Best North Carolina stopover?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a road trip (just like the old days) from our home in New Jersey to Charleston, SC during the first week in November. We'll stop in DC for a couple of days before heading down, but it's still an almost 8-hour drive from DC to Charleston, so we'd like to find another stopover.

We'll be on 95 but could venture off for someplace fun or interesting. Does anyone have any suggestions? Raleigh, Goldsboro, Fayetteville?

Also, we may come back north via the coastal route. Is there a scenic itinerary anyone would suggest?

Bob
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 08:30 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Asheville. It would be a rerouting rather than a detour but would be a great stop.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want a REALLY scenic itinerary on your way north you might consider taking one of the ferries over to Ocracoke and then driving north on Route 12 to Nags Head; cross the Wright Bridge and proceed north on 168/158. Then in Norfolk you can proceed up I-64 to Williamsburg and stop there and then on to 295/95 for the return north.

OR in Norfolk take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and follow 13-113 or Delaware Rte 1 north to I-95 near Wilmington.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots to see/do in and around Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - do a search here. Or go a bit further west to Old Salem and MESDA.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM

I suggest NOT staying on i95 all the way to Charleston, on the coast. When you get to I40, go over to Wilmington and then drive down Route 17 to Charleston.
You could stop in the area south of MB for the night--Litchfield/Pawley's Island. Have a GREAT seafood dinner in Murrell's Inlet (I suggest Russell's). Then visit Brookgreen Gardens for a few hours before heading south to Charleston (about 2 hours).
You could also tour the historic district in Georgetown for a few minutes, and then maybe have lunch or a snack at SeeWee, just north of MT Pleasant on route 17 for an eclectic treat.

IF you stop in Goldsboro for any particular reason, have some NC BBQ at Wilber's.

Heading back north, you could do the Asheville stop pretty nicely and then get on I81 to veer on north toward your home.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

That's great, everyone. Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 01:08 PM

As a measure, my NYC friend usually stops in Florence/Darlington when she comes to Litchfield to visit us. This is about 1.5 hours from Litchfield, hence about 3.5 hours to Charleston.
I think you would enjoy a stop even though you could probably do that trip without much problem. There is much to do and enjoy along 17.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM

"You could stop in the area south of MB for the night--Litchfield/Pawley's Island. Have a GREAT seafood dinner in Murrell's Inlet"

If you do, consider the Hampton Inn south of MB -
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...ons/index.html

The hotel itself is beautiful with a coastal décor (think Cape Cod/Nantucket). It's oceanfront and out of the traffic/congestion of the rest of Myrtle Beach. Plus, it's an easy drive to Murrell's Inlet for dinner.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM

As much as I dislike MB, Starrs, who is VERY reliable, has recommended this before, and in looking at it, it looks VERY nice.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 05:14 PM

It's not really MB. It's south of MB, past all of the craziness. I would stay there or the one at NMB (non oceanfront) when I had to be in town on business. I really like the hotel. It's one of my favorite moderate hotels anywhere.

Thanks Gretchen.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Just in case you want the real thing:

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:09 PM

That's interesting--and several are not on there--like Lexington #1. wonder what the criteria are, not that those aren't worthy, as those I know are.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Lots of great places you could stop! We have stopped DC on our way south and stayed 2 nights there (nice Sheraton in Arlington, VA just over the DC line). Took the metro into the city, no driving involved, left our car parked at the hotel. Then the day we left DC we stopped at Mt. Vernon and spent a few hours touring there. A well worthwhile stop, nice house tour and a walk to see where George and Martha are buried. You could then drive south in the afternoon.

http://www.mountvernon.org/

http://discoversouthcarolina.com/trip-planner

Driving time from DC to Charleston is approx. 8.5 hr. or 537 miles so you could drive to Charleston if you wanted. We don't like to push it when we are driving so try to stop after 5-6 hr. drive time. I usually look for a hotel while driving. We have found the travel/hotel brochures you find at the rest areas on the highways and look for something where we anticipate we will stop for the night. You can save lots of money doing this. We have not had a problem w/ any hotel not honoring the coupon.

You can drive from DC to Charleston or Savannah in two ways. One via the Shenandoah and Smokey Mountains west of DC in Virginia and down via Knoxville then over East via Atlanta to Charleston or Savannah. Or straight down the coast to either city. Perhaps on a round trip head west to the western part of Virginia and then south and come back up north on the coastline. (suggested route)

I have lots of other info for places we have stopped from New England (via I87 over Tappan Zee via PA and down south).
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 03:53 PM

One via the Shenandoah and Smokey Mountains west of DC in Virginia and down via Knoxville then over East via Atlanta to Charleston or Savannah.

ARE YOU KIDDING!! LOL Did you have a map!
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Nope this suggestion was on another website! LOL If you don't mind driving then why not go the long way!
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 08:56 AM

To Asheville is a bit of a long way but not bad. Knoxville and Atlanta is really long, and Atlanta to Charleston is boring. don't believe everything you read on the internet!!! LOL !!!
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM

We have done DC, Shenandoah, Smokey Mountaims parkway, Asheville then Charleston over a couple of days.

The first half hour in the Smokey Mountains was bliss. After 4 hours on the Parkway I was suicidal, just the same old trees and a really bendy road.

There are so many beautiful little towns on the VA, NC, SC, GA coast that we never now head inland.

We have in the past spent time in Beaufort, NC as it is really well placed for lots of the coast and for access the the Outer Banks. It has good restaurants and a lovely welcoming hometown feel.

Personally, I would scrap the road trip, fly to Charleston and spend every moment of your break there.

Currently, IMO the best city in the US.
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 01:06 PM

"One via the Shenandoah and Smokey Mountains west of DC in Virginia and down via Knoxville then over East via Atlanta to Charleston or Savannah."

Honestly, Gretchen, I think that's a pretty good routing if one wants to see pretty countryside. If one is in a hurry and wants to get somewhere fast, no. But that's a route I'd easily choose and there's pretty stuff all along the way.

Of course, I came from road trip stock. I gave my parents flight vouchers and they chose to go to Victoria, BC and wanted to go to Calgary. I tagged along for week 1. We picked up a brand new rental van with 6 miles on it in Seattle and I flew out of Calgary. When they returned the van in Seattle after 2 weeks it had 6000 miles on it. 6000?! Where in the world could they have driven to put that many miles on it?!

They easily found a way.

My routing on road trips is all over the place - if I have the time, I'd driving to see stuff.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 02:49 AM

The title is "stopover" which is what I was judging by, not a "road trip". I'll stand by my thought that it is not a really interesting trip between Atlanta and Charleston.
Yes, road trips ARE fun/interesting if that is the plan.
Asheville could be a stopover pretty easily on the way to or from NJ.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 04:59 AM

"Asheville could be a stopover pretty easily on the way to or from NJ"
GMTA

Gretchen, I agree with your post re stopover vs. road trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -