Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Early Valentine's Day - one night in (romantic?) Tampa - lodging & dining help request

Search

Early Valentine's Day - one night in (romantic?) Tampa - lodging & dining help request

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sarasota couple, 20 yrs. together, approaching 40 yrs. old, child free for just the weekend and looking for a romantic dinner and stay in the Tampa Bay area.

The particulars:
This Saturday, 2/5. Looking for a hotel or B&B, dinner restaurant, and possibly brunch restaurant (Sunday), depending on lodging. Looking within a one-hour drive from Odessa. Nothing in particular in mind other than great dining, romance and relaxation.

Where do you suggest?

(Not interested in Armani's, Bern's, Columbia. Not interested in Don Cesar, Tradewinds, Radisson Suites on Sand Key, Safety Harbor Resort. We've done all these and would like somewhere different.)

Thank you for any ideas.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 02:59 AM

How about the Vinoy in St. Petersburg. Lots of things to walk to nearby. I think it is fine for a romantic night or weekend.

http://marriott.com/property/viewall...WT_Ref=mi_left

The signature restaurant in the hotel has many fans. I have not eaten there recently. It is a gorgeous room and very romantic. Maybe someone who has eaten there recently will come along. The restaurant is called Marchand's I think. LMF
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Sunday Brunch....across the causeway to the Tampa Hyatt and Oystercatchers. Right on the bay with beautiful views.

This is another choice for hotel but I think you have already done Armani's.

LMF
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, LMF, the Vinoy looks very nice. Unfortunately, I checked into it and both this and Island's End B&B are booked. Of course, for the Vinoy at least, I can keep checking the website, waiting for cancellations. I suppose we're technically into high season in the beginning of February.

If you know of anywhere else, please reply.

SarasotaFL
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I agree with LMF. The Renaissance Vinoy is a really incredible hotel. A re-invented, reconstructed mediterranean masterpiece of a hotel. It oozes with romance. And you and hubbie can also walk to the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts where they just opened a new exhibit on Monet's London, which is being applauded (this museum is a really wonderful space, romantic with its lovely courtyard and graceful granite columns). Nearby is a shopping area called Bay Walk that has a movie theatre, and you'll find some really funky 1950s retro antique shops on Central Avenue that are lots of fun, all open on the wknd.

As for food, the Vinoy claims to have three dining rooms but one is actually a single dining room with two menus. The other is pool side. I've had good meals there, the ambiance seems to make up for the sometimes less than spectacular food. There is another restaurant in downtown called Cafe Alma which is better. And if you're up for a drive to Clearwater, the Island Way Grill is a favorite of mine.

Also consider a stay at the Belleview Biltmore (Clearwater), that might work for you in the romance department. It's inland but a wonderful older hotel in a fascinating area with lots of elegance. You will have better choices for food than in downtown SP. In addition to Islands Way Grill, there's Cafe Ponte and Massimos.

In Tampa, there's also the Grand Hyatt, which is bayside on Courtney Campbell Causeway. This would give you access to Tampa's fine restaurants. For romance, you can dine there -- or go to St. Barts in Tampa. It's tres romantic

If you're not interested in any of these, there are some fine B&Bs in downtown St. Pete. And there are some sweet little beach apartments along the beaches, but I doubt you'll get a one-night stay. Let me know if you need those suggestions.

Tampa's downtown Waterside Marriot looks to be very nice, I've not stayed there. The downtown has a trolley that goes to Ybor City leaving from the Marriot. And just up the road a short walk is Channelside with its myriad of dining spots. The Signature Room is upscale and has a great jazz bar.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Sarasota, I just read your followup. If you still want downtown SP, then google for some of the B&Bs. And get back with ones you think are what you'd be looking for. I could give you a thumbs up or down.

Happy hunting. I know you'd be happy with any of your alternatives.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

TG, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, your post about the Vinoy is now really making me want to visit there!

