Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

DON'T but your medication in checked luggage!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always pack your medication and other important items in a CARRY-ON BAG!!! It seems like common sense - doesn't it? ... I mean, things happen. Luggage can get lost, stolen, damaged etc.

But I was/am SHOCKED how many people check their medicine - and then have the nerve to get upset (and blame others!)

First I saw it on the show Airline a few days ago. A loud mouth daughter upset because her mother wasn't allowed to fly with an oxygen tank ... and then very upset because it was time for her mother to take her meds and they were in her checked bags. HELLO! What if they were stuck on the plane etc. (I once had to sit on a runway for 2 hrs!) and it was time to take the medicine? (Is that STILL someone else's fault?)

Then I just saw it on the news: SEVERAL airlines had a "holiday nightmare" and 1000s of bags were seperated from their owners. One lady looked at the camera all upset, "My medicine is in my bag somewhere, and I have a heart condition!" ... Please forgive me, I am usually not this rude, but it has to be said; Some people have a STUPIDITY CONDITION!!
"Sure, I've heard about people losing luggage (etc.), but I'm special. That will never happen to me."

I am going to put this thread in every forum. Maybe some people need reminders (and I hope I didn't offend)
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I'm with you. How could anyone not realize that there should be NOTHING in their checked luggage that they couldn't survive without for their entire trip. Are people so dumb they really never heard that sometimes luggage gets lost or strayed?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:24 AM

It is absolutely true that people lack common sense. For example, some people react to television programs as if they were real! Unbelievable isn't it ?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:59 AM
gc

It also occurs to me that, if your checked baggage gets a random search, someone is going to be pawing through you pills.

Then you get to eat them...
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Merry Christmas, Rusty. Have a Valium.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I agree, Wallace, anything valuable or essential (meds, cameras, etc.) should be in the carryon, along with enough other items (clothes, tiketries) to get you through at least 24 hours without your luggage.

Most luggage that gets misplaced isn't really lost, since it eventually does catch up with its owners, but going even 24 hours without a checked bag can be very inconvenient, or (as we've seen) even life-threatening for the truly stupid.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Er, tiketries --> toiletries. Sorry.

::: going to get more coffee :::
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM
GoTravel

I never check any luggage. I carryon all of my belongings and if they don't fit, they stay home.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Author: Rusty
Date: 12/27/2004, 09:24 am
Message: It is absolutely true that people lack common sense. For example, some people react to television programs as if they were real! Unbelievable isn't it ?

Rusty, was that geared toward me? (I am not sure) Is it because I mentioned the show "Airline" ... If your comment was geared towards me, Airline (on A&E) is a REALITY show. (and a very good one too! )
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:51 AM
jor

My travel rule: I Always pack two sets of meds. One stays with me at all times in my carry-on baggage and on my person when I am on vacation. The other set stays in my checked baggage and stays in that baggage throughout my vacation as an emergency backup. This is totally foul proof. My baggage has been lost twice and I was robbed on the street once. I was never without a backup set of meds and never had to panic.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:02 AM
jor

Rusty, obviously you have not seen "Airline" on A&E. These are real travelers at airport gate check-ins where Southwest airline flys. I'm sure they are asked to sign a release form after they have been filmed and I would bet that most of them sign because they think their big beef was justified and they want SW to look bad. Except that They are the ones who end up looking rediculous.

Watch it tonight at 8/7C. You will change your mind about the reality of this show. It is 100% reality.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:16 AM

That was my reaction when the news yesterday showed someonw woman who's baggage was missing and need her heart meds.

Never in checked luggage. Never in a carry on large enough to be gate checked.

Same thing for keys and wallet.

Keith
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am continually amazed by lack of common sense then blaming others for the problem.

Don't put anything in checked baggage that you are unwilling to lose or can't live without for a few days at best. Carry anything irreplaceable on the plane with you.

Along these lines, don't leave a briefcase or wallet in a parked car (twice recently co-workers have had things stolen and then were all surprised and outraged). Don't leave your videocam, rolex, and digital camera in a hotel room. Don't spill scalding coffee on yourself at McDonald's.

Etc. etc.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM

I'm wih GoTravel...I don't check anything...traveling standby for years with a parent who works on baggage machines for over 30 years with a major airline, we had to have our luggage with us and it just became a habit....the few times in my life I checked I didn't put anythng in checked luggage that I would be devestated over never seeing again...
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Rusty is a troll that's been around this board for a few years now, never with anything helpful to write. I can only surmise this is a teen on winter break, I can't imagine an adult would spend their Christmas this way.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:28 AM
GoTravel

Wednesday, my carryon habits started the same you yours did only it wasn't my family but good friends that worked for the airline.

Spending a couple of weeks in Europe with carryon only during the winter months teaches you how to pack. It also gives you a new appreciation for the color black.

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I would also hope that spending a couple of weeks in Europe with only carry-on luggage also gives you an appreciation for laundry tasks and the power of a strong deodorant, too.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 12:23 PM

You just have to ingore ole Rusty. He's a well known troll looking to get a rise from someone. Pretty pathetic waste of time.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

HaHa!! He didn't bother me ... I just thought it was kind of funny that he just assumed "Airline" was a fictional show. Most people on here have heard of the show (even if they haven't seen it)

He just made himself look foolish

Hi, Rusty

(sorry, I digress!! )
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM

"DON'T but your medication in checked luggage!!" -- DUH. Isn't it amazing how many folks don't have the sense they were born with??

I teach packing classes at a local community college -- and every single session at least 1/2 of the participants swear they had never heard of such a thing - "I've always packed meds in my checked bags". Sheesh - scary what's in the gene pool.

(about "Airline" -- it absolutely, totally amazes me that some of those people think they look reasonable and actually sign those releases. Sort of like "Cops" - those folks also have to sign releases to have their faces aired. Guess they think 15 mins of fame is worth looking like total a***oles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -