SW Colorado Itinerary

Search

SW Colorado Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW Colorado Itinerary

This September, DH & I, along with my parents, will be traveling to southwest Colorado. We will be flying from Austin to Albuquerque then driving to Durango. Below, is our tentative itinerary and would like some feedback, please.

Saturday September 23 - Fly to ABQ; drive to Durango; explore the town

Sunday September 24 - Train from Durango to Silverton; explore Silverton and when we return to Durango, explore more

Monday September 25 - Mesa Verde NP

Tuesday September 26 - San Juan Skyway to Ouray

Wednesday September 27- San Juan Skyway to Telluride & stay overnight

Thursday September 28 - Explore more in Telluride and the San Juan area; drive back to Durango or Albuquerque

Friday September 29 - Fly home from Albuquerque

On Tuesday and Wednesday, we will be making the same drive along the San Juan Skyway.
- I feel silly asking, but will we tire of the drive?
You must note, DH & I have been traveling to Estes Park, twice a year, for the last 10 years and we never tire of it! We never get tired of seeing those mountains and driving on Trail Ridge Rd.
-Mainly, what I meant, is by driving it twice, will it be overkill?

Any stops you would suggest along the San Juan to mix it up on both days? Hikes?

Also, on Thursday, would you make the drive back to Albuquerque? If it's late in the day we don't mind.

Lastly, any changes you would make to the itinerary?

Thanks!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:21 PM

I personally wouldn't drive the same route twice. It is lovely, but it's a waste to me. Stay in Ouray and then drive on to Telluride.
St Elmo B&B is a nice place to stay; Beaumont if price is not a concern. Dinner at Bon Temp or Buen Tiempo Restaurant & Cantina.

Do Box Canyon Falls.

Take the train only one way and the bus the other way. Save time. If you take the train TO Silverton, sit on the right side of car. If you take bus to Silverton and train back, sit on the left.

And now that I think of it; you will actually be doing the same route 3 times as you have it - twice in car and once in train.

Consider driving the other way:
From Durango head west on 160 and in Mancos, turn right at the traffic light onto 184 towards Dolores. Then right onto 145 to Telluride.

I would head back to ABQ on Thursday. There's things to see and do here as well. What time is your flight on Friday?
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:22 PM

I meant to add, I would add a day to Mesa Verde.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, DebitNM!

We were planning on staying in a cabin in Durango until our night in Telluride. It's not booked yet and I think we can do 3 nights. I will look into the Ouray hotels.

Our flight will probably be the 12:45p departure if we head to ABQ Thursday. Or we could do the 3:55p departure and drive straight through on Friday.!

Leaving from Telluride on Thursday, it will be a 5 hr drive, according to google maps, to Albuquerque. By the time we get there Thursday evening, we won't have time to do much.

We don't want to add a day to Mesa Verde.

Won't the train ride offer a different view since it's 'through' the mountains?

With shops, photo ops, a little hiking...we will have enough to do?

Again, too much or too little time in one place? Except Mesa Verde.

Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 02:03 PM

The "Million Dollar Highway", Rt 550, also goes through the mountains. To me; it is very similar. The train runs the terrain, approximately 1/3 the trip almost parallels the road. Taking the train both ways is overkill IMHO.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 02:07 PM

"runs the SAME terrain"
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

We are going to do the train one way, Durango to Silverton then bus back.

I meant would the train view be different from driving it. Not the view of doing the train round trip.

Also, realized that we will be on that hwy w/ the bus so that is a lot of that hwy!
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 03:35 PM

I understood about the views as seen driving vs when riding the train, not the concept.

Yikes! I forgot about the bus ride back. Really, rethink your plan.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Revised plan...

Saturday -- Fly to Albuquerque; drive to Cortez; Stops along the way?

Sunday -- Mesa Verde NP; drive to Telluride; stay at the New Sheridan Hotel

Monday -- Telluride; drive to Ouray (early evening); stay at Hotel Ouray

Tuesday -- Ouray Alchemist tour, other things to do?; drive to Durango; shops & dinner; stay at the O-Bar-O Cabins

Wednesday -- Durango

Thursday -- Durango to Silverton train

Friday -- More of Durango area or fly home?

Saturday -- Fly home (if we stay through Friday)

Are we short changing Telluride? Or is one day enough for shops & scenery?

I thought I had this planned out well and now I'm second guessing myself.

I don't like to hotel hop. My parents do that on their trips. They have done it a few times in Colorado, on a gulf coast trip to Florida and most recently in California.

DH & I go to one destination and stay there. I wanted my parents to experience staying in a cabin. Now, the first 3 nights we are hotel hopping!

I'm stumped on getting this itinerary right!
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM, do you think this itinerary works better?
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:49 AM

You might as well skip Mesa Verde--it' a long drive in and out--you'll have no time in what I think is a "wonder of the world". But to each his own.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 02:16 AM

I would spend more time in Mesa Verde, but if you only want one day that's better than none.

You might stop at Aztec Ruin on the first day, between Albuquerque and Cortez.
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 09:43 PM

The Durango-Silverton is not the only train in the area.
If you want to ride a train but not necessarily duplicate the views you already got from driving 550, you could also think about doing the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR from Chama.
http://cumbrestoltec.com/

Assuming that you will drive on day 1 from Albuquerque to Cortez via 550/64/491 (and make that stop in Aztec - nice compact site, does not need that much time), maybe you want a slightly more Eastern route on your way back from Durango to ABQ. And head East on 160 until you hit 84 in Pagosa Springs and follow 84 to Santa Fe.

Not knowing the physical fitness of your parents.. you may want to check out the info of the National Park Service on visiting the cliff dwellings:
https://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvis...ffdwelling.htm
You can see many dwellings from viewpoints which involve only a few steps of walking, but to actually get into the dwellings with a guided tour you need to climb ladders and hike down and up again quite some elevation.
If you wish to visit dwellings that require a ticket, check out where you can get them:
https://www.nps.gov/meve/planyourvisit/tour_tickets.htm
Old Mar 25th, 2017, 01:03 PM

This is a beautiful time of year to visit SW CO. The aspens are changing color and the San Juan Skyway is spectacular. I would not hesitate taking the train to Silverton and also driving the San Juan Skyway; they are totally different experiences and perspectives. I agree that you will only want to drive the "color drive" once. I would suggest that you leave in the morning out of Durango, take a leisurely drive through Silverton and Ouray on your way to Telluride. Maybe stop in Ouray for lunch and see the box canyon. This will still give you plenty of time to get into Telluride in the afternoon. Spend the night in Telluride. I think one night and part of the next day in Telluride is plenty; it's very small and unless you are hiking or skiing, or there is a festival going on, I would think you will get enough of Telluride. Telluride is only a couple hours back to Durango. I would recommend Mesa Verde; you don't have to climb up and down the ladders to still enjoy it. Either on your return to Durango from Telluride or on your way to Mesa Verde, you could stop in Mancos for breakfast or lunch and wander around this little town. The options for all kinds of activities in and around Durango are numerous depending on your interests and level of activity. Using this plan, you could avoid changing lodging so much with the one night in Telluride and the balance in Durango as your homebase for all activities.