I looked at a couple of B&Bs - Bayboro and Mansion House. Didn't like the decoration of the rooms at Bayboro (too fussy for us) but there's one king bed at the Mansion which looks okay, so I've left a message with them and am waiting to hear. The Mansion House B&B has a picture of a cat on their site, though, which always worries me (allergies). I did ask them about that, too. ->They just contacted me and are booked that evening.

Expedia has a "special" rate at the Belleview Biltmore of 139, which is definitely affordable. But are you sure about this hotel? It seems to get very mixed reviews from my quick research.

Drives me crazy to have less than a week to get reservations somewhere, but often that's just the way it goes.

Out of curiosity, I checked Tampa and St. Pete/Clearwater on Hotwire. They're listing in Clearwater a 3 1/2 star hotel, "beachfront, restaurants, pool, fitness ctr., spa, business ctr." for $88 and in "Tampa - Westshore/TIA a 4 star hotel with "shuttle, restaurants, pool, fitness center." I don't know the area well enough to guess at which hotels these might be, any ideas? I've never used Hotwire or Priceline before as we usually have some pretty specific requirements, but I guess you never know.

Thanks to TandooriGirl or anyone who knows the Tampa Bay area!

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I have two more suggestions (love all of the above too). The Holiday Inn Heritage Inn is really nice, great location, and they have a wonderful upscale steak restaurant called Julian's (if you're not a big steak fan, walk to Cafe Alma - fabulous, the "in" place right now, and they also serve brunch). This hotel is not your typical Holiday Inn! Also, there's a brand new Hampton Inn right across the street from the waterfront in downtown. It's expensive, and not romantic, but a great location at First Ave North. The Bayboro, on 17th Ave, is a little out of the way from downtown.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Joan, what is your opinion on the Belleview Biltmore? Thanks for the info on the Holiday Inn, I admit I'd have never thought of checking that. I'll look into it. It really does not have to be in St. Pete for any particular reason, just within an hour's drive in any direction of Odessa.

SarasotaFL
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Well, I've never been there. It's kind of a strange location, not on the beach, not in the city. I would prefer either beachfront or downtown...I like the idea of not driving to dinner or attractions, which would be what downtown would offer. Trip Advisor is pretty scary, isn't it? Sounds like the Biltmore rooms are very iffy. On the other hand, take a look at the reviews for Hampton Inn Downtown:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...g_Florida.html
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM

I probably shouldn't rec. the Belleview Biltmore. My cousin stayed there awhile ago and liked it. It's a rambling dinosaur. There was a recent plan to raze it and build a new one but the locals squashed that because it's a historic bldg. I'm afraid it's more akin to the Tradewinds in SPBeach and I hesitate to rec. it.

The Heritage Inn is a great location and it looks nice from the outside. Definitely a thumbs up. Also, there is a Vinoy B&B, I think it's called, that is supposed to be nice. Let me look for that link.

I'd steer clear of Clearwater unless it's SAnd Key. There's some great stuff up and coming over there but everything's kind of dumpy now, thanks to tooo much spring break. The Clearwater Beach Hotel might be the first one, as for the TIA/W.Shore -- hmmmm. Could it be the Grand Hyatt? I don't know about that shuttle?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I just found this web site for the SP Yacht Club which posts some links. Also check out the vinoyhouseinn.com.

Be sure to find a place that is very close to the waterfront and preferably north of central. That's where you'll best be situated close to all the places you'll want to walk. Do NOT stay at the Hilton, I don't care how renovated it is.

Keep us posted. We want to hear about your special night. And don't forget the great Salvador Dali Museum. Jeez. One night/day is not enough.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Oops. Here it is:

http://www.spyc.org/club/scripts/lib...RP=8&NS=PUBLIC
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I really was a little more interested in the low rate of $97 at the 4 star downtown Tampa hotel. Not sure who provides an airport shuttle. Maybe I'll peek at the Hyatt's website. But I'm not sure about Hotwire. Yes, I'll look too for the Vinoy B&B website. Regarding the Biltmore, my husband says he's been at a meeting there, years ago, and it was nice, but he didn't see a room. The recent tripadvisor's reports, though, are really rather vehemently negative.

