Search

Long Beach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Sue

Long Beach

Will be spending about a week in the Long Beach area in June. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent hotels? Is Long Beach a pretty safe place to stay or should we look elsewhere. (will be seeing some family in Cerritos).

How about sites to see. We're two 30 somethings with no kids. Don't want to do the Disney, Knotts Berry Farm type stuff.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Floridian

How about The Queen Mary?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:12 PM
John

Check out the Belmont Shores and Naples area, at the south end of 2nd near the marina. Lots of fun shops, cafes, bars, plus the Naples neighborhood, my vote for most desireable place to live in all of So. Cal. Hamburger Henry is (or at least used to be) the best burger joint on the west coast IMO.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Sandy

There's not a whole lot to see in that area. Besides the Queen Mary, there is also a nice aquarium but it's not as big as the one in Monterey. You could try a visit to Laguna Beach. There are lots of shops and galleries. The Getty Museum in L.A. is only a short drive away.
I agree that the Belmont Shores area is by far the nicest in Long Beach. I'm not sure about which hotels are there, though.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Diana

I live in LA so I don't stay in Long Beach (too close) but there are Marriotts and other chain hotels; some
right across the street from the beach.
Check out the theatre in LB, some downtown, some at Cal State U Long Beach. There's a famous used bookstore, Acres of Books, in downtown Long Beach with the Book Baron near it if you're into that. The Living Room is a great coffee house. The Naples area has gondola rides with gondolas imported from Venice, Italy. There is a more "arty" section of Long Beach that has an art walk a certain day a month. Go on line to the LB Visitors Center and you can get lots of info.
Like most cities, there are a few museums and specific sites, but otherwise the pleasure is in exploring a city with lots of ethnic restaurants, one-of-a-kind shops etc.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Diana

Near the Queen Mary, you can catch the Catalina Express for a one hour ride to
Catalina Island for the day.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:34 PM
mt-x

I actually spent the weekend in LB 2 weekends ago (went to see Cirque du Soleil-Dralion). I didn't go the aquarium but I spent time at shoreline village, went on a cruise in the Harbor. Didn't visit QM either...as with the aquarium, that's another visit.
I had a fun time though. Downtown LB at night seems like a party town!!
I agree with a previous post: a day trip to Catalina would be fun.
As for hotels, I did the budget route...stayed at the travelodge on Atlantic...it's not far from the beach area. I was okay for a budget inn but I'm sure there are nicer places to stay nearby.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:04 AM
gail

Just a warning on Queen Mary. If you stay there don't get the cheapest room. They are in the center of the boat (no view) and the carpet was pretty dirty in the one they tried to put me in. Decor is not pleasant. I upgraded and for only $16.00 more I for a "stateroom" with two portholes. The art-deco historical value is great, but the boat is showing it's age in places.After four nites I was READY to leave, my husband loved it.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:30 AM
David

Sue,

They have been spending quite a bit of money lately in an attempt to spruce up downtown Long Beach. The result is that a once derelict area is now teeming with restaurants, shops and nightlife. There is still a lot of work to do but many areas have become quite nice.

IMHO th e aquarium is well worth a visit. Even if you've been to the Monterrey one, you will still find much to admire at the Long Beach version. I also agree with the poster who suggested Naples and Belmont Shore. Great area to walk around in and shop, eat or people watch (plus it's just a few miles from downtown). Catalina is a great idea since at that time of year there are several departures and returns each day--some of which depart from downtown LB.

Long Beach is fairly centrally located so don't hesitate to spread your wings and explore other areas. The drive to Laguna Beach is beautiful along Pacific Coast Highway and would only take you an hour or so (traffic permitting). You could also jump on the Freeway in LB and go to L.A. for The Getty and other sites.

Have a great trip.

David

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM
x

I graduated from CSULB and left LB ten years ago, so I don't know how much it has changed, but I can tell you some of our favorite things that we enjoyed while there:

1. Gondola ride through the canals of Naples Island
2. Catamaran to Catalina -- snorkel, rent motorized golf cart and drive around the island
3. Bicycle/rollerblade along the oceanfront bike path
4. Seal Beach - cute community, nice pier, nice beach for sunbathing, relaxing, we rode our bikes from Long Beach to this beach for the day
5. Bolsa Chica Beach - they have cement fire rings where you can build a fire on the beach, have an evening picnic, that sort of thing
6. Belmont Brew Pub - right on the beach (near Second Street, if I remember correctly), great ocean views inside, nice beachfront deck, nice saltwater aquarium in the window
7. Walk through Belmont Shore - cute surf shops, art galleries, ice cream places... Favorite restaurant there was Bonnadonna's Shorehouse. Also had lots of great little bars for a good pub crawl, including Murphy's, which used to be an old theater.
8. Day trip to Laguna Beach -- favorite beach in So. Cal, LOTS of little galleries, cafes, pretty beach (no oil rigs in site), tide pools.
9. Concerts at the Hollywood Bowl - You'd have to check on this, but there used to be a bus that would take you from LB to the Bowl for concerts, and everybody brings picnic baskets for a feast there.
10. Lighthouse on a cliff near San Pedro - can't remember the exact location, sure you can find it on a map. We had a picnic on the bluffs and actually saw a whale in the ocean below.
11. Huntington Beach - another good beach for cycling, rollerblading, sunbathing, swimming. They had boogie board rentals and such if you can brave the water.
12. Getty Museum - this was located in a rather small house in Malibu when we lived in LB, but of course, they have since moved into a fabulous new location.

My husband just traveled back to LB on business and stayed at the Westin overlooking the ocean. He said it was a very nice hotel with beautiful ocean views.