Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks in a week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a week in early Sept. to spend touring some of the 'northern' national parks (Yellowstone, Glacier, what else??). While I wanted to start my trip in Denver, seems like too far a drive. Any suggestions on where to start (SLC Utah?) and how to route my trip? I know that I can only 'skim the surface' but only have a week's vacation time. I also like adventure and would love a rafting trip/other activity along the way. ALso any advise for cheap[er] lodgings around park areas would be great. Thanks very much!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM

If you don't mind spending more on air, you can fly right into Jackson, WY. The airport is located inside Grand Teton National Park. A couple of other options would be Bozeman which is about 90 miles from Yellowstone or Billings which is about 172 miles. If you opt for Billings could also visit Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (Custer's Last Stand) and then take the very scenic road through the Beartooth Mts. In Bozeman could visit the Museum of the Rockies.

If you want to go to Glacier from Yellowstone will have to drive about 400 miles according to Mapquest. Have done this with stops along the way at the National Bison Refuge and the Mission of St. Ignatius located nearby for their fescos.

Be prepared for night time temps near freezing.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM

I think a trip like this would involve more driving than "park visiting". We spent an entire week in Glacier NP in late June and still didn't get to see everything. We flew into Kalispell, which is the closest airport to GNP. Accomodations in and around the park can be "pricey". If you are traveling with several people (as we were), you might want to consider renting a vacation house through VRBO. Another option would be to stay in Kalispell and drive to the entrance at West Glacier each day (about a 30 minute drive). There are lots of accomodation choices in Kalispell and we got a good AAA rate at the Hampton Inn in Kalispell which was very nice (indoor pool and spa, free business center, very nice rooms and common areas, good breakfast).
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Depending on where you fly into, it can be done. The issue would be taking time to get to the parks, which are a day apart. Decide where you're flying into, and start planning from there.

I'd suggest:
Day 1 - Travel to Glacier
Day 2 - Glacier - Going to the Sun Rd.
Day 3 - Glacier - Many Glacier
Day 4 - Drive to Yellowstone
Day 5 - Yellowstone
Day 6 - Yellowstone
Day 7 - Grand Tetons
Day 8 - Get back to airport
Day 9 - Travel

That would allow for a good amount of time in each park and gets it in within a sat-sun week.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Moai12's plan will work if you have 9 days for the trip but it's still going to be a lot of driving, even if you fly in and out of Jackson you are looking at around 1200 miles. It would be better if you could fly into Jackson and fly out of somewhere closer to Glacier.

If you have any less time than 9 days, then I'd forget about Glacier and spend the time in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. There's so much to do in these two parks that one week is just the bare minimum.

Billings, MT will probably be the closest International Air port and Salt Lake City might be the cheaper airport to fly into.

Utahtea
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I'll just say it - you're crazy to try and do these two parks in one week. I totally get that you have only a week's vacation time, but each park deserves at least a week. What's the rush to see both in one week? SLOW DOWN and savor, relax, refresh!

If you spend one week at Glacier NP it would allow you time to also venture into the lower portion of the Canadian Rockies. It is breathtakingly amazing.

If you spend one week in Yellowstone NP, then you could also spend time in Grand Tetons NP. SOOOO much to see in Yellowstone NP!

Will you be by yourself or will you have companions or family with you?
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I agree it's not a good idea to try to combine Yellowstone and Glacier in a week. You'll shortchange both parks.

Much better to do Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, which adjoin each other and will require much less driving.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Been in both parks, though many years ago.... If chosing between the two -- it's really a no brainer, Yellowstone hands down. It's one of the craziest place on earth!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM

It is really a shame you can't get more time but it can be done, in 9 days. Just plan on flying into SLC, driving a lot and not hiking. I would start in Jackson and work my way North, with a long drive back to SLC at the end. You can do a float trip on the Snake in the Grand Tetons, see some geysers and wildlife in Yellowstone, and drive the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier. The best thing about a rushed trip like this is that you can make a list of all the places you want to return when you have more time.