Green. Not the greatest food in the world, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. Metronome in the East 20's is close to Gramercy, has great food, atmosphere, and jazz most nites. Patria is a favorite of Regis & Gelman. Also happens to be close to Gramercy. Do not overlook the fabulous Gramercy Tavern, Tribeca Grill, Monkey Bar, Shun Lee Palace for Chinese, or Il Mulino for unbeatable Italian. Good luck.

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 02:50 PM
steve

Aquavit is actually a good choice. The fountain room is stunning and the food is excellent. It might be interesting and different enough from French fare. If you want to stay in the area of Gramercy- the Gramercy Tavern is outstanding and quite attractive as well. Also Union Square Cafe is always a winning choice for food and service.

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 05:57 PM
jparrent

once again-the challenge of travelling-so many restuarants too few nights-thanks for all the great suggestions-I will go hunt down info on the rainbow room now and see if it's possible to get in and start there!

thanks so much