FORT LAUDERDALE Beach Holdiay Inn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at this hotel. Looks like a great location, was wondering about any feedback on your stay there.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:02 PM
jd

If you mean the Holiday inn on the corner of Sunrise and A1A,I have stayed there. It is right across the street from the ocean.The rooms are typical Holiday Inn rooms-decent size, nothing fancy but nice enough. There is a pool behind the hotel that okay. It is on the small side and pretty basic. The upper floors have a great view of the ocean. It is in a good location where you can walk to a lot of places,including the Galleria Mall .We enjoyed our stay there.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

jd -- the reason i'm asking is because i bid on a 3 star hotel on priceline and was awarded this hotel. i don't believe this is a 3 star hotel. would you agree? we're staying with our 3 yo, and my in laws have a place close by, so the time we're actually in the hotel property will be limited, but i was hoping for something with a little more in the way of style. do you remember if all the rooms were ocean view? Thanks so much for your input.

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:29 AM
jd

I think all of the rooms were ocean view,although some I'm sure have a better view than others. I think of all of the 3 star hotels listed on priceline for this area, this is the nicest. Doubletree suites is nice too, but you have to walk to the ocean.Its definetly better than the 2 sheratons and the other doubletree on the ocean. I don't think you'll be disappointed-Your daughter will enjoy the pool and you'll enjoy the location.There was also complimentary coffee in the lobby each morning. The Hugh Taylor state park is next to you also-they used to have a train ride here for the kids.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:39 AM

I stayed there in late March (using Priceline for the first time) and would say that it's a very low 3 star. The rooms are okay. The lobby area isn't too bad. The staff was nice even though there were lot of Spring Breakers there. The only bummer was the elevators: sometimes a very long wait.

However the location is very good and it does have a nice view of the ocean from the higher floors. Plenty of places to eat and drink right nearby.

Skip the Galleria. It's in the process of being renovated and doesn't have anything you couldn't find elsewhere.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

dweebe and jd -- would you stay there again? How much were your rooms per night, if you don't mind me asking? Did you request high floor?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:08 AM

I've been there recently fo 2 nights and think you get exactly what you pay for -- a Holiday Inn on the beach in Fort Lauderdale.

I think I paid $99 for a nice big room with ocean view, month of June.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:51 AM
jd

We stayed there about 5 yrs ago when all I was looking for was a good location that was close to my Dads house so we could walk back and forth.At the time it was Feb. school vacation and price was about $150.We enjoyed the beach here and kids liked the pool.Rooms are just average.We did request a higher floor. Now when we return we always stay at Lago Mar or Marriott Harbor beach,(also a priceline hotel) which are resorts and much nicer, but price is a lot higher. Both of those are destinations in themselves with tropical pool areas overlooking the ocean. Lago Mar has nice 1 BR suites with small kitchen area for about same price as 1 room at Marriott.So if you are not looking for that resort atmosphere the Holiday Inn will be fine. The only other property that would be better than the Holiday Inn on the "strip" would possibly be the Radisson Bahia Mar. There are a lot of smaller hotels along the strip that are not very nice. What price did you get it for? If you are not expecting a resort, I think you will be fine here.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:37 AM

I guess I would stay there again if the rate was decent. In a place like Ft. Lauderdale the room shouldn't be a main concern. The room was $85/night: originally tried to $75 and had no takers.

I didn't request it but our room was on the 5th or 6th floor: view was good from there but higher would be better.

Maybe I shouldn't be so tough on the Holiday Inn. After Ft. Lauderdale we went to Key West and stayed in a great B&B. Then we went back to Miami and stayed at the Hilton Fontainbleau and got upgraded (since I'm HHonors gold) to a Concierge level corner room.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

JD -- we're not looking for a resort, just a clean, decent hotel with a pool in a good location. We have our inlaws nearby, and they've got a kitchen, etc., so we'll probably be having dinners there.

WE've got a 3 yo so much of what a resort has to offer would unfortunately be lost, or at least have a diminished value, as we'd just be sort of hanging out with him. I bid $55/night and was successful. I do not agree with priceline's star system, however, and i think next time.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:04 PM
jd

I think you'll be happy there,and I think its a great hotel for $55. Don't worry about it-it really is a decent hotel. Seems like its just what you're looking for.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

just to complete the thought... next time i'll be a litte more wary of a 3* hotel on priceline.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

jd, thanks you've set my mind at ease.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:23 PM

$55 bucks: great deal for a perfectly good hotel with a view of the ocean and the beach less than 50 yards away.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Jd mentioned the Holiday Inn was better than either of the two Sheraton hotels.

I was thinking of staying at the Sheraton Yankee Trader because I thought it would be much better than the Holiday Inn - I know I can get the Holiday Inn for quite a lot less than the Sheraton.

Is the Holiday Inn in a better location than the Yankee Trader?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 03:09 PM
jd

Dave-the Sheraton trader is in a more central location on the strip,so it is in a better location in that regard. The Clipper is at the beginning of 1 end of the strip, and the Holiday Inn is at the beginning of the other end of the strip. It is easy to walk to shops and restaurants from either end,however being in the middle would make it more convenient. All 3 of the hotels are 3* so basically about the same quality.I just prefer the Holiday Inn.The Trader does have an elevated walkway over A1A which makes it easier to get to the beach.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:13 PM

The Yankee Trader is definitely a good location for walking up and down the strip. The Holiday Inn is also a good location with a good view. Both are in good areas. The Yankee Clipper is possibly the OLDEST hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach (I'm 49 and it's been here all my life.)

I've read the Doubletree on the beach doesn't get favorable reviews, so stick with the Holiday Inn for the price. I know someone who got the Yankee Trader for $69 in September (Hotwire), so $55 is a good price.