Where to spend an extra day/night heading to the Berkshires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of a schedule change we find that we will have one day/night to spend on our way from Newport, RI to Lenox. We can't amend our reservations to add an extra day in either of the locations because the hotels we're staying in are all booked out. If you had this problem where would you use this time? We'd like to head in the direction of the Berkshires but wonder if there are some interesting places/things to see on the way where we should stop and spend our extra day? Thanks for any recommendations and suggestions.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM

What about Mystic, CT?
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
yk

Have you been to Old Sturbridge Village? It's on the way and I've enjoyed my visit there.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM

I second Old Sturbridge Village, too. If you are taking Mass Pike to Lenox, it's along the way. Mystic is nice, too, but would be in the opposite direction, although not too far out of the way. OSV would take a full day.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 01:39 AM

Googlemaps.com shows Mystic isn't too far out of the way, in fact going thru Hartford is the same mileage and only a few minutes longer. YK did a great trip report on Hartford a while back.
It really depends on your interests and time of year. Basically the two most direct routes are a 3 hour drive. I think the native American museum at Foxwoods in pretty close. If it's late Sept even the Big E fair in Springfield would be an option. You could make a little detour to the Yankee Candle store (it's huge) Sturbridge is a great suggestions unless it's a hot, humid day.

I would take the Hartford route because I think there's a Penzey's store there. Also, if you are traveling on a weekend, I would check to see what events are going on along the route. There's a nature museum near Mystic that has a wild mushroom festival in late Sept. A stop in Providence with lunch on Federal Hill (Italian). Visit Johnson & Wales culinary museum?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:27 AM

Litchfield, Connecticut, is beautiful, an you can visit the White Flower Farm nursery if you like gardens. In general, northwestern Connecticut has lots of tiny roads with nice villages and good scenery.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM

I also agree with dfrostnh's suggestion of spending a day (at least) in Hartford. We spent a long weekend there several years ago & really enjoyed it. You can tour Mark Twain's house & Harriet Beecher Stowe's house. If you like art, the Atheneum is a phenominal museum! Also, West Hartford is nice for shopping & dining.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:40 AM

Old Sturbridge village is a lot of fun; the Big E not so much. The Litchfield area is beautiful but so similar to the Lenox area. I think I would go to Hartford.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions...I will look into them...it's a great place to start...I appreciate it as I have no frame of reference to that area.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM
yk

Thanks for the shout-out, dfrostnh, about my Hartford trip report.

AlReady2Go, if you're interested, here's my day trip to Hartford report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...or-9-hours.cfm
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions...I just purchased a driving map and will scout out Hartford, old Sturbridge and Mystic...they all sound interesting and look easy to get to. No place seems that far away...only 2-3 hours at most to the Berkshires from wherever we end up. Appreciate all your help and suggestions.