Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Road trip around canyons from Vegas (Bryce, Zion & Grand)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!

I am planning to fly in and out of Vegas in September and to hire a car for a week and travel to all the nearby canyons. We would like to take in Bryce, Zion and the Grand canyon ideally spending a couple of nights at each if possible.

Please could anyone recommend the best order to see them all, anything else we should take in along the way and any hotels/restaurants we should try and use in or around the park entrances.

Really appreciate as always any help and advice with this.

Kind regards,

Jonny
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM

Zion Lodge, Bryce Lodge,Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim and then Bright Angel or El Tovar on the South Rim.

Do you want to see South or North Rim of Grand Canyon?
You might want to include Page for a day or two as well.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:46 AM

I don't know that there is a particular order to see these canyons. From Vegas - it's about 5 hours to the Grand Canyon (In Arizona) - and from Vegas - it's about 2 hours to the Utah Border - which is close to Bryce and Zion.

As for the Grand Canyon - I recommend for first timers - stay on the South Rim - at either Bright Angel - or the more upscale/expensive El Tovar. It you want to get around to the North Rim - it takes at least half a day or longer, and I would recommend you mzximize your time along the South Rim, taking the tour buses to the various scenic points, and as suggested - maybe take a half day float trip from Page: http://gosw.about.com/od/arizonatrav...oradoriver.htm

There are posts/blogs elsewhere about Bryce and Zion. Check under Utah here - or just google away too.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:52 AM

If you do a loop, remember that you can do the loop in either direction, depending on what you get for accommodations and what time you can leave Vegas. For example if you plan on going to the south rim (my favorite) you have a ~ 5 hr drive from Vegas, via Hoover Dam. If you plan to leave Vegas before noon, you could make that first, then loop up to Page, then Bryce, then Zion, then back to Vegas, with a possible visit to the north rim between Bryce and Zion.

If you arrive in the early/mid afternoon you might want to go up to Zion first and do a loop in the opposite direction.

In any case, if it is your first time in the area I would suggest you drive in daylight, because you will see some beautiful country and some of the roads are small, curvy, hilly and have animals that appear on the pavement randomly (I've seen deer, elk, cattle and horses).

Have a fantastic trip.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:01 AM

I don't think there is a preferred route or order. Many times it is based on when you can get reservations.
You want to stay in the park at Grand Canyon, either rim. Bryce and Zion can easily be seen from gateway hotels if the park lodges are booked.

As emalloy said it might depend on when you arrive and depart, giving yourself the shorter distance to travel first if you arrive later. It is about a 3 hr drive from LV to Zion but the time changes as well. If you go via Hoover dam to South Rim it will be about a 5 hr drive and you'll need an hour or more at the dam. You could save yourself time and money if you wanted by touring the Glen Canyon Dam in Page. Pretty close to the same size (not quite as tall, a little wider) and cheaper.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM

If you're especially susceptible to altitude sickness, then choose one the above schedules that starts at Zion. It's the lowest of the parks, but high enough to start your acclimation. By the time you get to Bryce of the Grand Canyon, you should be OK.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks everyone for all your responses and help! I really, really appreciate it.

I will probably do the loop by going from Vegas to South Rim via Hoover dam first then on to Bryce..

Apart from the obvious canyons themselves, Hoover dam, Lake Mead, is there anywhere/anything I should check out along the routes? Don't want to miss anything....thanks for suggesting Glen Canyon in Page, will check that out also.

Thanks again for your time in helping me plan this trip.

Jonny
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:07 AM

In Page, there is: Best Dam View, Horseshoe bend (a short walk over sand to view the horseshoe in the river), Antelope Canyon (a slot on Navajo land, just go to their parking lot and pay for the tour), half day smooth water raft trip on the Colorado river ( I think it was with raft the river), Glen Canyon Dam, lake Meade, etc. I have some pictures at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy/sets in the 2008 set I think.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:21 AM

Brain freeze, the site for pictures is www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM

When you get to the Grand Canyon - take in the IMAX film by the south entrance. You don't necessarily have to do it on the way in - but if you find time - it is informative.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks emalloy really appreciate your advice, will do everything you said it all sounds perfect!
Thanks also Tomsd will check out the IMAX film.

Can anyone recommend any places to stay relatively close by to the parks? Most of the hotels located in the parks are fully booked for the dates we will be there, would ideally like to stay somewhere 3-4* with maybe a few restaurants/bars close by.(thanks spirobulldog for your suggestions earlier)

Thanks again for all your help!
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM

As for in the parks, the lodging, except for el Tovar in GC is basic, clean but not many * worthy, you stay there for the fantastic location. There are always cancellations as you get closer to the time because people make reservations a year in advance and cancel when they find they can't make it and the tour companies do too. These often do not make it to the web, so call and keep calling as it gets closer to your trip time. In the mean time, make a cancelable reservation outside the park.

For Zion that would be in Springdale, for Bryce look in Tropic, for Grand Canyon look at Tusayon (15 minutes south of the canyon on 64) or Cameron (Cameron Trading Post - about a half hour east near the junction of 89 and 64 on the way to or from Page).

Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM

Just outside of Zion in Springdale is the Desert Pearl Inn. We've stayed there twice and were extremely happy with the place. A free shuttle bus, which runs through town, will drop you off at the entrance to the park where you catch the park bus to wherever you want to go inside Zion.

The closest lodging near Bryce is Ruby's Inn, which is mediocre at best, though others may disagree. It is a huge complex of motel-style buildings and caters to tour buses. OK if you cannot find other lodging, but it is low on my list. Keep checking the park's website for availability as lodging in Bryce is much better and you are a short walk from the canyon rim.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again emalloy, really helpful advice and recommendations, will look in to each of the areas you mention.

Thanks also MIWinnie, will check out those hotels also, the Desert Pearl sounds ideal.

Thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Did those three parks from Vegas last year. Here's my trip report and link to photos - http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...parks-trip.cfm
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
isabel,
Just reread little parts of your report. Oh man!!!! Have to plan another trip there!!!
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Hi Jonny,
have you considered doing a tour? I traveled with a company earlier this year who do exactly what are you looking for-I calculated the cost of renting a car, park entries and accommodation and they worked out so much cheaper -plus its a lot of fun traveling in a small group!
You could check them out-they have a three day, 7 day and 12 day-going to where you go! They knew all the secret best spots too! Hope it helps-if nothing else you can look at the itinerary and get an idea of travel times etc!

www.gotrekusa.com
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much isabel, your trip and pictures look awesome! It will really help to plan my trip.

Thanks also Travellingsolo, would love to do the tour but I am pretty rigid with my dates, so not sure it would fit in with my flights back etc, will check it out though.

Thanks for all your replies and help.
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:06 PM

Hi Jonny, I have made this trip many times and would recommend you split your lodging/evening times in Kanab and Springdale, UT. We stayed at the Quail Park Lodge www.quailparklodge.com in Kanab and at the Desert Pearl in Springdale. www.desertpearl.com Both locations where great with great dining options and convenient to all of the parks. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:27 PM

When you go to Zion, try to include Kolob Canyon, the northern part of the park, if you can. It doesn't get nearly as many visitors as the rest of the park, and the scenery is pretty stunning. It's about 30 minutes north on I-15 from the exit you take to get to the main part of Zion.

Keep calling the park lodges to see if they have openings. You may be able to take advantage of someone's cancellation.

We stayed at the Bryce View Lodge www.bryceviewlodge.com about three years ago. It's across the street from Ruby's Inn and was fine for our needs.

We just got back from a trip to Zion. My inlaws live in Cedar City, so we stayed with them, but on the way home we spent the night at the Rodeway Inn in Kanab - clean and inexpensive. I don't think you would need to stay there unless you left the Grand Canyon late in the day. Kanab is 17 miles from the turnoff for Zion's east entrance and is...some number of miles south of Bryce Canyon. Sorry, I don't remember the exact distance.

Lee Ann

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -