Is Orbitz reputable?

Search

Is Orbitz reputable?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Orbitz reputable?

There are so many online booking websites, and besides the airlines and hotel webistes I've never used any. Orbitz has some good prices, could fodorites who have used them please let me know if they are reputable. I know people who used Expedia to book a hotel and when they arrived at the hotel to check in there was no reservation. Just wondering if I should use Orbitz or not.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never use these middleman websites. I use Expedia for research flights, Trip Advisor for hotel reviews, but then I buy my plane ticket direct from the airline, and make my room reservation direct with the hotel front desk.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM

I have used Orbitz several times for airline tickets, they are indeed reputable and I have never had a problem.
These sites--Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity--are online travel agents. Just as with terrestrial travel agents, using one has its plusses and minuses.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Always check the price direct with the source. Sometimes there's no need to book through these sights unless they have a special deal. I have found with hotels, almost always you can do just as well, and sometimes better, by booking on the hotel's website, especially if you can use a discount (AAA, AARP etc).

I always start off with Kayak, and now Bing to do the comparing, then I check on the hotel and airline sites as well.

That being said, all those mentioned (Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity) are reputable and I have used each of them one time or another.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Orbitz along with Expedia and Travelocity are indeed reputable.
I also check direct and use Kayak and sometimes Priceline.
I just got back from Kauai for a week and stayed at the Grand Hyatt and tried to go direct with Hyatt to see if they could match my deal on Expedia of flight/hotel/car for $1,400 pp and the hotel alone was $2,500 and the flight was $1,900 and the car $350..total $4,750.00 vs. $2,800 on Expedia with a savings of $1,950.00! So it pays to research on third party and direct..direct isn't always the best way to go.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM

I think Orbitz is reputatble, but personally I like http://www.kayak.com better. It compares Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and a few more.

-Jonathan
http://www.askoncall.com
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM

I've used Orbitz several times with no problems. I also like to use kayak.com to compare prices between several of the online travel brokers. Then, I will often call the hotel directly and see if they can offer the same rate I've found online. If they can, then I book directly through the hotel. Occasionally, they will tell me they can't match that rate. In that case, I book through the website I found it on, then call the hotel and confirm the reservation. That way there are no surprises at check in.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM

NEVER USE ORBITZ. After being an Orbitz user for a few years, I have now experienced the ultimate in the worst customer service. In March, I booked our flights for our son's wedding in CA in July. On June 11, Jet Blue sends us email that they have stopped the flight we are on and the only solution is to fly from Chicago to LaGuardia to LAX. Unacceptable. On June 12 I spent 2 separate phones calls of over an hour a piece with the Orbitz call center in Manila. At that time, they assured me that we had been rebooked on American going out and United coming back. I called and had another long conversation a day later, since we had not received email confirmations. On June 13 we received emails, one from each airline, confirming us as "ticketed", with record locators and seat assignments. This past Friday night I went online to check in for our flight and print boarding passes. When it did not work, I called American and they reported that we had no ticket number assigned; Orbitz had not transferred any money to them from our other tickets. "What?! This is for my son's wedding!". I then spent 5 hours on the phone with the call center in Manila, first a Marie, then someone else, then someone who was supposed to be from the "advance exchange group". I continually reminded them to look into their own database to determine the details from the modifications that were made on June 12-13. They seemed not able to do this. After 5 hours on my cell phone, their only solution was for Jet Blue to fly us from ORD to La Guardia to LAX. What?! When I asked them what Orbitz was going to do for us to make us whole, they started some double-speak about Jet Blue owning the ticket now. I wish we could post this someplace very public to warn everyone to NEVER TRUST ORBITZ. They should be out of business.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I know you are upset, but it is impossible to understand your complaint. You need to calm down and repost.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM

cdurandgraves, you had me at "call center in Manila."
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM

This is a two-year old post that someone pulled up. But since it's here, I'll bite and answer the question too.

Reading Cd's complaint, I would just say that your routing was absolutely terrible, but at least you had a ticket to your son's wedding out of the deal. And it does seem they dropped the ball in promising you an alternative but not following through. Still, you were able to make it to the wedding.

Our own experience with Orbitz: We were not able to get nearly the deal from any direct airline website as we did from Orbitz. And believe me, we called around and checked lots of sites.

But the Orbitz promises and rules aren't nearly as generous as say, Alaskan Air's Vacation Packages. When we booked Disney through Alaskan (a whole package, car and room too) there was a price guarantee. If flights to our destination drop in price, we'd get a credit card refund. And this happened and we received a credit.

Orbitz when I placed the order over the phone the guy told me they also had a guarantee. A few weeks after I bought the tickets, Orbitz emailed me there was a price drop to my destination. I called to get the money off, and it turned out that it was only a price guarantee on my specific flight. Not a plane an hour earlier or later the same day even. So price adjustment for me. Why they emailed me, I'm not sure. It was a waste of an hour on the phone.

Even so, the price was a competitive one for the tickets (especially at the time I bought them). Should I have waited 2-3 weeks to buy them? Maybe. But I had to order my hotel in New York and frankly was running out of time on that point. So I wanted the airline tickets too.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 10:12 PM

Correction: 'So NO price adjustment for me.'

Last minute tinkering always causes an error somewhere!
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Orbitz is reputable, as are other sites like Travelocity and Expedia, but they are not perfect.
I agree that they are best for researching but you should always compare with the hotel's direct booking price, and it's usually best to book directly with the hotel.
If you do book through a middleman, you can always call the hotel directly to confirm.

A very good site I've been using lately is booking.com
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 01:27 AM

Hi all:
I have been ripped off by Orbitz. I boutht a June 2013 trip to London in April, but my son died suddenly a few days later. I tried to cancel my trip from April to June, but was told that I can't cancel the trip.
I have bought cancellation insurance as I always do. But it somehow turned into accidents insurance not the cancellation insurance that I bought.
I called more than a dozen times and get answers from call centers located overseas. I had problems talking to them.
I will never go back to Orbitz again.
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 03:53 AM

THis is an OLD thread. I am sorry for your loss, but you made the mistake on the insurance. The learning from this for everyone is to be VERY careful when buying non-refundable tickets and how you cover yourself.
I wonder what would have happened if you spoke directly to the airline.
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 04:43 AM

Did anyone else notice that both individuals who revived this old post were/are first-time posters? I'm suspicious!
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 04:51 AM

Orbitz is reliable and reputable. I have used without problem.

As with any of the third party on-line booking agencies, if you have to make a change; it isn't easy. It will cost more.
I would only use third party if I were absolutely certain that plans won't change.

As for the complaints about refunding non-refundable fares, no different than booking direct. You now take a $200 kick in the pants change fee and are faced with highest rates if you make a short notice changes. Orbitz's kick is no different than any other air plan
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Suspicious of what, HowardR??????
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM

"I would only use third party if I were absolutely certain that plans won't change."

That seems a little harsh stumpworks. Who plans on dying suddenly?
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM

Lately we've been flying Frontier Airlines as it is convenient for us. One thing we've learned. Unless you book directly with Frontier, you will get charged for your carryon or checked bag and you cannot prebook your seat. They are doing everything in their power to MAKE you book directly.

Meanwhile, has anyone found a better fare on Orbitz than you can get by booking directly with the airlines? I haven't, but have used it to check out things before booking directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -