Chicago Airport help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving at O'Hare around 7 pm on a weeknight from a 9+hour transatlantic flight. We will stay overnight and then take a 12:30 pm flight home from Midway.

I prefer to stay at a hotel with a free shuttle from the airport. I realize that we will need to use another means of getting to MDW the next day, as the distance is too great for any one hotel to have free shuttles to BOTH airports. IS THIS THE CASE??

I am not sure where is best to stay. I am thinking close to ORD as we will be really tired when we arrive and have a considerable amount of time the next morning to get to MDW for our flight.

Suggestions on any hotel that might have free shuttles to both airport as well as suggestions - besides a taxi- to get from whatever hotel to MDW appreciated!

Thanks~
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:18 AM

I know hotels around each airport have free shuttles to their respective airport - but not sure about getting from one airport to the other with complimentary hotel/airport shuttle. You may to just have to google away.

I think there even may be a commercial shuttle/bus line between the two - but you might be well advised to pop in a taxi - as they are not that far apart.

If it was me - I would bite the bullet on arrival at O'Hare- and get closer to Midway - and then have more time to relax the next morning before catching your flight home.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM

BTW - the distance from O'Hare to Midway is only about 15 miles - so by the time you either caught the shuttle to the O'Hare hotel - you could also pop in a taxi and be at the Midway hotel possibly even faster. And again, if you google - I think most of the hotels by Midway would have shuttle service to the airport the next day.

Here is also a limo service that might be helpful?

http://stretchlimochicago.com/illino...ls/Chicago.htm
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM

And here's a page for Midway Hotel(s?)with free shuttle - and again, just google away for hotels around either airport.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Oops. The paste didn't take. http://www.midwayhotelcenter.com/
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Blue line comes into downtown from O'Hare. Free transfer to the Orange line if you make it in one trip. http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...ap/200806C.htm
Many people ride the CTA trains into the city from the airports.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Deb:

This may help:

http://www.ohare.com/PassengerInform...AndMidway.aspx
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Sorry, but MDW is more like 25A+ miles from O'Hare and the estimate taxi fare is about $60.00 not including tip.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Keep in mind that getting from O'Hare to Midway should be quicker late in the evening when you arrive than the next morning.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thinking now about staying at hotel near O'Hare with free shuttle, then next morning taking shuttle back to O'Hare and taking train to Midway. Is that crazy? Cheapest way and I figure we will be up very early the next morning anyway.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM

We always use the "L" (or is the the "El"?) to and from the airports in Chicago - I always feel very superior to the masses sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic below us!
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM

How much luggage will you have?
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

1 carry on each
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:07 AM

You are not at all crazy to take the shuttle back to the airport and then take the train. From O'Hare you take the blue line to Clark/Lake stope then go up two levels in the same station to get the orange line line to Midway. Google transit says entire trip O'Hare to Midway would take 1 hour 15 minutes but I would plan that each segment takes at least 45 minutes for a total of 1.5 hours. But in the morning around rush hour time this is the best way. There really isn't a direct highway route between the two airports. You pay only one fare even for both segments ($2.50 or whatever it is these days). I always say that the train to the airport is the best bargain in town.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Maybe I read it wrong - but is not the Q primmarily asking how to get from a hotel (with free shuttle) - around O'Hare to Midway the next morning - and/or is there perhaps a Miday hotel that would by chance - offer a free shuttle to pick someone up at O'Hare? And yes, it is probably closer to 25 miles between the 2 airports - but hey - I drive fast - so it seemed closer.

As for planning ahead, I think it's waaaay too much work to wait for the hotel shuttle at O'Hare - get to your hotel, all the time schlepping your bags around - and the next morning - take the shuttle back to O'Hare and wait for the train connecting to Midway.

Hey - I too like to economize where possible - and ferret out the great deeals - but I would just pop for the taxi (geesh - 50 beans or so?) upon arrival and get straight away to a Midway Hotel in half an hour or so. BTW - I think the hotels around Midway are less expensive across the board than those around O'Hare for the same star category, and then you would be able to relax the next morning,maybe take a dip in the pool or use the jacuzzi, whatever.

Now - if your Q was about wanting to stay at a hotel in downtown Chicago for the night - that is a completely different matter.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM

The O'Hare Hilton is right in the middle of the terminals and easy to catch the train to downtown/MDW from there.

I would bite the bullet and take a shuttle to Midway upon arrival as traffic will be light at that hour.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always stay at the Hilton ORD, a short walk all inside the terminal, if we need to stay at the airport( actually prefer staying downtown.)Trains are also inside the terminal so the next day you would take the Blue Line into the city and change to the to Orange Line and you're at Midway, easy to do.
ORD is NW of the city and MDW is south of the city.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:36 AM

BTW - you did say "we" correct? For two people - I think it's a no-brainer that you catch at Taxi at O'Hare to a Midway hotel. Again, think you can find a less expenwsive - similiar quality hotel by Midway - and if you want to cut back on expenses - just might just grab a sandwich to go at one of the many places as you are leaving O'Hare, whatever.

The next morning - you can enjoy a nice - presumably complimentary breakfast at your hotel and leisurely make your way to the airport - v. having to worry about making connections, possible rush hour traffic, accidents somewhere on the route, and the like.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Uno Mas: The taxi ride is probably about half an hour - direct to your hotel check in area - and if you make connections on the train - while they say an hour and a half -you are still waiting for two trains - and it could be two hours depending on connections, etc, not to mention you are still dragging around your luggage, etc.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

I understand now that there is no hotel that would have free airport shuttles to both airports; it's going to be one or the other.

While I understand about heading to Midway area on arrival, the fact is that we will have actually been traveling for over 14 hours before we land at O'Hare. We did this same trip last year and we were beat when we landed, so that is why I am thinking better to sleep near O'Hare. With time difference it will be past 2 am for us.

I'd imagine we will be asleep by 9 pm and up very early next morning, so allowing 2 hours for train doesn't seem all that awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -