Search

June Gloom

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Denise

June Gloom

I read that the coast is very foggy in June.
we are planning to come on 6/23 but not driving on the coast until 6/27. Is this time
o.k.? I hope it is because I have our plane
tickets already.
We will go to Coronado on 6/27 from LA & stay
for 2 nights & then leave to drive up to Solvang for l night,l night in Carmel & 2 nights in SF. Does this itinerary sound good?
This is our first time in California and my son is a mature l3 year old.
A friend of mind had told me that Disneyland is a waste of time because we have been to Disneyworld 5 times! Is that true?
I just don't want to waste any time & miss something that is worth seeing.
My husband and I are beach people and that's why we are staying in Hotel Del Coronado. Is this a good choice?
We are stopping in Solvang because we don't
want to be driving for a real long period of
time & I heard it's a different spot to stop
at.From there we will be going to Carmel & staying at La Playa Hotel. Is that a good choice?
Last will be SF at the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf.
I heard that Alcatraz was worth seeing,especially for my son.
Sorry for such a long letter but I just want to get as many responses with advice and if this sounds like a good itinerary.
P.S. The 4 days in LA includes Universal Studios (Stay at Sheraton in Universal City)Rodeo Drive & Hollywood, Star Search(for my
husband) beaches (but which are the best for
us I need to know)& possibly Disneyland,(if
that's not a waste of time.
Thanks, and hope I hear from alot of you out there.

Denise
One more thing. Any good vegetarian restaurants in those areas?

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 10:13 AM
michele

Denise ,
June gloom usually sticks around for the whole month and the coast could be a little foggy no matter what time of year you go. The gloom lifts late in the afternoon.

The Coronado is a grand hotel and I am sure you will enjoy it. Remember, the Pacific is NEVER warm. This is not the tropics and in June I wouldn't count on swimming.

I would skip Disneyland. Alcatraz is interesting and I think you can get tickets in advance. I would do so as it is very popular. I think the wharf is the worst of tourism, but I am in the minority on that. Your LA plans sound fine. Try Venice beach for some people watching. You won't have any problem with vegetarian restaurants in either city.LA has a large Indian population and these, as well as other restaurants, are good choices. ( Try Bombay Cafe on the Westside). Also, search this forum for lots of very detailed advice on the coast drive.

Have fun...

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Michelle

Dear Michelle,
Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Take care,
Denise

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 08:22 AM
SDSam

Unfortunately the 'June Gloom' is real and you are going to be right in the middle of it. However some years are much worse than others. Hopefully this will be one of the better years. Acutally Cronado is not as bad as some of the other areas north of the city.

For future reference, October is the best month of the year for visiting California. Clear and warm weather.

Most of your choices are excellent. The Hotel Del Coronado is a great place with a nice beach. Across the street from the hotel is a Mexican Restarant that I highly recommend. It is called 'Miguel's Cocina' and is in a courtyard right next to the Brigantine. Excellent food, great ambience and reasonable prices.

One interesting thing to do is to take the ferry across to downtown San Diego. You can walk for the Hotel Del Coronado up Orange Ave. to the ferry terminal. It is actually a block off of Orange. It is about a mile. Catch the ferry and it will take you to the Broadway Pier. Downtown San Diego is great for walking. I would suggest going on Saturday or Sunday. The Navy often has one or two ships at the Broadway pier and they give public tours on the weekends. Your son ( and you to ) may really enjoy it. The ferry ride will give you some great views of the San Diego skyline.

Absolutely skip Disneyland if you have been to Disneyworld.

Solvang is a neat place to stop. It is an excellent choice.

Unfortunatley you will not be able to travel up Hwy 1 through the Big Sur. The road is clsed due to a severe washout and so far they are not saying when it will open. Also June Gloom can be especially bad along Hwy 1. Stick to 101. When you get to Salinas, you can cut across to Monterey/Carmel. Take the 17 mile scenic drive between Monterey and Carmel. It is well worth it.

There is nothing wrong at all with staying at the Sheraton at Fisherman's wharf. Yes it is a touristy area but after all you are tourists. We have stayed at that same Sheraton.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 12:44 PM
lisa

Denise -- If it is any encouragement to you, I was on the California coast from July 3-11 of last year and we experienced no fog except one morning on the Monterey Peninsula. Maybe you will luck out too.

We drove mostly Hwy 1 though, which was fantastic. I would highly recommend a visit to Hearst Castle if roads permit. See www.hearstcastle.org -- tour 1 is great.

Solvang to Carmel is going to be a very long drive.

Go to the Monterey Aquarium if you have time -- it was excellent.

If you have any interest in reading my trip report you can find it by doing a search using the words "California coast" (restrict the search to California too) -- it has some recommendations.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 02:06 PM
kam

I agree with the above poster that Solvang to Carmel will be a terribly long day. If you are beach people, you might want to stay in Santa Barbara or a bit farther north in Morro Bay or on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. If you stop there check the beach wildlife viewing area for elephant seals--your son would enjoy seeing these giants. You need to check on the road conditions if you plan to drive Hwy 1 through Big Sur. There is an 800 number for the CA Hwy Patrol. Skip Disneyland--our version is only the Magic Kingdom, nothing else. Your son would probably get a kick out of "Muscle Beach" and the Venice Boardwalk or Zuma beach in Malibu. La Playa is great in Carmel and do stop at the aquarium in Monterey. You can call ahead to make reservations for tickets which you pick up at the "will call window" rather than standing in line like sheep. Likewise, you can reserve an Alcatraz tour and pay via credit card. You have time now that you could have them mail the tickets to you. You will want to depart from Fisherman's Wharf right about noon or later so you avoid the "June Gloom". By the way, June Gloom is not as bad as you might think. I think it's reputation comes from people expecting absolutely perfect weather in California. Here in the bay area it's usually gone about 11 am. If you'll be here for the 4th of July, be sure to have all reservations in place long ahead. Enjoy. It sounds like a nice trip.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 05:08 PM
cp

Denise-

You've already heard everything that you need to about the fog. Be sure to have at least windbreakers with you in SF, and especially on Alcatraz.

There is a wonderful vegetarian restaurant in SF (the real reason I am posting). It's called Millennium, located in the Hotel Adelaide in SF City Center. The enterior has a very nice feel, cosy and interesting at the same time. It's isn't uproariously loud. The food is so cleverly made and presented. Everything is tasty.
Even though I am a confirmed meat eater, I give this place two thumbs up.

As a replacement to Disneyland, I would take your son to Haight-Ashbury. My friend's 13 year-old niece loves it.

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 07:29 AM
Pat

Just wanted to agree with the other posters about Disneyland. We had been to Disney World several times and loved it, but I grew up in the Mouseketeers era and always wanted to go to Disneyland. We were advised by locals that we would be disappointed but we went anyway. They were right--there is no comparison! So unless you've got plenty of extra time and are determined to go like I was, I'd skip it! Have a great trip. We're hoping to do the Monterey to SF tour this fall and I've been taking notes on all the great California suggestions for months!

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 11:01 AM
cecily

Once again hello. You have gotten lots of good advice.
In defense of Disneyland, it is a much better park for small children. Disney World for a 4-year old is much too overwhelming.
For excellent vegetarian cuisine, visit The Greens in San Francisco. The restaurant overlooks the bay and is one of the few restaurants with a full view of the Golden Gate Bridge--that is if you are lucky enough to catch it on a night that it is not cloaked in fog. They have wonderful food and offer many great California wines. You will need to call soon for your reservations. Their weekend dinners are often booked months in advance.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 12:18 PM
Jud Compton

We're taking a 13-year-old granddaughter to San Francisco in April (spring break). We gave her a list of many attractions in SF. She picked Alcatraz (we have no desire to see it), Metreon (try www.metreon.com). We're also planning to walk from Fisherman's Wharf along the bay out to the Golden Gate Bridge (several attractions along the way). You can also walk across the bridge. There are buses on the SF end that go in several directions. If you wish, I think I can send you a copy of the list as an attachment. And, of course, the cable cars (and even the cable car museum if you have time). San Francisco is one of our favorite cities. (And you'll have a great time in Los Angeles and San Diego, too.)