Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston's Freedom Trail: Is it do-able in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Cape Cod for a week in August and I was thinking of adding on a extra day to see Boston. I'd love to spend two days in Boston, but we also want to spend a day in Plymouth, including Plimouth Plantation, so it looks like one day only in Boston. (Actually, if we leave Buffalo early enough, we can get to Boston in time to do something in the evening) So, can the Freedom Trail be done in one day? We'll have two 13 year olds with us, and I know they can keep up the pace!

Also, what area should I look for a hotel in that is convenient to the trail?

Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I can't suggest a hotel, I stayed with friends, but we did the freedom trail. Yes, it can be done in one day. I am guessing with 13 year olds they aren't going to want to stick around a read everything so you should be fine.
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Here is a link to The Boston Insider that gives a lot of information about the Freedom Trail: http://www.theinsider.com/Boston/att...ns/2freetr.htm

While it is fun to go to Boston, I am not sure that the Freedom Trail would be at the top of my list.

Marriott Custom House and Marriott Long Wharf are very close to Faneuil Hall, which is part of the Freedom Trail (and which the kids will love because of the food and the shopping)
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Bunkhedena, thanks for the Boston Insider website. It's very imformative.
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Living here is different as a tourist.. If you are staying in town, from Copley Square walk to the Public Garden, and cross Charles Street, there you can visit Beacon Hill - Or continue acrloss Charles into the Boston Common that will take you to the od burial cemetary
or Filene's famous basement(which the kids may not like
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Another question please......is there somewhere to park outside Boston where we could take the train or subway into the city? I'm thinking if we're only going to visit for one day, maybe we'll save some $$$ and just leave the cape for one day (we'll be in Hyannisport), visit Boston, and back to Hyannisport that evening.

I'm just weighing my options....thanks!
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Alewife T station in Cambridge is where comuters into Boston park.
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Back in the dark ages, we did the Freedom Trail in one day with children. At the end of the trail we were able to hop a 'tour boat' of some sort back to Faneuil Hall, a great break on a hot afternoon with the wind encircling you.

Also, beware! As you approach the vacinity of Old North Church, there is a lovely old church that IS NOT Old North Church! Read carefully before you take your children's picture in front of it. You may end up with a picture like mine labeled "A very nice church in Boston originally thought to be Old North Church."
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Lol,polly, tell me where, as I live here never heard that. Which church? Do you remember the name or where exactlt?
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Coming from the Cape, you can park in Braintree or Quincy and take the T (subway) into Boston. The Braintree stop is Exit 17 off Rt. 3. The Quincy Adams and Quincy Center stops are both off Exit 18 or 19--Rt. 3 skips an exit, I forget which one. All are very easy to get to off the highway. They are about an hour from Hyannis. However, if you're driving during rush hour, which lasts until about 9 a.m. on Rt. 3, the last 15 miles could take 45 minutes, so plan accordingly.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:54 PM

To Cigalechanta--I am not sure if polly is referring to this church but I just recently did the Freedom Trail w/some out of town guests and there was a *lovely* red brick church down Hanover Street and for a minute I thought it was the Old North Church--It was not, ONC is down the other side of a little grassy plaza on another street--and was much larger than the "impostor" on Hanover Street.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM

thanks, socialworker, once the big dig's dust has settled, I'll try to se this place that eludes me but, perhaps know.
Are you in Boston? Like to meet?
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:41 PM

That's probably it, socialworker. I looked back in my photo album and do not have it named other than the previously mentioned caption. Sequentially, it is just BEFORE getting to ONC on the Trail; I seem to remember a grassy area across the street or maybe a stone plaza. The church is red brick with white horizontal trim and the steeple is 'squarish' with arches on each side of what looks like a belltower (one if by land, two if by sea? LOL) Hey! Looked good to me! My children and husband bought into it, even!
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:39 AM

Regarding parking at MBTA stops and taking public transportation into Boston. There has been much complaining and some written about commuters who must get to MBTA lots very early in order to get a space - by 7:30 AM or so, depending on location. From north of Boston, most lots for commuter train fill by that hour and most MBTA lots in this area fill a little later. I know, because my husband does this commute several times/week. Some stops have private lots at a slightly higher cost nearby, but many do not.

August volume tends to be a little lighter, and I am far less familiar with parking issues south of Boston where you are planning to stay. You might want to post a question specific to Boston MBTA parking lot fill times - or something like that or perhaps others will comment here.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:06 AM

The parking garage in Braintree, being the southernmost end of the subway system, does tend to fill up early on work days (even in August). The garages in Quincy are not right off the highway like Braintree's so are trickier to find, and of course they fill up next. I would strongly recommend that you choose a weekend day for your day trip into Boston.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Another thought regarding Freedom Trail in one day. Of course you can "do it" in one day - the walking distance is not all that great. The issue is how much you can see in one day - so go to the website and do some preplanning about priorities.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:41 AM

To cigalechanta--sure, meeting would be very nice. I did not go to the GTG b/c I do somewhat cherish my anonymity and a large group felt somewhat overwhelming. A lunch at Chestnut Hill Legal's sometime after Memorial Day??
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM

socialworker, I don't drive so if it's ok to lunch somewhere on Newbury Street or in Harvard Square? I'm at hotmail.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:26 AM

HI ciagalechanta--upon further thought, while I would *love* to meet you--you sound like such a fun and intersting person--alas, for a number of reasons, I think that I have to hang on to my "secret identity". I hope that does not sound too weird, altho I realize it probably does...When I first signed up on Fodor, I wish I had given more thought to my screen name and chosen something that did not reveal anything about me...But since I did, I am stuck w/it and now feel I must remain anonymous.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:11 PM

I have followed the last 3 posts with interest - even though they are not directly related to topic since I have often wondered the same thing about identity here - and hence have never attended any of the get-togethers. Especially since my screen name is not my real name anyway - but I have revealed other things about myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -