Chicago's Midway Airport + Priceline hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any experiences here with hotels landed on Priceline? (Yep, I know about BFT, just would like to know more in the way of 'reviews' of where folks have ended up).

Its never been one of the city's finer areas, and I'm just hoping that if I go the Priceline route, we'll get someplace that offers shuttle. Also about the quality of what comes up at (at least) 2.5*
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM
GoTravel

When in doubt, skip priceline and book traditional route.

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:16 AM
JJ5

I have some experience with out of town guests. I think they were Hampton Inn. But almost every Midway area motel is similar in quality.

The quality is acceptable but not high in Midway area lodging. You will get much cheaper accomodations doing Priceline than booking direct.

I know all of this could change, but I'm pretty sure that 95th & Cicero was still considered in the "Midway" area.
It's not- but the hotel is good.

Do you want the shuttle to Midway itself or to downtown? All have shuttles to Midway, I'm almost sure. And the parking deals can be made doing this that are awesome if you have a car to store for the duration, because they will let you leave your car.

You can get the Orange line from Midway if you want to get downtown.

Are you doing this because downtown is too expensive on your dates, or because of business in the area?

They do have shuttles.

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:28 AM

GoTravel - Aren't we all in doubt when we first begin researching? That's the point of looking up information and researching. Certainly, if after all the researching is done there is still too much doubt for comfort, then priceline isn't the way to go. But it seems a bit strange to tell someone to skip priceline rather than ask for more information on it when they don't know something up front.

tuckerdc - I know you said you've checked BFT, but did you see that they also list hotels available in that zone (all that have been reported as wins to them) and have reviews from their users who have stayed there? You can also look up reviews for each at tripadvisor.com and might find more good info at www.betterbidding.com in addition to BFT.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:35 AM
J62

I've heard reports (I think here about a year ago, but don't recall - may have been on BFT) that the Midway zone on Priceline was ridiculously large, and some hotels were farther away from MDW than downtown was. (travel time).

Not sure if PL has changed that, but BFT should have more current info. As long as I know all the properties on PL and am willing to accept any of them I have no objections to using PL. BFT and TripAdvisor tell me all I need to know - so far.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM
JJ5

Yes, J62, that was the problem exactly with the Midway area designation- it being so large. The Hilton 9300-9500 S. Cicero was in that group and it's not close to Midway.

But I'm sure it has a shuttle.

If you want to access downtown frequently you would not want to be on 95th St. South- that's why I asked the downtown question.

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM
GoTravel

jlm, if I ever have any doubts or ifs, I skip priceline and book traditionally.

I've used priceline lots of times and I think what makes me a satisfied customer is that I research the situation to death and remove all variables.

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM

which is exactly what tuckerdc is doing here
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys...as usual, I maybe should have provided more info.

We're flying back into M'way (830 p arrvl) after a 3-week mega-journey, lst step in getting all the way home to NE Wisconsin. Kid(s) can't pick us up that night, and we figure we'll be zonked, hence the thought of a quick place to crash. Don't want to spend the xtra shuttle $ to get to d'town Chicago.

I know of the BFT reviews (and truth, I haven't looked at them yet), but Fodors info is always so current and helpful that I figured I'd float a ? here.

Anyway, thanx again for all the input!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:15 AM
JJ5

You are not going to go wrong with staying Midway area Priceline then, tuckerdc. Downtown isn't even in the picture. I would not hesitate to use Priceline at all.