Joan, I really do like Hampton Inns and Suites quite a bit. It is definitely our "on the road" or "can't find anything unique" hotel, and I've only ever once experienced one which was less than quite satisfactory (and I've stayed in many). But $180 for a Hampton in St. Pete? I think I'd actually have to see it to believe it gives that value. And I'm not sure about the romance aspect.

I just called the Renaissance Vinoy to make sure their website is correct, and they're booked full that night but said to keep calling. I'll keep checking but will look into the Vinoy B&B and even the Holiday Inn. Thank you all for being here and offering your knowledge!!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Yes, I agree, $180 is a very high rate for a Hampton! I wouldn't do it either. I think your 4 star Hotwire hotel might be the Hyatt. Read this thread on betterbidding.com:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.p...T&f=78&t=9654&
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM

That would be great if it were the Hyatt. There was a lot of road construction going on across the highway from the Hyatt -- maybe that's been a problem for them. But I don't think you'd notice it at all if you're there for only one night. Regardless, it's not on their side of the highway, you won't even see it unless you leave.

I was just in downtown St. Pete. There are many older hotels that are now renovated and looking like they have visitors. But for romance, I think they'd be iffy.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:02 AM

You should give priceline a try. There are only 2 four star hotels listed in the TPA-Westshore zone: the Grand Hyatt and the new (aug 04) Renaissance Tampa Hotel International Plaza. Check out the biddingfortravel site: http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...icID=190.topic

Now, they could have added another four star hotel, but my experience with biddingfortravel is that their hotel list is right on.

I've done priceline many times, and always used that site for help. Very helpful. If you do bid, make sure you read the Hotel bidding FAQ, esp. the part about free rebids. Essentially, if there's no 4-star hotel in another zone, you can do another bid (if you first one fails) by just adding another zone that does not have a 4-star hotel.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Well, I decided to take the plunge and try the Hotwire 4* hotel for $97 and came up not with the Grand Hyatt but with the Wyndham Westshore. I doubt I'll use Hotwire again as I just don't like the uncertainty. I don't know about the Wyndham, the reviews were somewhat mixed on TripAdvisor, but we're going to make the best of it.

We have reservations at sunset at Oystercatchers on Saturday night, and brunch reservations late Sunday morning at The Castaway. We're out of here noonish Saturday, but if TG, LMF, Joan or birder have any other "fun things to do while in the area" ideas, I'll check in the morning. Right now all I'm thinking is just going to International Plaza in the afternoon and perhaps catching a movie after dinner. We don't really have tons of time. We are looking forward to a little couple time together!

Thank you for your help, everyone!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Sarasota, the Wyndham is an elegant hotel, I think you'll be happy. I like their lobby. Lots of marble, thick area rugs, classy dark furniture. Seems I recall trees in the lobby. They have an outdoor pool many floors up, why don't you check with them to see if they also have a hot tub? It's a little chilly now and that would be delightful, you, hubby and the tub under the stars.

You will be across the street from Westshore Plaza, one of the areas oldest and most successful malls. No matter what's built around it, people continue to shop at Westshore. There's a movie theatre there.

I'll check back -- any other suggestions? Would you and hubby want to find some place to have a drink and listen to music after dinner? There's a place near Berns on Howard Ave. called St. Barts. They have a nice bar, a good assortment of rums, and usually an OK jazz or R&B group. Also, at Channelside you could check out the Signature Room where my buddy Denise Moore is doing her sultry jazz set.

Any other suggestions needed?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi again TG,

Yes, a little music sounds nicer than a movie. The only two movies that catch my interest at the theaters near our hotel are Sideways and Million Dollar Baby, neither of which seem particularly romantic. I checked the Weekly Planet for their music recommendations and was intrigued by Steve Gillette and Cindy Mangsen, but their performance is at 7 in Clearwater, so that won't work. I'll ask my husband when he wakes up about your two suggestions, both of which sound lovely. I'll be sure to return with my one-night-in-Tampa report to let you know what we thought.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -