Broadway's "Passing Strange"

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen this musical? I had originally thought I didn't care to, but after winning some Drama Critic's awards and hearing more buzz about it, I'm curious what people who have seen it think.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM

I'm very interested in seeing this show, especially after reading several reviews that compared it to Rent and Spring Awakening (both of which I love.) Anyways, a friend of mine saw it in mid-March (she's 25 and a big theatre fan - she goes to New York 4-5 times a year) and she said this about it:

"I think this was my favorite new show. First of all, it was really, really, really loud. Painful loud. However, I really LOVED the story and the themes. All the actors were terrific and format of the show part concert/part play was really interesting. I liked several songs and hope there is a cast recording. It's really hard to explain, but I hope it does receive some recognition because I think it is a really honest piece of work with a good story."
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Well, it's now a moot point, but I'd like to hear opinions anyway. The reason I asked was due to an email from Broadway Box about discounts for it being extended into June. I just checked and got two seats, fifth row center orchestra for a matinee for $48 each -- so we're going!

Incidentally, this is really weird, but our seats are normally Premium seats at $151.50 each. I go to the regular website for tickets and click premium for that day, and it offers the two seats right next to us for $151.50 each instead of the $48 I just paid with the code. Go figure.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Oh my gosh - what a deal! Those seats sound fantastic. I have one more opening in my 4 day trip in July to see a show, and it's a toss-up between Passing Strange, In the Heights, and August: Osage County. I'm interested in people's impressions as well.
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I absolutely loved it - well worth seeing. It deserves the Drama Desk & it should do well at the Tonys. It does have a rock score, but one that appeals to the generations that grew up with rock & roll (i.e., not a kids'show, but 20-somethings will still enjoy it.) I think it is way, way better than Rent or Spring Awakening - maybe it has been compared to those shows because none of them have traditional show-music scores - but they are really not at all alike. Passing Strange has a more adult perspective, as well as a fantastic cast, and a great sense of humor and irony.
My only caveat: If you absolutely hate rock music, it may not be for you - maybe there is a sample of the music on the show's website so you can prescreen a bit.

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Interesting. After I bought my two tickets at that great price, and then found the two next to me for more than three times that amount, I went back to the website to see about buying two more at the discount to see if it would show those two next to us which were clearly still available. Nope. The best ones they showed then for discount were 7 more rows back and on the side. I kind of suspect the ticket website "screwed up", but I'm not complaining.
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM

My sister saw it a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it - she really couldn't stop talking about it.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I saw it with a friend when it first opened and we both liked it very much although I felt that it was more of a downtown, off broadway production and may not have wide appeal on Broadway. I don't like blasting music and thought the sound level was so fine that I could understand all the lyrics. Since then I have other friends who have seen it and didn't like it and complained that the music was way too loud - go figure!

bethke14 - August: Osage County was wonderful - can't be compared to Passing Strange - like apples and oranges.

Incidentally, the actress playing the mother in Passing Strange is the niece of Angela Davis (60's radical). Her training is so impressive - Harvard undergrad, followed by performing arts degree in NY (I forget which school) with double major in singing and playwriting. She was a Pulitzer finalist for a play she wrote last year and she has a new CD out with songs she wrote and performed. What a talented lady.

I saw Thurgood yesterday - I liked it very much - very interesting life and performance - I learned a lot.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I'm glad I resurrected this thread and found that out about Angela Davis' daughter. The whole cast was so talented!!! Saw the news today that this show is closing in just over a week. Really too bad. i thought it was great.