alan wong restaurant honolulu

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it still good? have not been but want to go in January next year. Sometimes reputation exceeds the real thing. I presume I should make reservation for the original one on King street vs Pineapple room in the Ala Moana Shoppng Center. made reservations before but had to cancel and this time I want to go. advice???
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alan-wongs-restaurant-honolulu

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...hu_Hawaii.html
[#7, the first 6 are hardly top places]

http://www.opentable.com/alan-wongs-restaurant?tab=2

So, even though we ate there in 2006, I am guessing it is still good.
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:15 AM

Shar
Alan Wong is one our favorite eateries especially for special occasions and yes you should go to the restaurant on King Street. Make reservations well in advance- they fill up quickly especially around the holidays. Couldn't get in last year around Christmas or New Years. It has a very strong following with local families.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM

We had dinner there in February--the food was fabulous--the whole tomato salad was divine and my DH enjoyed the poke-pines (a take on the island favorite-poke)--the five spoons of five different flavors of brulee for dessert was delicious as was the rest of our meals. The boutique coffees-for after dinner-all from the various Hawaiian islands were a real treat.

Call 2 months to the day before you want your reservation and you should be able to get.

It was memorable!
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

will be staying at the Hyatt - how exensive is a cab ride to the King street restaurant. what about the Pineapple room. Is it not as good as the original....Thanks for all the help...
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Pineapple Room is more of a lunch place inside Macys. The food is not the same. If you're looking for something similar to Pineapple Room, I prefer Mariposa inside Neiman Marcus. If you're looking for a special night out, then go to Alan Wong on King St.
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM

We had a car so I don't know how much taxi fare would be. It seems it took us about 10-15 minutes to get there from Waikiki.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

does anyone know about cab fare to Alan Wong's?
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Per Hopstop, $6.32
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

what is a "hopstop"...is that a destination point when the fare changes?
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM

I look at the menus of Alan Wong, Pineapple, and Mavro. Price aside, does one need an educated palate to appreciate this food? A lot of the items listed didn't appeal to me.
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 10:45 AM

I don't have an "educated" palate - just one that loves food that tastes [and looks] great and if it is in a place that has great service too, it's an added bonus.

I loved every bite of the food at Alan Wongs. It is at the top of my list of best meals including Jules Verne in Paris. I never had Foie Gras before and loved it. Never had an “New Wave” Opihi Shooter and it was fun! You get my point. We did the tasting menu and we really enjoyed it. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Alan Wong's is one of my favorite restaurants. I've eaten there 3 times within the past 8 years, and each time was consistently good. A lot of the flavors are pacific rim/asian influenced. My favorite dish is the Opakapaka (fish) with the chinese style pork hash on top. Delicious! The kalua pork grilled cheese with tomato soup is also a great appetizer. A lot of the food is sourced locally, and the cocktails and wine list are also great.

I do recommend the tasting menu. Note that there are 2 tasting menus nightly and they request that everyone in your party does the same one. However, since it was just me and my husband, they graciously agreed to let us each try a different tasting menu so we could try everything. We got 11 dishes in total between the 2 of us and each one was different. It was an amazing meal. This is a great place for foodies. There is no "view" so don't go here expecting a beach view. Can't wait to go back! Note, I have not tried Pineapple Room, but I plan to!
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Pineapple Room shouldn't be compared to Alan Wong's King St restaurant or Chef Mavro. It's fine if you happen to be going to Ala Moana mall but not something I'd go out of my way for.

Between AW and Mavro, I think the food is more approachable at AW although neither is somewhere I would take a meat and potatoes person.

I posted about our recent meal at AW on another thread and thought it was as good as ever. The smaller classics tasting doesn't need to be ordered by the whole table, only the larger chefs tasting and it sounds like even that they'll make exceptions for. Current prices for the tastings are $85/$105. We ordered a la carte this time but I wanted a dish that was only on the chefs tasting and they obliged.