Phoenix - Scottsdale - Sedona - GC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I continue to frantically search for a four-night mid-March tip with Hubs and 12 and 14 year old kids, I came across a decent deal at a very decent hotel. So, is it realistic to spend four nights at the Intercontinental and still see Sedona/GC and not be too exhausted?

I love the idea of a day just spent lounging at the resort spa with perhaps dinner in Scottsdale. It would also be wonderful to explore cliff dwellings and Ghost towns. I believe these are in/near Sedona. Children and hubs would probably love a jeep tour or rafting. I read that the Botanical gardens are wonderful as are hikes at Camelback. Obviously, this is easily more than four nights. But, how do I even consider getting that close to the GC and not see this. We have never been there and of course want to go.

Lots of pressure, especially considering we are only down to a few spring breaks with our oldest before she goes off to college.

Please help!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hmm. Perhaps I should look at skipping Phoenix and making side trips out of Sedona. Any thoughts on any of this?
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM

We just got back last week from the Arizona Biltmore for 4 days and then 2 days in Sedona and you can do either day trips to Sedona..takes about 2 hours each way..
The Montelucia is a lovely resort and I would want to hang there for 4 days..day trips to Sedona and Jerome.
I would skip Grand Canyon..not enough time
Take in a Spring training game with the Padres at Peoria..good fun and up and close with the players.
We have a suite booked at Montelucia for a week in July when its stinking hot...love it!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Really? Thanks you so much. So, it is not just a beautiful resort with all sorts of ugliness around it? Someone just told me to avoid Phoenix at all costs because it was just one strip mall after another with a resort or two plunked in. Would you do the Montelucia over the Hilton in Sedona? I am really excited about the Montelucia but am worried that I will regret not being in Sedona.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM

If you and the kids have never been to Grand Canyon, I would bite the bullet and do a trip up to the most spectacular place in the world. If you have to go up and back in a day it will be a long day, but I wouldn't be so close and miss it. I would try to do a bit of a hike down into the canyon, even 15 or 20 minutes.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

So then, would you stay in Phoenix or Sedona? I know Sedona is closer, but love what I read about this Phoenix resort. (I know, kind of silly)

I guess you're right. so you think it compromises the experience to not, for example, ride a mule into the canyon?
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM

If you want to visit the Grand Canyon then I recommend one night at either Sedona or (better) the Grand Canyon near the rim. You can do Sedona on a day trip from Phoenix (4 hours up and back) but GC is just a bit too far for a comfortable day trip since it would mean at least 8 hours of driving up and back.

Mid-March is great in the Phoenix area, with major league baseball spring training in full swing and I think we'll have a very lush desert wildflower bloom this spring due to all the rains. With four nights I'd split it up either 2-2 or 3-1 unless you want to skip the GC.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. The more I read and learn the more I realize that I should plan this potentially amazing trip for next spring break and devote a whole week to it. I'm going to save this info and continue to look for something else. I guess it is back to the drawing board.

However, I am so grateful to have a head start for next year. Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:39 AM

If you are flying in to Phoenix, then I would stay a night or two at the Montelucia. It is gorgeous as is that part of Phoenix/Scottsdale. You can visit this blog about Phoenix and get some ideas of things to do throughout the entire state. Check it out - http://planeteyetraveler.com/travel/...erica/phoenix/

Have a safe trip!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I still have not booked anything -- leaving in two weeks. But, after reading this I don't know how I can not go to Phoenix. Perhaps we'll just have the four nights at the intercontinental and make a day trip to Sedona.
Would you fly six hours for four nights? People have told me I'll regret that. However, it doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM

look at last minute deals on expedia.com but you need to get cracking on a room since this is high season and they have several teams for spring training.
Give me your dates and I'll look for some deals for you!
I would do 2 nights in PHX and 2 nights in Sedona.
You could do a SpringHill Suites or a Hyatt Place..don't know your budget.
I've flown 18 hours for 5 days..6 hours is no big deal.
Go out and have some fun in the desert sun.
It'll be good for all and we'll help you get some good deals too.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

The best deals on Expedia allow you to stay at one place and I reallly would love a resort feel. So,is the intercontinental nice?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM

We're doing a similar trip a couple of weeks later. With only four nights, I'd suggest a day in Sedona and be sure to book a Pink Jeep tour there. I would hold off on the GC until a future trip. If you'd like another day trip, head down to Tucson to see the desert museum.

That would leave two full days at the resort (or golfing, taking in a spring training game, shopping, Botanical Gardens, visting an old west town, etc.).
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

The Phoenician and the Intercontinental are about the same price a little over $700 per person including air and tax from the 13th to the 17th. The Phoenician is a little cheaper,but from what I read on this forum I should go for the IMC. Booking through Expedia I get bad flight times -- won't get in until 11 PM and can't take advantage of the deal of resort credit for $400. But, I am really getting excited about this.

Any thoughts before I press that book button??
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

A Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona sounds great! I am getting so excited. Where are you staying ChiDad?
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM

I would do the Inter Continental Montelucia just because its new and gorgeous.
$400 resort credit at the Phoenician?
That is a nice chunk of change..we have stayed several times and make sure if you stay to get one of their casitas near the pool.
Pink Jeep Tour in Sedona is one of the best tours.
Have lunch at Enchantment resort at Yavapai..make reservations or the gate guard won't let you in..
Stunning property!
Hike Boynton Canyon..

www.enchantmentresort.com
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM

you can change your flight status below for very little or no money on expedia if you have a crappy flight in or out..

keep us posted!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Darn. Turns out to be closer to 3500 even with less than ideal flight times/durations. Do just bite the bullet and save this for next year? Hubs is second guessing my decision because we lose most of a day in the air.

Wait! Is there a great place where he and son can take a day-long/half golf workshop nearby? That would be a huge carrot.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

oh yeah, he's just suggested a golf vacation or a trip to a golf resort near Charleston -- short distance.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Did you check Southwest vacation packages along with other airline vacation package deals?
You don't want to lose a day if you can help it especially since you're only there for 4 days.
Some of the best golf courses are in Phoenix area.
We play the Biltmore course and if you have a $400 resort credit would be a nice carrot and the pro is great there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -