Reload this Page >

Hudson River Amtrak to Albany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:49 PM
Vicki

Hi east coasters! We are planning a trip to visit friends in coastal CT in April. Would like to drive over to the Hudson River area (say Ossining/Croton area; please accept apologies if I'm off base on names but I'm just going by my atlas), turn in the rental car and hop the Amtrak to Albany. We traveled to the Kingston area a few years ago and LOVED the area along the river and thought a train trip through the area would be great. Here's my question: does anyone know about the Croton-on-Hudson train station? Hard to find, etc? I've read on the Amtrak site that Hertz and Avis rent cars there so am assuming you can return their cars there as well. Also, is that a good "hopping-on" spot to enjoy the Amtrak to Albany? Thanks for your help.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Daniel Williams

Hi

I've TAKEN Amtrak from New York City to Montreal and in fact I'm doing it again in just a few weeks. The train ride IS indeed gorgeous, I think was named one of the world's top 10 most scenic by some travel magazine.

The views of the Hudson are indeed gorgeous going north to Albany; I think getting on at Croton-Harmon will give you a taste of the view. That said, I think it's the Albany-Montreal stretch with the most spectacular views, particularly between Saratoga Springs and Plattsburgh.

Enjoy. DAN

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:19 PM
Howard

The Croton-Harmon train station is easy to find. It's just off Route 9, along the Hudson River.
Why not take the drive instead? You have a choice of roads and it is a beautiful ride, with many, many choices of where to stop. And, many of the choices offer spectacular views of the Hudson, as well as interesting sites and sights to see. Start with Kykuit (the Rockefeller estate) just north of Tarrytown and work your way north!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:02 PM
Vicki

Thanks for your responses. One reason we probably wouldn't drive is lack of time, as is usually our problem. We travel with our teenagers on their school breaks and our time is limited. Another question: it appears that there isn't much distance between Yonkers and the Croton-Harmon area. Is there much to see on the train between those two points? A little timid about driving too far into the NYC area. Finally, are you aware of trains (probably commuter) that run from Mystic, CT area into the NYC area, and do you need to go all the way into Penn Station to get the train north to Albany? Thanks again.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:36 PM
Daniel Williams

I believe many Amtrak trains, including the Acela Regional go from New London to New York Penn. Fewer Amtrak trains stop in Mystic itself but check it out. To my knowledge, the Metro North commuter train. I believe only runs as far as New Haven...and I'm afraid, if you want to do it all on the train from Mystic/New London, you will probably have to go into New York City...others may know better than I though.

Enjoy.